Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

cheap deathrains?
Old 27 Oct 2007, 21:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default cheap deathrains?

I have always used the deathrain configuration with TL-ed missle pods and TA, but i am currently putting together a 400 point combat patrol list and I need to free up some points. So I am going to use one 3 man squad of deathrains without the TA's, hopefully keeping them cheap.

What I want to know is can i use deathrains with TL-ed missle pods (of course) and drone controllers? They would be 43 points a model and the whole squad would only be 129 points! They would be quite accurate and with a markerlight or two would be devastating to any infantry squad! I plan to get markerlights from two sniper drone teams. I will also have one more separate monat deathrain (with TA) dedicated to popping transports/anything with an armor value. Between the AP3 of the sniper drones and AP4 of the missle pods, I will be denying armor saves like crazy against just about any combat patrol force! The only problem is a lack of shots.

Anyway, I don't see anywhere that i can't give them drone controllers, but I just want to make sure.

O and here's this list if you want to see it! ;D
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=55553.0
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 21:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: cheap deathrains?

If you buy DCs, you have to include at least 1 Drone (see your Ta Codex, page 24-25, the DC-description).

If you include one Drone, you could invest your points in a TA instead, with better results*

IF you want to keep them cheap, buy a Flamer. Or BSF. But in the end, it`s just a difference of a couple of points, and the TA really gives you a great performance boost:

Deathrain w/BSF: 46 points: 1,5 hits/turn: 0,0326... hits/point
Deathrain w/TA: 53 points: 1,7777 hits/turn: 0,03354... hits/point

While the difference isn`t much on a point/point basis, it is quite much if you look at the hits/turn statistic.

But in the end, it really boils down to personal preference (with me rpefering ultra-reliable Deathrains).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 21:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

You could however use a Blacksun Filter instead... it's if I recall cheaper than the Targeting Array by a good bit.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 22:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

CmrBonesaw whats with the commas for decimal points? BTW?

Well if we are talking Deathrain configs only then I can't be much help, however I might add that perhaps putting in a target lock may be useful to split fire if your opponent tries to spam some light vehicles (i.e. Sentinels) at these low point levels to take advantage of few AT weapons.

However at these Low point levels I would always think points invested in Stealthsuits to be much better spent as you can guarantee to inflict heavy infantry casualties everyturn and with the lack of large amounts of troops this can winn a game by turn 2 or 3.

Genmotty
Genmotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 22:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ahh, I didn't know that you have to inculde a drone. Thanks for clearing that up! I am considering using the blacksun filter, but when you do the math i think its worth it to be ultra reliable.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 22:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genmotty
CmrBonesaw whats with the commas for decimal points? BTW?
That`s how we in Austria show decimals. Not with points, but with commas.

We also write dates like: Day-Month-Year, instead of Month-Day-Year.

We`re a strange people, if you haven`t already guessed. But our ways make, in a twisted kinda way, sense ;D

Quote:
However at these Low point levels I would always think points invested in Stealthsuits to be much better spent as you can guarantee to inflict heavy infantry casualties everyturn and with the lack of large amounts of troops this can winn a game by turn 2 or 3.
I don`t know - I`d prefer Deathrains over Stealths, just because they are more versatile:

One TA-Deathrain ~ 2 Stealths.

2 Stealths vs. MEQ: 3 hits, 2 wounds, 0,666 dead Marines
1 TA-Deathrain vs Marines: 1,8 hits, 1,5 wounds, 0,5 dead Marines.

Advantage Stealths, but only by a small margin. Sure, the Stealths may cut down GEQ like ripe corn, but I seem to be facing more and more MEQs these days... MEQs in Rhinos... Add the greater range and the vehicle-hunting ability of the MPs, and it`s the Deathrain, hands down.

Don`t get me wrong, I support Stealths in CP. Just not to replace Deathrains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
You could however use a Blacksun Filter instead... it's if I recall cheaper than the Targeting Array by a good bit.
Yes, BSF is one point cheaper than the Flamer - this is what Ive used in my calculations: 46 point BSF Deathrain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh
Ahh, I didn't know that you have to inculde a drone. Thanks for clearing that up! I am considering using the blacksun filter, but when you do the math i think its worth it to be ultra reliable.
Yes, a compulsory Drone was added with the new Dex, since the DC is now for free. In the old Dex, you bought your DC for the cost of two Photon Grenades, but you didn`t need to add Drones (IIRC).
But if you REALLY want cheap suits, don`t underestimate Flamers - they can be useful, as well - just not as often as the TA

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 23:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have never used a flamer in my tau army, when would it be a good idea ever? Maybe against GEQ as a last resort or to finish off a squad, but i would rather use firewarriors for this.

Is a 46 point deathrain the cheapest a suit can go, with TL-ed MP's?
Old 27 Oct 2007, 23:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I prefer the flamer. Granted I've yet to really play a game, but they're cheap, they make the model look cooler and it gives you a nice last chance template weapon in case you make a mistake on your moves and get rushed by lightly-armored infantry...

In my opinion the TA, in most cases, doesn't provide enough of a boost to make it worth 10 points. I give it to my shas'el to get BS5, but really...hitting 3/4 of the time isn't good enough? I guess if you're playing in the super-competitive tournament BS it might mean something, but yeah.

Quote:
I have never used a flamer in my tau army, when would it be a good idea ever?
When winning at all costs isn't the only thing that matters. :

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 01:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh
I have never used a flamer in my tau army, when would it be a good idea ever? Maybe against GEQ as a last resort or to finish off a squad, but i would rather use firewarriors for this.

Is a 46 point deathrain the cheapest a suit can go, with TL-ed MP's?
I commonly use a 34 point suit. It has TL Flamers and a BSF. Almost always gets its points back. Only once it deep striked ontop of the target squad. Auto-hit, reroll to wound? Can't get much better than that.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 06:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Flamer on the third hard point FTW against gaunts, drop podding IG, and especially scarabs(and even marines if you can get 5 or so under the template).

Nice to soften an enemy up before a last ditch charge.

Oh yeah and run them in 3 teams of 1 for maximum flexibility as opposed to 1 team of three.