Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vs. Blood Angels
Old 27 Oct 2007, 15:42   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Vs. Blood Angels

As you can guess, this thread is just asking for general tactics against Blood Angels. I haven't had trouble beating them in the past, but I can see how things could go horribly wrong.

He used to field something like 3 Predators and 3 MM Attack Bikes, but I guess he got fed up at the Predators dying every game. :P

Anyway, now his list is typically 2 Rhinos, Death Company, Veteran Assault Squad, and 2 MM Attack Bikes supported by 2 5-Man Devastator Squads with 2 Missile Launchers each.

My Mech List is this:

Quote:
Shas'el - 100
Plasma Rifle, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Targeting Array, HWMT

Shas'el - 97
Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HWMT

2 Crisis Suits - 130
TL Plasma Rifles, TAs

Crisis Suits - 53
TL Missile Pod, TA

Crisis Suits - 53
TL Missile Pod, TA

10 Fire Warriors - 220
Devilfish
Burst Cannon, SMS, TA, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers

10 Fire Warriors - 220
Devilfish
Burst Cannon, SMS, TA, Multi-Tracker, Decoy Launchers

Pirahnas - 70
Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array

Pirahnas - 70
Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array

Hammerhead - 165
Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers

Hammerhead - 165
Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers

Sky Ray - 155
Burst Cannons, Targeting Array, Multi-tracker, Decoy Launchers

Total: 1498
His tactic is really the same every game. He drives the Rhinos forward at full speed, jumps behind it, and pops smoke. I essentially get one round of shooting at the Rhinos. If I take them down, I've won the game. If not, they'll continue to roll forward while protecting the Jump Troopers.

Getting charged on second turn isn't an issue because I always back up to be sure I'm out of his 18" charge range. I don't see how I could avoid him that third turn though. If I realize he's going to charge me, I tend to hop some suits forward, fire everything, then charge whatever is left. This buys time for the rest of the army to back up.

The only squad I really fear are the Death Company as they simply slaughter everything in their path, given that they get the charge.

What kind of tactics do you all employ against this sort of list? Should I just keep doing what I am? It seems to be working every time thus far. The only real problem I could see would be that I simply don't stun / immobilize / destroy the Rhinos.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 17:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Vs. Blood Angels

Hmm... Attack bikes can be annoying, especially with their toughness 5 and two wounds. Assuming they haven't used turbo-boosters, I actually find it worth it to blow a few railgun shots at them, for the overkill. Those bikes will devastate you if you underestimate them! The Rhinos shouldn't be a problem if you can bring a couple deathrains and Railgun to bear on them. Even with smoke launchers, glancing hits should be enough to stun 'em.

Against an assaulty SM army (or any assaulty army), keeping your Fire Warriors in Devilfish is a very good idea. Those Missile Launchers could be a problem, so try to keep out of line of sight. Giving your Plasma-rifle Crisis suits a shield drone or gun drone each might be something to consider, if you won't want to risk having them killed by missile launchers.

First turn, stun/immobilize/kill the rhinos. Second turn, the bikes should be approaching you. Use your railguns and plasma rifles to take them out. Don't waste any seekers on them, as they'll likely have an invulnerable save... Hmm... Or you could take them out with massed rapid-fire from the Fire Warriors. But just remember, you're DOOMED if they get into close combat. After this, all he has left is foot-sloggers and the assault squad. Wait for the Assault squad to quit hiding behind the Rhinos, then kill it with plasma rifles. JSJ the leftovers into submission.

Oh, and, if I were you, i'd replace one of the Railheads with an Ionhead, especially against Marines. But that's just me. ^^;;
Old 27 Oct 2007, 17:41   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well, I actually was debating swapping them both for Ionheads against him... he's really bad about tailoring and I suppose it would be kind of like fighting fire with fire. However, that just seems wrong to me and it's something I'm an advocate against.

I am glad to hear that I'm doing things right so far. :P

Also, our next game will be a team game. We had a 2v2 scheduled that got botched because one player had an emergency come up. It will be Blood Angels & Dark Angels (Deathwing) vs. Mech Tau & Eldar. The Eldar has plenty of Scatter Lasers for taking out the rhinos, and a couple ML / BL Wraithlords. I'm excited; I think the Xenos will own.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 18:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

That will be an awesome match. ^.^

Hopefully the Eldar player has Howling Banshees in his/her list. They're rather effective against Marines, with their Power Weapons of Doom, assuming they can get into close combat.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 18:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I happen to run a Blood Angels list very similar to your friend's, and it doesn't do that well against Tau!

Basically if you can keep the skimmers out of range, and keep taking shots with the rails and devilfish, he shouldn't be able to hurt you much.

Just prioritize his attack bikes, then his devastators, then play keep-away while taking targets of opportunity. His jump troops shouldn't be able to do much against your skimmers, so you don't really need to worry about them until the end.

Good luck!
Angelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 23:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Swap one railhead with an ionhead. Now, can both take out tanks and have anti-MEQ firepower.

Also, this would be the first time I would recommend Fireknife suits. Because of pesky rhinos, plasma rifles would not cut it (Not enough range to be really effective). However, it will be expensive so I suggest you only fireknive your squadleaders 9because they can access the armoury and get a mutitracker so you can still have TA).
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote