Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Piranha Survivability
Old 30 Oct 2007, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Piranha Survivability

Extremely quick question...

For those that love piranhas, how do you keep them alive? What tactics do you use?

I find piranhas difficult to tactically plan around. They are extremely fragile to shooting due to being open topped - I mean even a glance has a 33% chance to destroy them (50% if you don't have decoy launchers and moved enough to make the immobilize kill). This doesn't bode well when my weapons (either 18" BC or 12" FB) have to get extremely close to connect. Usually it ends up that I might take one shot, then an enemy moves to a flank, gets my 10 side armor and downs me.

I've heard of people keeping them "hidden" then grabbing an objective with the 24" move at the end, but I like my points in my army doing something during turns 1-5.

So please share, what tactics have worked for you? How do you keep heat off your piranhas so that they stick around?

-Aun'Shasta
Livin' in the Fish
Old 30 Oct 2007, 16:34   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Piranha Survivability

By having much bigger and nastier things for my opponent to be fussing about....

Seriously, if you opponent is shooting your piranhas, the rest of your army should be laughing at him.

I arm mine with Fusions, and like you, love the lil buggers. They support my anti tank units, usually by tactically using terrain to avoid shots until they can let rip on an enemy tank. When a Piranha nukes a LR, it more than earns its points back

The objective grab is not too bad, but they can be active as well as doing that, including dropping drones, flanking the enemy, picking on isolated units etc.

There is also the suicide Piranha tactic, which when it works, makes their points back and doesn't matter that they die. Give one 2 seekers, get first turn and rush a flank. Use markerlights on an enemy tank, and slam 2 seekers into the side (or rear, when facing the tactically inept) armour, right where it hurts.

Quote:
if you don't have decoy launchers
Good god, you don't give them Decoys!?!?!?

Don't - its a waste of points, and being open topped, nets them virtually zero benefit. Aside from increased crash odds, by RAW, decoys cannot even work on them* (although who uses RAW :P).

You are much, much better off not using decoys on them. Once hit, they have a 50% death chance, not something you want to risk twice.

* - reason being, that decoys work when "your opponent rolls a 5 on the glancing table", which, being open topped will never allow decoys to affect them. If he rolls a 4, its bumped to 5, but he didn't ROLL a 5, and if he rolls 5, its bumped to 6, so no affect. Yes its petty, yes, its stupid, but this is GW we are talking about here, and there will always be someone petty enough to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

hehe the shock on my friends face when his land raider blew up from seeker missiles from my piranhas:P (it was his only tank left and i amazingly rolled 6 then 5)

i do feel kinda sorry for the piranha afterwards though :-\ my friend hasn't learnt the word overkill yet ;D
Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Ah, but whats the loss of ~80points, compared with destroying 250+?

Thats why the piranha is very nice. Mine weigh in at 70/75 points, which is nothing on the grand scheme of things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:49   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

I love Piranhas as well. But usualy Im to scared to let them get out of cover Im using one at the moment but got another one standing by. Giving him a fusion just like the first one.

The only impressive thing a piranha in my force ever did was taking a critical objective last turn
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 18:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Can't you turn your vehicle to face your attacker, even during your opponent's turn?
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 18:45   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Va'Ukos
Can't you turn your vehicle to face your attacker, even during your opponent's turn?
Nope. You can turn it during your movement phase, or during your shooting phase if you didn't move it that turn. You can not move it at all during your opponent's turn.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Nope. You can turn it during your movement phase, or during your shooting phase if you didn't move it that turn. You can not move it at all during your opponent's turn.
I'd hope so, think of how stupid that would be...your opponent keeps turning the tank in circles whenever you call it out as a target so you can't hit the rear or side. :

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 21:12   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
I'd hope so, think of how stupid that would be...your opponent keeps turning the tank in circles whenever you call it out as a target so you can't hit the rear or side. :
There's a 12 year old at my GW that's been doing that...which is why I asked. I'm new and recently got my army (still haven't had a battle) but I watch a lot. I'm pretty certain you weren't allowed to do that, but I didn't want start anything. The kid's rather annoying.
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 21:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I personally like to run my Piranhas with a Targeting Array, Fusion Blaster and Flechette Discharger at the least. Makes them great for hunting tanks and heavy infantry, and assaulting units won't want to do much against them (Needing 6s to hit and have a chance of wounding before even getting to hit it. ;D)

Though, I'm a bit curious, do the Gun Drones get to attack back in assault? I mean, they are passengers on an open-topped vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote