Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

gue'vesa questions
Old 25 Oct 2007, 22:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default gue'vesa questions

I am just now finding out about gue'vesa and I LOVE them! ;D I think....
I am already bargaining with an IG friend for bits!

However, before I get too invoved i need some clarification...
1) What roles can gue'vesa play?
2) Why would i want lasguns over pusle rifles??!?!?
3) Considering i only have a 1000 point army (only 240 points of firewarriors and around 200 of kroot) how many should i field?
4) Are there many (or any) times when gue'vesa are almost necessary or at least shine with their performance?
5) Can they benefit from markerlights?
6) Can they use a devilfish?

Most importantly though, how should i make them? Do you guys you cadians or catachans? Do they require many bits? Are they hard to convert to tau?

Thanks in advance!
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 22:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: gue'vesa questions

1) Some people like to give them EMP grenades, and use them as a kind of task force to kill enemy tanks - no one expects Gue`vesa to pack such a punch. Others just give the Team leader a markerlight, to have a cheap source of MLs.

2) Because humans are cheaper.

3) Depends. How many do you like?

4) No. But the EMP-trick can be useful, though, most certainly, is only good once.

5) Tough question. I`d say no (why would you want them to, anyways? Make them hit better with their flashlights?).

6) No, since it isn`t in their army list entry.

Note that they are not entirely legal - they are on the archive-page, and were designed for the old Tau Codex, so I wouldn`t use them in tournaments, and get permission from your friends before you use them.

As for conversion: I´ve just used Catachans for mine, and painted them in the colours of my army - problem solved. Just file off the Imperial symbols, but, honestly, you can convert them as much as you want.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 23:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh
I am just now finding out about gue'vesa and I LOVE them! ;D I think....
I am already bargaining with an IG friend for bits!
Like already mentioned, they aren't exactly legal so make sure to get permissiion before.

Quote:
However, before I get too invoved i need some clarification...
Tank killer or cheap shooting squad.

Quote:
And excellent question, but being cheaper then the basic tau and nearly as expensive as the kroot, they are a nice way to have more man on the field...despite the weaker gun.

Quote:
3) Considering i only have a 1000 point army (only 240 points of firewarriors and around 200 of kroot) how many should i field?
so roughly 4 of your Troop slot are taken. Personally I would say start with 1 and see from there. I would not recommand more then 2 though.

Quote:
4) Are there many (or any) times when gue'vesa are almost necessary or at least shine with their performance?
Doubtful, but in a bunker with 2 pulse rifle they could help pick out and slow down GEQ troops.

Quote:
5) Can they befit from markerlights?
The leader(Gue'vesa'ui) can buy one and I guess they could use the marker on the table ot improuve thier odds of hitting.

Quote:
Nope, no transport for them I'm afraid.

Quote:
Most importantly though, how should i make them? Do you guys you cadians or catachans? Do they require many bits? Are they hard to convert to tau?

Thanks in advance!
Personally, I used Cadian to which I added the tau backpack and shoulder pad. 2 have been converted with pulse rifle and 2 with pulse carbine. I will later on give them the same Sept marking as the rest of my troops.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

None other tau units could not do much better

You do not

I already think you have far too many infantry models, certainly more than I´d ever use in up to 1750 pts.

Nope

Nope

Nope

You see, those soldiers are relatively useless. IF you really want some just for the heck of it, use the EMP-version or small units with markerlight.

Both are not exactly viable, but the best you can get out of those guys.

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 01:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well you've got the answers for the questions as for models I like to use the Necromunda line . I used the old sculpt Orlocks for a mercenary feel and want to use Van Saars for a high tech Gue'vesa look.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

I should note here that it easy enough to integrate Gue'vesa into your regular squads, using them as "Counts-as" Fire Warriors. That is what I do. You don't need to worry that you are wasting time on converting them.

In practice, the only things they are useful for is being a scoring unit and keeping enemy tanks away from them. The EMP trick should be well-known by now, so you should expect your opponent to be wary of where your Gue'vesa are moving.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 01:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would like to try implementing them against an armored company friend of mine, but the two armies i play most are my brothers space marines (a hybrid, take all comer list usually) and my best friends gaunt army.

Would the gue'vesa be useful against these opponents? Even if they are not, I am going to try them against armored company no matter what!>
Old 26 Oct 2007, 01:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosh
They are good tank hunters and pinning units, as well as cheap markerlights and meat shields. Good for holding down objectives while the rest of the army rushes around.

Quote:
Cheap EMP carriers, cheap markerlights and a few cheap carbines to harass enemy units, lasguns aren't really the point.

Quote:
Just buy a box of Cadians, that gives you 20 Guardsmen that you can put into two squads of 10, a couple cheap markerlights, maybe a carbine or two for pinning... etc.

Quote:
Few units are ever truly necessary really, but Gue'vesa are great for destroying those Land Raider Crusaders full of Terminators and killing everything inside by covering all the doors, man I love EMP's.

Quote:
5) Can they benefit from markerlights?
They are a Tau unit, so yes they can.

Quote:
No they have no transport options.

Quote:
Personally I like Cadians, and really they require 0, nada, zippo conversions to legally use. Just strap a spare rifle to the back of the guardsmen you upgrade with guns, or spare carbines, whatever from leftover bits from the rest of your Tau, markerlights can be binoculars or what not, the conversions do not have to be spectacular, you can do as much, or as little as you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor
Nope
Actually Trogdor Gue'vesa can benefit from markerlights. They can take markerlights themselves and as a Tau unit they can benefit from the Markerlights, as can Kroot and Vespids. Notice the races aren't a noted difference from the perspective of the rules, every unit available to the Tau Empire forces is a "Tau" unit.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 02:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Really???

All this time i thought only vespid could benefit, and i was told only as long as the strain leader was alive they could! Now i suddenly want to try rapid firing BS5 kroot in forests!>

Anyway, i just remembered a certain tactic http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=55399.0

Has anyone thought of trying this with the cheaper gue'vesa? Reminds me of a gaunt army (and with preferred enemy, ooo, AWESOME)!

Back to the topic, the most common game type i play is combat patrol (just in between lunch and stuff). The rules are a bit fuzzy for combat patrol, so I am not sure of this, but I have brought kroot as my mandatory troop choice. I wonder, could i use gue'vesa as my mandatory troop choice? They would be very cheap and could offer markerlight support.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 02:54   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

That one definitely doesn't work. The rules for Ethereals are specific about who actually has to test. Since Gue'vesa don't, they can't benefit from the positive effects.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote