Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

IA3
Old 30 Oct 2007, 23:41   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default IA3

I was just messing around on FW, wishing I had some money to make a purchase or 3 when I found that they showed a couple sample pages of the IA3. Only 5, looked interesting and it included the table of contents.

After looking through the table of contents, I noticed that just about all the Tau vehicles that were in there, were also in the Codex, save the Tetra.

If that's the case, why should someone buy the IA3? Other than the fluff and Epic rules.

((On a side note, do ya'll think the Tetra might go in the next codex while simultaneously it becomes a plastic model like the Piranha?))
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 23:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: IA3

i've got to admit i think the same thing. Its not worth spending £55 (if your in england don't know how much in US) for all of the fluff.
The whole book is like 320 pgs long and only 30 odd pages are actually rules you might need or model rules (unless you collect tau and IG then its about 40pgs).
the extra things in IA3, now with the new codex, is the options for an AA mount on the skyray, different weapons for the hammerhead, tetras, gun turrets, sensor turrets, heavy drones, some special crisis suit configs, knarlocs (hehe giant chickens) and of course the barracuda, tiger shark, manta and orca, if your tau (i can't remember what the IG get and am to tired to go check). So there is actually still abit more stuff than you thought but not alot more.

i only got the book cause my friend was quitting 40K and he had 'alot' of stuff he wanted to get rid of :P

lastly i would like the tetra to come out in plastic because i really like the model but i think, if GW do, it will be a couple more years till it might come out but then its not very likely.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 00:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

There's actually a lot of stuff in there that you won't find elsewhere. For a start there is HEAPS of art and army background. The book just keeps going and going.

Then there are rules for non-standard-codex units - as mentioned above, Hammerhead Variants, Tetras, Drone Turrets, Drone Variants, Crisis Suit Variations (The XV81, XV84, XV89 have different rules), and the rules for the Flyers.

Some of this, especially with flyers, you can't use in normal 40k without the extra rules for aircraft that IA introduce (it's in there somewhere).
Old 31 Oct 2007, 00:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

The rules for the heavy vehicles and the flyers are in the very back. And It's weird, the XV-89 and Iridium Armour upgrade both do the same thing but cost different points... Is it possible to take both in an army?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 01:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
The rules for the heavy vehicles and the flyers are in the very back. And It's weird, the XV-89 and Iridium Armour upgrade both do the same thing but cost different points... Is it possible to take both in an army?
Yes.
The XV 89 is an 0-1 choice for an HQ suit.
The Iridium Armour is an 0-1 piece of wargear for whoever wants it.

Thus, it's perfectly feasible to have two 2+ Sv commanders buried somewhere. (usually with broadsides)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 02:01   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

I purchased IA3 for the simple reason that I play both Tau and IG, I love them for the TO&E they present to the reader, also enjoyed reading about the painting doctrine for each army, The thing I enjoyed the most was that Tau believe in a two color scheme, one dark and a lighter shade of the some color in their camo patterns, and that they do not use vehicle marking that much, also enjoy reading the the background information (fluff). Oh I hope they don't release the Tetras in plastic as I've already purchase 2 sets.

XV88-2 Pilot
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 02:07   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Hmm, IA3... Let's see... If you like Guardsmen dying and in general acting like cretins, then IA3 is for you. Damn, it was like reading Team Yankee all over again. The Americans are portrayed as perfect, while the battle hardened Russians are so incompetent that they can't even put their shirts on right. In short, the Tau do everything perfectly while the Guard FUBAR the whole thing.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 02:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
In short, the Tau do everything perfectly while the Guard FUBAR the whole thing.
Yea, sort of like "Kill Team" from the Black Library, only in reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va'Ukos
After looking through the table of contents, I noticed that just about all the Tau vehicles that were in there, were also in the Codex, save the Tetra.

If that's the case, why should someone buy the IA3? Other than the fluff and Epic rules.
Well of course no one buys the FW book for the regular codex entries, FW just added that stuff for the fun of it. People buy the FW for the stuff you don't find in the GW codex. The fluff, epic rules, BFG rules IIRC, the tetra, and if I'm not mistaken rules for several battlesuit varients as well as a special character, as well as human aux., etc. etc. Their's quite a bit then just the Tetra in the IA3 book.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 02:26   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legio Mortis
In short, the Tau do everything perfectly while the Guard FUBAR the whole thing.
Yea, sort of like "Kill Team" from the Black Library, only in reverse.
Yes, everyone gets theirs once, but the Guard get hammered whenever someone needs to look good. Hell, when the Tallarn, who are supposed to be masters of desert warfare, get hammered on their turf and look totally incompetent, it crosses the line. Not to mention what the commanders choose to do.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 04:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Don't forget, Legio Mortis, the desert is the Tau's turf too - and their long range firepower, high mobility, and natural affinities for hot, arid climates means fighting with them on planet dustball is almost a done deal without proper air support (which the Tau Air Cadres properly prevented the Imperium from having) and access to water reserves (which the Tau also assured the IG didn't get their hands on).

The IG Regiments themselves did the best they could with the resources they had, militarily. They actually had some pretty good moves concerning master strategy and overall objectives (going for the Kroot in the highlands to prevent a future flanking maneuver, for example), but the execution was fair at best and the High Commanders royally botched the initial deployment and heavily underestimated the Tau's grasp of desert warfare.

Had Taros been anything but a hostile desert world with little in regards to food and water, the outcome of the battle, considering the numbers involved, would/could have turned out much, much differently.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote