Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Love for the warfish ( some help )
Old 25 Oct 2007, 16:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby
Default Love for the warfish ( some help )

Hey Tauonline

after coming back from my holiday Ive visited my local club forum. Theres this guy ( good player, won several tourneys and the last major one ) who just started ( again ) with tau. Hes trying out some vehicles. I keep tellin him the warfish is a good bang for youre buck. Hes not liking it!

Hes saying: 4 shots s5 ap5 with 24" on a AV12/11 ( cant remember ) no-claiming isnt worth 120 pts

Now when I start thinking about this I kinda get some doubts about our beloved tank. Why do we spice it up instead of leaving it cheapo with just the normal config. For the points we save we can get a lot of other stuff

so whats up with this?

cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 16:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Love for the warfish ( some help )

It`s not 4 shots.

It`s 7 shots. You KEEP the Burst Cannon. Add a Targetting Array, and you have a very efficient GEQ hunter - and a moderately effective MEQ-killer (about 1 dead Marine per turn of shooting).

Add in the fact that it is non-scoring, does not need LOS with the SMS, has transport capacity (therefore makes a deadly FOF) and quite cheap to top it off, you have a very annoying vehicle, which could drive your opponent nuts if used correctly.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 19:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Add in the fact that it is non-scoring, does not need LOS with the SMS, has transport capacity (therefore makes a deadly FOF) and quite cheap to top it off, you have a very annoying vehicle, which could drive your opponent nuts if used correctly.

Cheers,
-Bone
thats the problem, what if we don't really know how to use them properly, or just don't like them but like path finders? then that is 120pts gone!!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 19:58   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

You just need to learn, then. The fact that the SMS does not need LOS is the primary advantage. It works wonder against close-combat armies like Dark Eldar.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

The SMS, although rather hard to represent on the model due to lack of parts, is incredibly useful. I played a Take and Hold (or whatever the mission where you have to capture a central point is called) 1000 point match the other day against Chaos. The point was on top of a large building, and only models in or on the building counted as scoring at the end of the game. My 'fish, carrying a bunch of fire warriors, sat in front of the building on the 2nd and 3rd turns, pummeling his approaching Raptors and Slanesh troops. It only took out three attacks, but the Devilfish was completely invulnerable during this time (and that's still at least 40 points). Then, when his Daemon Prince popped over the building to attack the static elements in my army (Sniper Team, mostly), the Devilfish was in the perfect location to FoF him!

Yah, Smart Missiles are nice.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 20:15   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

well what happened to you was nice what happened to me wasn't i got destroyed in first turn all my armour gone. damn chaos

For the !Greater Good!
TheEvilOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 22:10   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Yea I love smart missiles. I love devilfishes ( APC's in general, not sure why just kinda like a fetish :P )

But like warriorchris said, how do we use them? Just park them behind terrain and only pop out to use the burst cannon when no one can fire back at you?
cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 23:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Lets see, you have speed (especially if you take the multi-tracker). You have survivability in that it is a skimmer, and that you can buy certain upgrades to protect it. And you don't need line of sight to use all of its weapons...

I find its best to rush them up one side of the field while simultaneously putting so many tempting targets along the other side. The survivability of your devilfish will go up markedly if your opponent has to choose between it and, oh, lets say... a Hammer head or two....
Old 26 Oct 2007, 00:13   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i like to use warfish mostly when i only take 10 FW, 10 warriors is much easier to safely arrange around the vehicle to prevent assaults and with a warfish i get just as many shots except some are bs4.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2007, 02:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Tau are about avoiding LOS and denying VPs. SMS don't use LOS. I think that's just crazy good.

I also think that FoFs are hard to do, and that mounted FWs like to stay mounted. Therefore, making your Devilfishes able to fight is golden, especially in Mech Tau, where firepower is already fairly limited.

- Abdul Alhazred, The Mad Arab of Cthulhu Lore, on the subject of Chaos Tau [link]

"Zomg, teh Tau are teh evil bastardz, they suk at life."
copy and paste this into your sig if you hate Tau.

Proud member of Team CMAP - DON'T HOLD BACK- The time has come to- GALVANIZE!
Floobosaurus is offline   Reply With Quote