Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Warning Signs
Old 24 Oct 2007, 20:10   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Tau Warning Signs

Lately I've been reading the Tau dictionaries and lexicons of Tau Online because I needed to name some items of my army. However, when painting my minis (specially tanks), I have real problems to choose what decals to use and where to put them. As the GW politics of "do what you want" don't suit me, I've been thinking of what the Tau might use as warning signs (shapes, colors and all stuff). After looking in the codexes artwork and other sources (mostly my imagination) I've come with a basic set of warning signs that, although thought for Tau wargear, could be used in a wide variety of situations (including civil uses). I would like you to discuss them, tell me alternatives and other signs that might be of interest. If this works well, I could make a decal transfer sheet for you to download.
Well, here is my vision of what the tau use to warn themselves:

Warning/Danger signs: Triangular shaped and usually red, this signs are put where there is a heavy risk for life or valuable goods. The bottom of the triangle is pointed in the direction of the danger.

Danger: Air Intake.

Appears often in ventilation shafts and engine intakes, or anyplace where there is a risk of suction of whole or part of the body.

Danger: Weapon Mount.

This sign is pretty straightforward. Will appear anyplace there is a weapon to identify it.

Danger: Explosive.

Used to mark highly volatile or explosive substances. Usually appears in missiles, rockets and bombs.

Danger: Energy source.

This sign appears when there is a power source that might hurt people nearby. Comes in three colors, attending to the type of energy they warn against.
-Yellow (Fire and Heat): Appears on flamethrowers, fusion blasters and engine exhausts, between others.
-Blue (Electricity and Plasma): Appears on CIBs, plasma rifles, ion cannons, etc...
-White (Kinetic and Gravitic): Mostly found at the bottom of grav vehicles or on railguns.

Caution Signs: Round shaped and usually orange, this kind of signs appear where there might be a risk of hurting if not careful.

Caution: Unknown.

This sign appears mostly on alien technology being investigated.

Caution: Hatch/Door.

This sign is always seen where there is a mobile part where people can pass through. Including tank doors, cockpit's canopy, or any type of hatch.

Caution:Fragile.

Anything that might be broken with relative ease will have this sign, including sensors, screens or even valuable art.

Caution: Mobile part.

Similar to the Hatch/Door sign, this one warns about mobile areas that might trap limbs or items, like conveyor belts, rotating scanners or engines and the like.

Well, that's all for now. I have thought about non dangerous/civil markings that would be square shaped, but that's for later. What do you think?
-TYranid "Magma Corer": 0%
Kalten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 20:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Tau Warning Signs

these are actually very cool. GW has some decals for warning signs, but I like these better. If only GW listened to their players on a more regular basis

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 21:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

They look cool, but, well, at least for me, I can`t see a way to actually use them - my hand is not steady enough to paint them, and just pining them doesn`t work...
Sadly...

But great wok, deserves a Karma cookie, imo!

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 21:23   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to shas`o r`myr

they would be cool to use on some terrains.

Thinking of creating some barrels which could be explosive.(hehe)
then I could use them
shas`o r`myr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 21:36   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

Neat ideas, Kalten! +1 You should mention these to Shas'el Tael over at ATT if you haven't already. He actually designs sheets for making your own transfers, and this is definitely something that would useful. And they are very much in character with Tau symbology.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 23:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Excellent!

I would suggest making Cyan versions of the Danger ones, too. With the conflicting possibility of Tau having cyan blood, Tau in that parallel universe would likely have cyan warnings instead of red ones (like in Fire Warrior). ;D

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 00:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Excellent!

I would suggest making Cyan versions of the Danger ones, too. With the conflicting possibility of Tau having cyan blood, Tau in that parallel universe would likely have cyan warnings instead of red ones (like in Fire Warrior). ;D
Maybe, but have a think on our danger signs.
Most are actually orange, for very high visibility, and orange is also commonly associated with danger, especially in the wild.
The Tau would likely use a similar high-visibility colour (to them) that denotes a dangerous animal or similar on T'au. The likely colours for this are: Bright Green, Light Cyan, Orange, Yellow, Red, Neon Blue. (this, of course, assumes that T'au's fauna is at least roughly analogous to Terra's.)

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 01:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wow for some reason I absolutely love them... I'm not really sure why but i like the idea of cyan one not because of the blood but i have a ice color scheme for my tau.
"Sir, we already burned everything in there...."
"I dont care, SHOOT IT AGAIN! Its the only way to be sure!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddyxg
Is it true I can equip a space marine captain with two thunder hammers and terminator armor and on top of that name him MC hammer?
artivis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2007, 01:30   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Shas fro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
well, at least for me, I can`t see a way to actually use them - my hand is not steady enough to paint the

Cheers,
-Bone
There is a program Ive herd about that can print decals... all you need is the special paper, the program and a printer that was produced after 2005
Old 25 Oct 2007, 01:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to korik1

My onky complaint with them is that since they'd be made by the Fio, might they be all squares?

Everyone is normal until you get to know them!

korik1 is offline   Reply With Quote