Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

[BatRep] Tau vs. Chaos, 400 Point Combat Patrol
Old 26 Oct 2007, 18:32   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak
Default [BatRep] Tau vs. Chaos, 400 Point Combat Patrol

At lunch time today, me and my friend - known on TO as brassdeamon14 - faced off over two school tables pushed together. We had little terrain, just two barricades, some forest and a box. My army wasn't fully painted, so the battle could not exactly be described as glamorous, but that is besides the point.
[hr]
I played Tau:

HQ
-Ethereal

Elites
- XV8 Helios Monat Shas'ui
- XV8 Helios Monat Shas'ui
- Two XV8 Deathrain Shas'ui'

Troops
- Six Pulse Carbine Armed Shas'la
- Twelve Kroot Carnivores
[hr]
He played Chaos:

Troops
- Ten Chaos Space Marines in Rhino

Fast Attack
- Five Chaos Space Marine Bikers
[hr]

As we did know each others lists before the game, I hoped to surprise him with my odd army compilation. I figured that he would not have many heavy weapons, so took four Crisis Suits - two for killing his Marines, and two for killing his light vehicles. My plan was to try and take out any heavy weapons he might have with my Suits, and then dominate the battle with them. I took the minimum amount of Fire Warriors, as his army would probably be mainly comprised of anti-infantry fire. I also took the Kroot as he would not be able to shoot them if they were far enough into the wood, so his weapons would be useless, and I would have more dakka. The Ethereal was a random choice, something unexpected, that would not have much impact on the game, but may have a psychological effect.
As it turned out, he didn't have a single heavy weapon! As there was not enough terrain for all my suits to JSJ, this was very good for me - my XV8s would be a real pain to take down.
[hr]
The wood was set up in the middle of the board, one barricade in the North-East, one in the South-West, and the box in the South. I got the Southern board-edge, but had to deploy first. I placed my unit of Fire Warriors behind the barricade, and the Chaos general placed his Rhino behind the woods. I positioned my Deathrains behind the box so they could JSJ, and he put his bikers in the North-West. I deployed my other to suits in the open, and my Ethereal with the Fire Warriors. The Carnivores then infiltrated into the forest and prepared to rapid fire at the bikers...

The attack occurred in one of the scare areas of open space on Ko'yaan - a Fio testing ground. Some of the dense jungle had been left behind in the centre of the clearing, for jungle based technology to be experimented with. On that day, the Earth Caste engineers were testing a new invention - physical holograms. They had requested warriors from the Shas to test their creation, and of course the Fire Caste sent some, in the form of six Fire Warriors, and four Crisis Suits.

Fio'vre B'Elsy watched the live feed coming being transmitted from a surveillance drone. He was in the comparative safety of a Fio bunker, in close proximity to the edge of the testing ground. This was the moment he had been waiting for, that he had worked so hard to reach. His innovation was about to be tested for the first time. He leaned forwards, and pressed the button. After a low humming noise, and a brief flash of blue light, a seemingly life-like Ethereal appeared on the screen. The first stage had worked! However, this was nothing new, the Tau had made holograms before... It was what should happen next that would determine how successful B'Elsy had been. That was when he noticed anomalies on the scanner read outs. It appeared that a herd of large animals was approaching.
"Pause the testing! Small group of unidentified creatures approaching!". He relayed the information to the Shas. One of the blips appeared larger than the others, and they were all moving fast. Soon they came into visual contact, one of the surveillance drones was in range of them. "Chaos Marines incoming!", the Shas'vre hastily spoke into his transmitter. The feed from the surveillance drone crackled, and died. The first shot had been fired.

[hr]

Shas'ui M'Lynu spotted movement. It was a transport vehicle, speeding along the dusty clearing towards the Fire Warriors position He transmitted this information to his brother, along with the suggestion that they target this Chaos Rhino. A light winked green - an acknowledgement from the other Shas. They had practiced the maneuver many times in the Fire Caste training arenas, and in battle itself. M'Lynu activated his thrusters, and jumped out from behind the outbuilding, locked on to his target, and fired. He briefly saw six missiles stream towards the target, before he utilised his thrusters to get back behind the building. As soon as he touch down on ground, his fellow XV8 leapt out and repeated the process.

My opponent one the roll-off for first turn, and started by moving his bikers into assault range of my Kroot. I had been hoping to get the first turn and annihilate his bikers, but no such luck. The Rhino moved down the Eastern edge of the board towards my Ethereal and the Fire Warriors. His bikers then opened fire on my Kroot killing three of them, and the Rhino on my Fire Warriors, killing two. His bikers proceeded to assault my Carnivores, and three Kroot were killed in exchange for one bike. The Morale test was passed, and so the Kroot stayed in combat. Then, it was my first turn.

I moved my Suits out of cover and towards the enemy. The Deathrains opened fire on the Rhino, three missiles hitting, and the first one destroying it. My other two suits and my Fire Warriors opened fire on the Marines from the Rhino, missing a lot, but still causing a few wounds. The Marines saved most of them and only one or two died. My suits moved back into cover with their jet packs In the combat, the bikers killed another three Kroot and the Carnivores killed none in return. They fled and were run down, despite the re-roll from the Ethereal.

The Shas'ui saw it happen, as if in slow motion. The foul bikes of Chaos charged towards the Fire Warriors and the hologram at a terrifying speed. The Warriors were run into the ground by a pair of bikers, their bodies crushed. A third biker was headed straight for the Ethereal. Twirling his blades, the hologram expertly swiped the Chaos warrior clean out of his seat, and impaled him as he hit the floor. Alas, the final bike took advantage of this, and fired his bolt pistol straight at the Ethereal head. The hologram exploded with strobes of blue light. Though it was only a hologram, the evil forces had killed an Ethereal. M'Lynu felt anger towards this creatures well up inside him, he was determined to avenge the Aun's death! All four of the remaining Tau felt this way, and following some hasty discussion, converged menacingly on the dread bikes. Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters opened fire, and in a storm of energy, the Chaos Marines were evaporated. Peace flowed to M'Lynu's heart, the Ethereal had been avenged! But there was still more of the warriors taking cover in the forest, whom he rained missiles upon. One Marine was utterly mangled, parts of his body flying into the trees. Seeing this, and the assembled Crisis Suits, the remnants of the Chaos Warband retreated, leaving the Tau in peace... for now.

In my opponents second turn, he moved his Marines into the forest, and the bikers towards the Fire Warriors. The bikers killed two more Shas, but the Marines failed to wound the Helios they had targeted. The bikes charged into the Fire Warrior squad and Ethereal, and killed them all, however, the Ethereal managed to kill one bike before dieing.
Luckily, all my XV8s passed their tests to stay on the table - they now had the Preferred Enemy special rule.

In my turn, my suits moved towards the bikes, hoping to destroy them before they could charge me. The two Helios' together took them down easily, which meant my Deathrains were free to shoot at the Marines in the wood. Two of the missiles missed, and one failed to penetrate the Chaos armour, so only one Marine died. All my suits then jumped behind cover or out of assault range.
[hr]
Unfortunately, this was all we had time for. I had more Victory Points, but only just, so the match was a draw.

Conclusions
I took a gamble in the positioning of the Kroot, if I had got the first turn they would have been a lot more effective, as they could have taken down the biker squad, instead of getting ripped apart by it.
Overall I was pleased by the performance of my army, and I can safely say that my XV8s could have easily killed his remaining Chaos Space Marines. In fact, my suits were the only guys who really did anything, but they did a good job, so I can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1shot1kill
:sadnshocked:
Pedophile, bisexual, weirdo banana!
ShasVre_Koyaan_KiVak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 22:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: [BatRep] Tau vs. Chaos, 400 Point Combat Patrol

One thing I should note is that Kroot do not get the benefit of the Etherial's inspiring presence. Also for combat patrol you don't need an HQ but in anything larger your first HQ must be a Tau Commander, the Etherial can only be a secondary HQ.

Other than that at least you learned some things from the battle to bring to your next. Your opponents choice of bikes was curious and a good idea, their speed allowing them to quickly engage and destroy targets that were unlikely to have the firepower to deal with them, luckily you had the Helios suits to mop them up. Good luck on your next match and have a cookie +1!

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Oct 2007, 08:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Ah yes, I forgot that the Kroot weren't Tau... I know about the 1+ Commander, but am I still allowed to use just an Ethereal in Combat Patrol?
Thankee for the cookie ;D

Quote:
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:00   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Very nice job angus and well done on +1 karma dude you deserve because of my laziness! Anyways some edits i'd like to point out : 1: two bikers died from the carnivores not one (one in first combat, one in second) 2:three bikers charged the ethereal and ( you won't believe this but it did happen me and him can tell you) all hit, all wound and tau failed all saves! The ethereal died before it struck. 3: None died while in rhino cover, we all lived!

Brassdeamon14

Quote from Bubgum: ... BrassDaemon isn't that stupid
Oh I assure you Bubgum I am

My instinct of selr-preservastion say: RUN! RUN AWAY!.... But I think my curiosity will win... AGAIn- quote Cmdrbonesaw
Brassdeamon14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Oct 2007, 09:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassdeamon14
Very nice job angus and well done on +1 karma dude you deserve because of my laziness! Anyways some edits i'd like to point out : 1: two bikers died from the carnivores not one (one in first combat, one in second) 2:three bikers charged the ethereal and ( you won't believe this but it did happen me and him can tell you) all hit, all wound and tau failed all saves! The ethereal died before it struck. 3: None died while in rhino cover, we all lived!

Brassdeamon14
My memory isn't the best... But the Ethereal did hit one because he was in cover so they struck simultaneously.

Quote: