Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Power Weaponed Tau Forces
Old 28 Oct 2007, 19:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Power Weaponed Tau Forces

Ok, So I'm sure that most users seeing the above four words in a sentence entered this thread to cry 'Fluff Rape' and no it can't be done! I personally don't think in the scale of 40K and in the spirit of game balance it is realistic either... and yet...

Epic seems to have rules for such a Human Auxiliary Suit. They can be found here. The suit is designated as the XV29 Zashi suit, and was (is) given to some of the HQs of human forces fight under the Tau. The suit is almost identical to an XV15 but without a Stealth Field and with the inclusion of a Power Weapon.

The author of the article writes:
Quote:
This new suit type forgoes much of its predecessor’s disruption equipment to facilitate capacitors for power weapons, as unlike the Fire Caste, the Gue’senshi have no qualms regarding close quarters combat.
Furthermore it is noted that the suits hardly compare to any of the Tau's systems but are still an honor for human troops to wear.

As far as modelling the author writes:
Quote:
In modelling terms, picture an XV15 model in 40k-scale, with its boots and free hand replaced with those from a Kasrkin sergeant, as well as having a power sword attached.
Its an interesting concept and one that at least seems to 'allow' for the inclusion of Power Weapons in the Tau's combat doctrine. It'll at least give most CC Tau guys something to think about, and give everyone else a nice counterpoint.

And besides, I just wanted to stir up some trouble.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 20:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Power Weaponed Tau Forces

hmm would they really give suits to humans though?? i'm not to sure but it does give you an option for decent cc.
by the way where are the rules for this, because does it have any shooting and does it have a normal tau jetpack or does it become jump troops??
just wondering
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I don't see why they wouldn't give out Battlesuits, especially if it's been over 5 Tau generations since the humans have joined(in the second sphere no less!).

I'd guess it moves at Jump Infantry(Jump Pack) and not Jump Infantry(Jet Pack), but I think it would be better as Jet Pack with the ability to carry a weapon(say a modified Burst cannon which gives fewer shots).
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:20   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I´ll just pull off a "Wargamer" on this and say that, as far as I am concerned, these Gue`Vesa Suits with Power weapons don`t exist.

Logically, they can`t. Therefore, GW is wrong.

First off all, it is not established that battlesuits are given out to humans. I highly doubt it, and even IF they would be given out, they would surely NOT be designed for CC - after all, battlesuits are expensive, and the last thing you want is them being all scratched up/sliced open/maimed/destroyed in CC.
As for: "the humans are 100% integrated, why shouldn`t they get battlesuits": Battlesuits are one of the highest honors a Firewarrior can reach in his career. They`re the best of the best of the Tau military. Why should they award humans with this? The dangers are far too big, at least as long as the Imperium is still around. Humans are buyable, unreliable. The Tau may see them as integrated, but that doesn`t mean that they have full access to technology. It even makes sense to have a "praetorian guard", so to speak, of the most loyal and devoted people - in this case: Tau battlesuit pilots.

Furthermore, why should the Tau support such a barbaric effort as sending troops into CC? Not even Kroot are sent into CC directly - to ambush troops, yes. Scout the enemy, yes. But directly into CC?
Why should a human, no nearly as strong as a Kroot, get support (i.e. a battlesuit with power weapon) for something he is not that good at (i.e.: CC), and which doesn`t fit into Tau tactics, when he could instead get a bigger gun?

And, last but not least: Power Weapons are NOT common, mass-produced items (no matter what the armylists say ). They are either old artifacts or hand-crafted by the best craftsmen in the galaxy. How could such items fall into the hand of the Tau, or even the Gue`Vesa? And even IF they do fall into their hands, how do they repair them (why should the TAU repair them? CC is barbaric for them, after all)? The Tau would most probably lock the Power Weapons up (Harrison-Ford voice-over: "This should be in a museum!"), instead of repairing them.
And the Tau BUILDING them is out of question, and I doubt the Gue`Vesa have the knowledge or even the industrial capacity to produce these weapons on their own.

So, the whole concept of the Epic unit is that the Tau are equipping people they don`t trust completely with suits that don`t fit into Shas`ar`tol tactics or philosophy, and arm them with weapons they don`t have.

I rest my case.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

touche :P
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Bonesaw - you're right except for one nitpick:

Quote:
And, last but not least: Power Weapons are NOT common, mass-produced items (no matter what the armylists say ). They are either old artifacts or hand-crafted by the best craftsmen in the galaxy.
Falsehood. If they're handed out to Guard officers with frequency, and can even be found relatively commonly in the hands of Hive Gangers, they're not nearly as rare as you say. They're not some kind of arcane, lost technology. Powerfield tech is pretty widespread.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dra'Tuisich-Novae
Quote:
And, last but not least: Power Weapons are NOT common, mass-produced items (no matter what the armylists say* ). They are either old artifacts or hand-crafted by the best craftsmen in the galaxy.
Falsehood.* If they're handed out to Guard officers with frequency, and can even be found relatively commonly in the hands of Hive Gangers, they're not nearly as rare as you say.* They're not some kind of arcane, lost technology.* Powerfield tech is pretty widespread.
Well, yes. But they are not as common as, say, Lasguns/Flashlights.

I mean, even Commissar-Colonel "my regiment had 2.000 men for three books! Even IF we went into some serious meatgrinders!" Gaunt is using a Chainsword for the first three books. A CHAINSWORD.

So Power Weapons are definitely not easy to get, not easy to maintain, and most importantly quite difficult to produce (about as difficult as Power Armour, I´d figure).
So, the Ganger who has one better watches his back...*

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 21:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Humans may have a large number to start off with, however, I doubt the Tau will try to replicate them (waste of resources/time?) so they may be irreplaceable (I doubt the Guard can easily manufacture them). I also doubt that Guard outside of the commanders would have access to suits.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 22:49   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I would have to agree with CmdrBonesaw on the rarity of power weapons and the likelyhood of the Tau handing out suits to humans but that doesnt rule out a special character, maybe a highly loyal Human underling/leader/representative guy of Aun'va.

Well thats what id do :P
Old 28 Oct 2007, 23:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes tau have given CC suits to humans on various worlds. Check out first tau codex.

Pg. 63 second to last paragraph talks of Tau suits finding their way to Necromunda. It is known as the "hunting rig" of the spyre hunter gangs. armored CC suits, self-sustaining and self-repairing which records the wearers every action.

Hopefully some day Tau might see them as an advantage for their own use!
Getting beat about the teethes and gums by every race in the galaxy in CC might hopefully knock some sense into their heads.

Otto is offline   Reply With Quote