Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Confidence in Tau
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Confidence in Tau

I've only played a single 500pt game with my Tau, so I'm not really experienced enough to have a good first-hand 'feel' of how Tau are good to collect, but I'm starting to feel a bit pessimistic about their weaknesses and how they don't seem very...beefy. They need to jump-shoot-jump, kill their enemy before any close-combat happens, obstruct assaults with the 'fish-of-fury', their plasma rifles are weakened for safety and there are those tedious rules rush as the Pathfinders have to bring a 'fish and the Farsight Enclave can only fight with their commander.

But I'm certainly not thinking of quiting just yet, as I like their intresting background ideology, they are not as sickeningly common as the Space Marines, and while the 'pulse rifle them before they assult us' tactic seems rather wimpish, it does give a musket-like tension to the game, needing every shot to count. Although buying a strong Chaos or fast Dark Eldar force to charge into the fray is temping, I might enjoy the strategic 'combined arms' style of the Tau with their markerlights etc. As for the hobby side of it, I like the style of my custom cadre and the look of the models, being very elegant and high-tech. Overall I see them as high-tech individual underdogs, using strategy and technology to overcome their stronger opponents (not that Chaos etc doesn't need strategy )

So, What i'd like to know is.... is it possible to play aggressively with Firewarriors and other Tau units without doing fishes of fury and other opponent-shy tactics? And, what is the greatest thing about Tau that keeps you collecting/playing?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan
Default Re: Confidence in Tau

Yes playing "aggressively" is possible,very much so with crisis suits.Also if you wana feel a bit more "beefy" try playing along with some kroot. They always give me that extra dose of manly testosterone that my army craves for.
The biggest thing that keeps me playing is the fact they don't need to be in the opponents face to do damage,or the most successful damage to completely win, while in some cases they still can.

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I wouldn't quite class the fish of fury as shy, but still if you don't enjoy that crisis suits can be played very "in your face" as can stealths and of course kroot and vespid.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseman
I wouldn't quite class the fish of fury as shy, but still if you don't enjoy that crisis suits can be played very "in your face" as can stealths and of course kroot and vespid.
It's the way that they have that fish obstructing the enemy assult, rather than charging in there like a brave (or mad) soldier. As if they just have to use some obstuction if they are goning to get anywhere near the opponent.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan

In no ways do I mean to be rude to you or discourage you but thats the "wrong" way to play if you feel like charging with said Tau,then charging with Kroot. Kroot are'nt all great with close combat but with the right upgrades and amount in the squad they can be more then useful.

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 16:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak

You could try a radical army list. You could include lots of Kroot, Vespid, and Battlesuits with close range weapons like Flamers and Fusion Blasters. This would probably confuse your opponent... An army of Tau charging towards them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill
:sadnshocked:
Pedophile, bisexual, weirdo banana!
ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:02   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

The jumpy-shooty nature of crisis and stealth suits is appealing as it is similar to the Tachikomas (to an extent). Being the Ghost in the Shell fanboy that I am, I might make some minor tachikoma style mods to the suits; but only minor changes such as the eyes and antennae, as having a four-legged suit with a large semicircular head would just look un-Tau-like and possibly illegal in tournaments. Ah, why did I have to be a GitS fan instead of a Gundam fan? :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'ui Ra'shan
Yes playing "aggressively" is possible,very much so with crisis suits.Also if you wana feel a bit more "beefy" try playing along with some kroot. They always give me that extra dose of manly testosterone that my army craves for.
The biggest thing that keeps me playing is the fact they don't need to be in the opponents face to do damage,or the most successful damage to completely win, while in some cases they still can.
Aye, I might enjoy that combination of conservative shooty units with the feral Kroot. Positioning their mad poses was a nice throwback to when I used to collect Orks years ago (before quickly quiting due to the cost).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'ui Ra'shan
In no ways do I mean to be rude to you or discourage you but thats the "wrong" way to play if you feel like charging with said Tau,then charging with Kroot. Kroot are'nt all great with close combat but with the right upgrades and amount in the squad they can be more then useful.
Indeed, which is why I've brought a krootox and possibly some hounds later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'vre Koyaan Ki'vak
You could try a radical army list. You could include lots of Kroot, Vespid, and Battlesuits with close range weapons like Flamers and Fusion Blasters. This would probably confuse your opponent... An army of Tau charging towards them!
Speaking of lots of Kroot, is it possible to legaly play with an army list that is a Kroot Mercenary army with just a few Tau units?
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Personally I'll be fielding about 40 kroots carnivores, and some vespids, so my tau will probably be a bit more agressive...especially with the suits that goes with it.

But you got to keep in mind that Tau Fire Warrior (and their tactics) evolved from Hunters. Their either 'Stalk' or 'Bait-and-Wait' their prey/enemy. They don't charge into their prey.

And no, Kroot mercenary CANNOT be combined with Tau units. The Tau frown upon the kroots habit of selling their service for DNA samples.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard

And no, Kroot mercenary CANNOT be combined with Tau units. The Tau frown upon the kroots habit of selling their service for DNA samples.
Shame, as those winged Kroot look quite versatile. :

But fluff-wise, what's the difference between having Kroot in a Tau force and having Tau in a Kroot force? The only problem I see is that the Tau units might have a problem with being commanded by a Master Shaper instead of a Shas'o.
Old 28 Oct 2007, 17:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

If you look at Page 2 the first paragraph pretty much tell you which army will not take the Kroots in, each for their own reasons. Tau already have 'Empire' Kroots, it makes no sense for them to hire, even encourage, the mercenaries.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote