Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A Couple of Skimmer Questions
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:02   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default A Couple of Skimmer Questions

I couple of issues came up in tonight's game that I would appreciate your views on.

1. My opponent claimed that when my skimmer got a 'crew stunned' result it scattered D6!

2. How high can a skimmer, and crisis suits, hover! If my skimmer is on flat ground can it hover high enough to shoot over a 2/3 storey building?

Roland
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:15   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager
Default Re: A Couple of Skimmer Questions

1. It doesn't. However, if you're opponent only has the 3rd Ed. Rulebook, then there is a part in there about skimmers drifting.

2. No, it cannot. You may fire over terrain up to Size 2, or use WYSIWYG terrain rules.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

WYSIWYG terrain rules? ???
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames
I couple of issues came up in tonight's game that I would appreciate your views on.

1. My opponent claimed that when my skimmer got a 'crew stunned' result it scattered D6!

2. How high can a skimmer, and crisis suits, hover! If my skimmer is on flat ground can it hover high enough to shoot over a 2/3 storey building?

Roland
1. No. Tell your friend the last edition wants it´s rule back.
;D

2. No, your skimmer is a tank... it is treated like any other tank in the game. for area terain you compare the heigth levels, for linear terrain you jdge the LOS depending on the models.

Same for crisis... they are just normal infantry as far as LOS is concerned.

Nothing "hovers" anywhere.

So no, you cannot fire with your hammerhead over a 2 stories building. Period.

I would truly say go read the rulebook. Not to be offensive, but alot of your questions gave me the impression of you just learning the game "by plaing", as in having friends teach you... nothing wrong per se, but keep in mind that most people don´t know the proper rules or keep up wih FAQs and erratas. So spend some time with the big book. It will pay off.

Oh, and use it for reference during games. Such rule-arguments can easily be cleared with the rules at hand.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

At my local GW skimmers can move over any size terrain and if you want you can hover it over terrain and essentialy get LOS to the whole board/everything gets LOS to it. :-\
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
At my local GW skimmers can move over any size terrain and if you want you can hover it over terrain and essentialy get LOS to the whole board/everything gets LOS to it. :-\
That was my next question!

Can you 'hover' over a three storey building with your skimmer and oe crisis suit?

I have read the rule book, codex and IA3 but it is difficult to find the relevant rules because they seem to be spread out.

I am new to the game but not wargaming so tend to accept what those who have been playing for a lot longer tell me and then check it out later.

Roland
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solourus
Sure. I'll let you have LOS to everything on the board. By that same token, all of my autocannons are now shooting your hammerhead that's "behind" the building. ::)

Skimmers are just that: they 'skim' over the ground. They are not flyers, they are certainly not jumping up and down 100+ feet at a time, and only if you are on top of REALLY high ground or are playing on planet bowling ball are you going to be able to see the whole board.

Sorry, didn't read you post very well.

While getting on top of terrain does give you a wider line of sight, if there is intervening terrain of enough height it still blocks your LOS.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:51   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Skimmers do not land at the end of movement and can end movement above impassable terrain or buildings. Suits land after moving so they can land on top of buildings if there is room but I don't remember the rule for impassable terrain and jump troops.
Head Taker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Nov 2007, 06:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordGames
Can you 'hover' over a three storey building with your skimmer and oe crisis suit?
You (usually) can move those models on top of a 3 story building, and from where the actual model sits you draw LOS etc. You can't lift it any higher (with your hands, etc.) saying that it's hovering to get it even higher, or to change it's POV. As this is a regular building (not area terrain) you use real LoS.

Area Terrain (covered in the BGB) works on an abstract level because your working with abstract terrain, i.e. these handful of trees represent a thick forest, etc. When a skimmer is moving over such area terrain, you basically ignore the terrain feature when determining LoS. The skimmer counts as hovering over the area terrain feature, but you still draw LoS from where the vehicle is actually placed on the table. The only real effect is that since the skimmer is supposed to be hovering over the terrain, you can't use the terrain to block LOS. Hope that clears it up a bit.