Default Worst Loss Ever!

Okay here is how it goes...

250 points

Me:Tau
6 vespids no strain leader
1 sniper drone squad
1 battlesuit with twin-linked plasma rifles and targeting array

Him:Space Marines
8 tacticals, veteran seargent, plasma-bolter combi thing, plasma gun, and plasma cannon, melta and frag grenades.

Basically I was owning until my vespids lost in close combat and kept on running till they went off the table. Battle suit dies from plasma gun. 3 SM left including seargent. 3 shots from my snipers 2 dead seargent left alive. he charges into CC kills three drones. My turn. My spotter tries tries but fails, I pass my leadership. He slaughters me. End of story. Except in the end I forgot I could have pinned his marines. I was so mad!
moomeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2007, 04:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti
Default Re: Worst Loss Ever!

And this is why combat patrol rules were invented: because 40K isn't balanced under 500 points.

Next time fight a larger game, make sure you keep some distance (especially with the sniper squads) and bring some firewarriors! Vespid are not really useful- statistically, they will always lose to a decent sized space marine squad if they are not supported by massive amounts of firepower.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2007, 04:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

Just a quick question, What type of marines was he playing ?
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2007, 04:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

250 points isn't really a fair fight for anyone involved. And Vespids aren't a good choice for combat patrol. They're far too expensive, and have no leadership whatsoever without the Strain Leader. Which, by the way, you actually have to take. ^^;
Old 29 Oct 2007, 05:18   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I thought you can't pin marines because they are fearless ???. Or am I thinking of something else??
<-Please click!
Blue blurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2007, 05:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to XV88-2 Pilot

moomeyer, Try this next time, Fireknife Shas'el w/target array - 1 FW SQD of 8 - 1 FW SQD of 7 (247pts), it gives you a stand off range from the FW while the Shas'el can JSJ, keep the FW static and in cover and use your Fireknife to draw him in closer to withen your rapid fire range, your volume of fire should have a greater toll on them then on your FW this way.
TAU BATTLE RECORD AS OF 3 FEB 08

LOSSES 1
DRAWS 3
SOLID VICTORY 8
CRUSHING VICTORY 4
VICTORIOUS SLAUGHTERS 2

ARMYS PLAYED AGAINST SO FAR,

BLOOD ANGELS - BLACK TEMPLARS - DARK ELDAR - ELDAR - NECRONS - TYRANIDS - DARK ANGELS - ORKS
XV88-2 Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2007, 08:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by XV88-2 Pilot
moomeyer, Try this next time, Fireknife Shas'el w/target array - 1 FW SQD of 8 - 1 FW SQD of 7 (247pts), it gives you a stand off range from the FW while the Shas'el can JSJ, keep the FW static and in cover and use your Fireknife to draw him in closer to withen your rapid fire range, your volume of fire should have a greater toll on them then on your FW this way.
NEXT time, he should try a legal Combat Patrol force, and a Shas`El isn`t allowed in Combat Patrol.

Honestly, games this small are unbalanced to the extreme. 500 points would be unbalanced, either, but that`s why Combat Patrol rules have been invented.

BTW, how did he manage to kill your Crisis? Were you playing on Planet Bowlingball? No terrain to JSJ behind? Crisis Sutis should be nigh untouchable when fighting a single, isolated squad of footsloggers...

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: "Worst Loss Ever" seems like Hybris to me - all the "illegal army lists" and "unbalanced points" beside, you put up a quite good fight, taking out all Marines save one.
Trust me, you`ll live through much worse defeats...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Oct 2007, 18:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not as bad as one of my games. It was a 2 vs. 2 400-500pts per person combat patrol IIRC. My partner is a khorne player that likes to go heavy with the optoins, and I think we broke a few rules with him taking daemons, etc. I was using a fairly static Tau force (it was a small table so mobility really wouldn't help. Our opponents was a combined space wolf and SoB force (basically a lot of 3+ going around). I think by the end of turn 3 my partners 1 uber berzerker unit got routed by a combined force of repentia and blood claws (thus no daemons came in :) and my army had completely broken (due to poor LD) and was either fleeing, or off the board already.
Old 29 Oct 2007, 19:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

the worst defeat i have seen was to my chaos friend, 1000pts. I slaughtered his whole army without losing a man! (he did an entire cc army.) he did make it to combat, with 3 bikers. they fail to kill anything. Ethereal kills 2, fire warriors the other!

And, i don't think that list was too good. I would just have taken 25 firewarriors,that would have pt the hurt on.

always give vespids a strain leader, you need the leadership.

why were the vespids in combat? You should have stood back and shot, with the vespids hiding behind cover. this means that army is immune to heavy weapons.
1. vespids are in cover
2. your crisis suit is doing jsj
3. your drones have a stealth field

When he runs towards you, jump out with the vespids and pepper with fire. this will weaken the squad, or kill it. Then, is there is anything left, charge with vespids. Move everyelse away from the combat. he will then sweeping advace to rapid fire plasma and sniper drones.

I wouldn't recommend giving targetting array and twin linking, one or the other.

cya

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Oct 2007, 17:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

there are so many more 'worst loss ever' abit more tragic than your one.
i have lost 50% of my army from a single cc unit (hate chaplains and assault marines)