Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

WYSIWYG for GW
Old 27 Oct 2007, 01:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default WYSIWYG for GW

For the first time ever, this Sunday, I'll be taking part in an Apocolypse battle at a games workshop (I'm to bring 1000 points). My army's co-commander and I just spent four hours yesterday doing conversions, ripping off weapons from Crisis suits, re-painting a couple fire warriors (some of 'em still suck...), and magnetizing everything in sight with tiny earth magnets and a drill press to make the army as modular as possible. We marked squad commanders, we made all the weapons we'll need, and we finally finished, painted, and magnetized our Ion cannon for our tank. Then, today, I remembered something. Targeting arrays. Both our Deathrains and our Helios commander have them. But there's no model for them. Will anyone object, do you think, to not having them represented?
Old 27 Oct 2007, 01:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: WYSIWYG for GW

The antenna-y or scope-y looking Crisis suit part, or either of the antennae from a Devilfish/Hammerhead/Skyray sprue all make good stand-ins for targetting arrays - if you have any of the above spare they shouldn't be hard to give a simple paintjob on and glue or magnetize into position.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 01:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

As Dra'Tuisich-Novae said any of the support systems available will work. There aren't models for all of the support systems, you just have to make due with what's available. Personally the series of lenses called a "Target Lock" on page 53 is what I use. But as a support system it deffinitely should be represented by something.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 02:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thanks!

I will hopefully be able to get some of these done by Sunday. I don't want to use the target lock model, because I've always considered using a 'burning eye' configuration, which requires target locks. I guess I'll just use an antenna or something, and come up with a more imaginative way to do it at a later date.

Gah, I'm gonna have to order more magnets soon... Deathrains all need one of these!
Old 31 Oct 2007, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If there isn't a plastic for it from GW, then it doesn't have to be on the model. Thats my opinion anyway.
Rivenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 19:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
But as a support system it deffinitely should be represented by something.
Why?

Quote:
If there isn't a plastic for it from GW, then it doesn't have to be on the model. Thats my opinion anyway.
That's my opinion, too. They don't give you a part to use, so I can use any damn thing I want, or nothing at all. A targeting array really sounds like an internal support system anyway, which could be the reason why they didn't make an "official" bit for it...also notice the lack of a drone controller bit (well, for XV8 crisis suits anyway).

On my TL-FB suit I put two target locks on his jetpack hardpoints to represent one, but really, who's going to be that petty and insist you HAVE to represent a system that doesn't have anything to represent it?

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 19:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

well for targeting arrays, I just cheat and flip the target locks. It's different, so hey

As for drone controllers, those are the multi-trackers. That bit is interchangeable. This was established in the first codex, so you may or may not have got that memo

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 23:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well, it turned out that GW didn't care at all. Since there's no plastic for it, they said it didn't matter. Drone controllers are a moot point, as I never take them on anything that can't take HW systems. However, I'm still gonna come up with something, I think, since, although I know all my DRs have 'em, my other units aren't so obvious.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 23:46   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Tommyboy

What I have done is to glue a drone aerial on to the back of a target lock, with the "bottom" of the aerial to the back of the target lock it should be at an angle close to that of the aerials on crisis heads.
Old 01 Nov 2007, 00:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I take the barrel of the pulse carbine and cut it at the "hand grip", cutting off the bottom circular bit. Then flip it upside down and glue it to the side of the head. That's what I use for the Targeting Array.

I attached a picture of what it would look like. I'm not sure if it'll load or not... :P (Note: not my picture, though I can't remember where I found it...)

As for WYSIWYG, it's mandatory for tournaments, but can be looked over in friendly games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote