Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Alpha Strike Redux
Old 24 Oct 2007, 20:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Alpha Strike Redux

As someone who has played Tau from the beginning, I remember the good old days when 16 seeker missiles could be mounted on 4 vehicles, and 2 pathfinder squads could sit back, relax, and utterly annihilate anything they felt like. Now, while we can only do that for one turn now, with the capacity for seeker devastation gone down, we all tried the skyray. However, as much as the skyray is cool, the hammerhead will always win out, simply because the hammerhead owns so much its not even funny. Plus, a skyray needs squishy pathfinders to be useful. Now on to why the skyray just got good again.

In Apocalypse, all the races get these data sheets. The Armoured Interdiction force is a grouping of hammerheads that gives us, guess what? FREE markerlights. a fair few of them to. Plus, they can be split up if need be. Now, I don't know about anybody else, but to me, this screams alpha strike with a skyray. Then we can use the command tank to mark other stuff.

Thoughts?

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 02:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Alpha Strike Redux

D3 is not a alot. Remember you also get an equal chance of getting only 1 markerlight which is barely useful at best. So I wouldn't bet on something so iffy.
Impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 02:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

But back then, all we could do was launch a seeker OR improve BS. Now we have all these other options for using markerlight tokens. The Armoured Interdiction Force can be self-sustaining I guess, if used with Skyrays, though I'd be using the markerlight hits for other things rather than massed waves of seekers. But I mean it's good for taking out low AV vehicles that are in LOS.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 03:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by .mace
But back then, all we could do was launch a seeker OR improve BS.
Not to mention that BS improvement was for only ONE model... Pathfinders have become more of a "need" for a big game than the SR is. The only thing that makes the SR good is in Apocalypse games that has flyers, being an AA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 09:31   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

skyrays aren't AA anymore. That's the Forgeworld version. I guess you can use those though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impulse
D3 is not a alot. Remember you also get an equal chance of getting only 1 markerlight which is barely useful at best. So I wouldn't bet on something so iffy.
It's actually D3+1 shots, which is three on average.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 12:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

While Alpha Strike seems to be great at first, don`t forget that you can only fire one Seeker per markerlight - sou you´re firing d3+1 Seeker which have to hit and wound/penetrate first.
If you use said lights to boost the BS of your Tanks (Ionheads, for example), or of Fire Warriors, you can get much more out of them, but that`s just me.

I actually think the Skyray was completely nerfed when it was taken from Forgeworld, stripped of its special rules and implemented in the Codex: Tau Empire. I`ve used it once, and I doubt I`ll use it again in normal games (Apocalypse would be another matter, of course).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote