Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ok what the heck?
Old 27 Oct 2007, 04:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Ok what the heck?

So my friend plays tau and I play guard. He's pretty much a noob and I made his list so I know a fair amount of tau cheese.

But what I don't get are the rules for the sensor spines. Can I not fire at it, can it fire at me, how does it work?

dyk.themuffinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 04:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti
Default Re: Ok what the heck?

Sensor spines allow a Tau vehicle to move through terrain and ignore dangerous terrain tests. It also makes the vehicle count as obscured (but only while it's in terrain). Look up the obscured targets rule- it's on pg. 69 of the BGB, and should clear up any confusion.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 06:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Also, if it is through more than 6 inches of forest, you can't shoot at it, just like any other thing in a forest. Also, it can't shoot at you, except with Smart Missiles. I should actually try that combo!

...Wait, tanks are included in that 6 inches rule, right? So are monstrous creatures? Because forest is "size 3?" Anyway, I think that's right. ^^;;
Old 27 Oct 2007, 06:59   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

As was said, Sensor Spines allow an equipped vehicle to move through terrain at their option without taking any Dangerous Terrain tests.

If they end their move in any terrain, they will of course get "hull down" on a 4+, just like any other vehicle.

Also, 6"+ of any area terrain between one unit in it and the other unit will always block LoS between both units, regardless of the terrain type (ruins, rubble, forest, jungle, fields, etc.)
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 07:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Actually, fields don't. Tanks are too big to hide in them. Actually, only things like grots and scarabs can hide in fields.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 07:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

No, tanks cannot hide in fields, thanks for clarifying, as their max height is 2. Ultimately, for normal units to hide in them, it would be up to the players to decide what the height of the fields would be. Corn fields could easily hide even Space Marines if the corn is fully grown.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 16:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Related question:

As skimmer, can Tau vehicles move/fly/hover above terrain? My friends and I have been playing that way all along; while above the terrain, the skimmer can ignore it, but everybody gets LOS on it and it does not count as obscured.

Just want to make sure I've been playing properly, since we're on the topic.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 17:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yep, Skimmers can hover above terrain or they can choose to travel through it. The same rules that apply to other tanks traveling through terrain also apply to Tau skimmers (meaning the dangerous terrain test). With the sensor spines, you don't have to take a dangerous terrain test. Actually, if you have the spare points, it's a pretty useful upgrade. If you're shaken you can go hide six inches through a forest, and, if you hang out in forests and other area terrain, if you're stunned and can't move (and therefore get the skimmer 'glancing' rule), at least if you're in a forest with sensor spines you can get an obscured target roll. Not quite as good, but it could save your tank's life.

Personally, I don't use them that often. My hammerhead usually gets a multitracker, target lock, and decoy launchers instead. And sometimes the disruption pod, if I'm not keeping it in reserve, because there's nothing more annoying than having your tank killed on the first turn.
Old 27 Oct 2007, 22:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Are sensor spines worth it? I mean, I can put them on my model, but I still pay for the points, even if I don't use it...
*Doh!-Nuts DarkWand3r3r Msg Player 04-08-2009 17:51:32
Moral of this story... in real life or in a pen and paper game... do not piss off Delpheus or he will OMGWTFBBQPWN your face with a uber hit.
DELPHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Oct 2007, 03:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've never used them, but then I usually go for the cheapest load out, I like to keep my tanks cheap ;D. I guess you could just glue on the bits, and just tell your opponent that their there for decoration only, so you don't have to pay the points, since you never use it (it's what I'd do, but I'm saving those bits for other projects atm).