Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau vs Tyranid question
Closed Thread
Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau vs Tyranid question

I am an utterly new nub to warhammer 40,000 and I have a problem.* How can i defeat a Tyranid army(1500pt) which is using both ol one eyes and Red Terror.This person also uses about 20 synapses to guard his tyranid Hive Tyrant.* Is there a rule for tau that lets them bypass the guardian thing or what, im at a loss on stratedgy here?*
Thankyou in advance.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus
Default Re: Tau vs Tyranid question

Ouch, sounds pretty powergamy. I'd say take burst cannons for the little thingys, backed up by railguns to take out the big 'uns. Kroot are good to divert lesser 'gaunts, but for Synapses and Guard you need tougher stuff. Hammerhead submunitions might do the trick, or mass plasma rifle.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, normally you have to shoot the nearest unit unles you pass a Leadership test, right? Well, versus Tyranids, you don't. You can target anything you want. Plus, Monsterous creatures are targetable regardless anyway.

First there's this: There's only one Old One Eye; no more...no less.
Then there's this: Old One Eye and The Red Terror can never be used together. It's in the codex.

On top of that, it sounds like 20 Hive Mind creatures is too many. I dont' see how it can even be done, unless you are meaning to refer to other gaunts and stuff like that which are benefitting from the hivemind but aren't actually generating it. Hive Tyrants, Warriors and Zoanthropes generate hivemind and grant thier LD to the other bugs around them, but they're the only ones that do it.

Solution? Shoot them!!!

What does you army list look like? Can you post the list you're useing here? Type it up and we can help you better to defeat this cheater buddy of yours.
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:34   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

He's using tyrant guard, eh? *^_^

Use a mobile mech tau army, which you can find here;
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/%7Eleebj/index.html
(READ VERY CAREFULLY, AND READ IT ALL)

When everything can move 12", you can just outrun his big heavies and concentrate on the faster things with wings or what not. *Remember, even if his hive tyrant has wings, if he has guards he can only go as fast as the slowest model.

After you are finished with the part of the army that can catch you, kill the rest at liesure. *railgun toting hh's work great, so bring 2, and at least 6 crisis with PR, MP, MT. (fireknife config), and finally a Shas'el with plasma/fusion or plasma/missile pod.

That, plus lots of fw's in fishes, should smoke him. ;D

And remember that no tyranid unit can block LOS to another tyranid unit. (LOS=line of sight)
So if theres some gaunts in the way, you can shoot over them!
Also, even if the Tyrant JOINS a unit of gaunts, you can pick him out.

Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:47   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AunLa
Well, normally you have to shoot the nearest unit unles you pass a Leadership test, right? Well, versus Tyranids, you don't. You can target anything you want. Plus, Monsterous creatures are targetable regardless anyway.

First there's this: There's only one Old One Eye; no more...no less.
Then there's this: Old One Eye and The Red Terror can never be used together. It's in the codex.

On top of that, it sounds like 20 Hive Mind creatures is too many. I dont' see how it can even be done, unless you are meaning to refer to other gaunts and stuff like that which are benefitting from the hivemind but aren't actually generating it. Hive Tyrants, Warriors and Zoanthropes generate hivemind and grant thier LD to the other bugs around them, but they're the only ones that do it.

Solution? Shoot them!!!

What does you army list look like? Can you post the list you're useing here? Type it up and we can help you better to defeat this cheater buddy of yours.
That was very helpful, but im sorry i havent started a list yet im trying to figure out what works best, buying models today(he is one of two ppl i will be fighting the most so this is why i am asking about strategy)so I dont exactly have a list although I have been looking at others to get an idea.* *He claims that even if i target his hive tyrant one of his synapse creatures will just take every hit and others would take hits from other units shooting.* I really enjoy knowing that i can shoot "over" units.

edit:* he claims he found a way of getting about 20 "guards"(synapses?) for his tyrant.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Yep, only tyrant guard (and they have to be part of a squad with the tyrant) can block shots.
Old 24 Mar 2005, 00:56   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaldun
Yep, only tyrant guard (and they have to be part of a squad with the tyrant) can block shots.
Thanks dude I can now straighten this whole thing and have a better chance...
Old 24 Mar 2005, 01:36   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

this should be my last question for today. Lets say I aim a rail gun at a synapse and there are guants around him/it. Could the guants take the hits for the synapse?
Old 24 Mar 2005, 01:43   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archngel
this should be my last question for today. Lets say I aim a rail gun at a synapse and there are guants around him/it. Could the guants take the hits for the synapse?
No.. Because:

A: They are Monsterous Creatures...

B: The tyranids have a thing called "Shoot the big ones.." It basically says, opponents aren't stupid when fighting nids, they know to shoot a carnafex over a guant.. so you can alwasy aim at his big bugs..

Hail Olianus Pious! Patron Saint of the Imperial Guard! Savior of the Emperor!
Old 24 Mar 2005, 02:01   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You can choose what unit type to shoot at. However, you couldn't for instance pick out a mutant gaunt among gaunts.

I said it earlier; hive tyrants can only hide if they have guard with them. Otherwise you shoot at WHATEVER you want.