Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What is good to start with Tau now-a-days?
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default What is good to start with Tau now-a-days?

Well my wife is getting me Tau and I want a good start and since she reads this forum I ask you what should she get me to start my tau? The cadre deal, devil fish fire warrior boxes or army/battle force boxes?
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: What is good to start with Tau now-a-days?

Woohoo Tau!

Yea, the battleforce is a nice start. Only $90 and you can get a decent amount of units. Plus a devilfish. Its a nice start.

What kind of tau are you planning on playing? Usually they are broken up into mech, static, and hybrid. I guess mobile infantry(Props to Tonka) is a popular list now.

Until you know what kind of army you want to play, I would suggest the battlebox.

BE
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
Woohoo Tau!

Yea, the battleforce is a nice start. Only $90 and you can get a decent amount of units. Plus a devilfish. Its a nice start.

What kind of tau are you planning on playing? Usually they are broken up into mech, static, and hybrid. I guess mobile infantry(Props to Tonka) is a popular list now.

Until you know what kind of army you want to play, I would suggest the battlebox.

BE
All I know is I want 72 FW and tons of battle suits and latter on make it mech.
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to RaShan

The Battle Force and about 2-3 crisis?..
I bet trying to be all ninja,your just hopping she see's this huh? :P

Tau {to be named} Victories
Win:5 Lose:4 Tie:2

Consider it a success if you can talk a Khorne Berserker out of taking your skull at the first instant he meets you

(loads plasma rifle) BANG!

Oh look, he understood me. =D -Faolin

I could almost see that.
Like if a few Tau went off and they were found and brainwashed and what not. Then, they are made into Tau Marine things. That would be crazy. "And they shall know no close combat skills"~ Xv15 Stealth
RaShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 02:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You could go even more crazy and take 84 Firewarriors via Ethereal Honour guard.

That would be a site to see. Especially if you took a Fish for every squad. Ultimate FoF!
BurntEskimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 03:11   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I would generally recommend Ebay deals if you're comfortable with that kind of thing.

If not, you could always buy

Rapid Insertion force $125($100 if you get a discount at a good store)
2-6 boxes of fire warriors $70-$210($56-168)

Lotsa suits, lotsa FWs...

But again, Ebay could save you a bundle and get you a lot more stuff.

Good luck!
Angelust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 03:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntEskimo
I guess mobile infantry(Props to Tonka) is a popular list now.
What???? Link please
Also I was thinking the Mega Force and the rapid insertion force, or just 2 mega forces. Save the most with that 2 mega forces of them cost $360 while it would cost $532 by them self. but all those xv8s from the rapid insertion force
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:01   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The mega force is a great way to start, you save money and get units that make appearances in almost every list. Start with that and then customize into either mech, static, or hybrid as you see fit. It comes with 3 piranhas, which are less common, just a heads up. I love them, but you may not. A piece of advice, don't drop the $180 or whatever on all those fire warriors until you are sure. I would try a more vanilla list, play some games, and let experience dictate your next move, another reason I recommend the megaforce. Best of luck, hope this helps. ;D
Old 24 Oct 2007, 04:51   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to MechTau

The Tau army list has incredible potential for synergy and might that leaves other army lists feeling hollow. Putting together an SM list is, for the most part, putting enough self-sufficient units with enough diversity in damage output to have a well-balanced list.

A Tau army list CAN be built this way. Each unit another self-contained part... this is where people make lists with plenty of Firewarriors "hooveing" it... and Broadsides.

That just isn't what I'd go for. A mobile army list can apply more firepower in more adverse environments than a static list - and some people play on pool tables. For a strike force that moves to the enemy, whittling them down while avoiding CC, and then wiping out isolated elements by hitting them with half of your army while the other half does the same...

It feels like using a scapel to excise the enemy. I really love this "feel". To make a list like this, you basically need to put your Firewarriors in Devilfishes. You then need to spend some money on the 'Fishes... and it totally changes the feel of your army. 400 points "tied up" as nothing less than the cheapest, most accurate, fastest, and most survivable Str 5 Ap 5 weapon fire is PRICELESS. You have total freedom with the rest of your list from there: Broadsides and Snipers if you feel like bringing some static firepower and holding down open firelanes, or Suits and Hammerheads if you want a more mobile strike force. By no means is this definitive! Mix and match, play proxy games, and you'll find combinations you love.

Common points of contention when making this type of list

- # of FWs per 'Fish - Some say 12, others 10, and even some 6. I favor 10 for a number that brings heavy firepower but is easily embarked and disembarked.

- Pathfinders - Static, expensive... but they bring their own 'Fish to the party, and boost the army's ability to kill things immeasurably! I like them above 1500 points.

- Broadsides VS Hammerheads - There is no end to this. My opinion is that 3 Railheads are great, but if you want Snipers, then you may aswell have a Broadside team to flesh out your AT, which is complemented by a lone Railhead.

- Railhead VS Ionhead - Which turret is better? Answer: Depends on what kind of Crisis suits you use!

- SMS vs Burst Cannon/Drones - Cheap shots or more range and through cover? Really, this is all dependent on how you use your tanks. Don't glue these options in whatever you choose!

And, finally....

Fireknife Vs Helios and Deathrain

The question: Should you take Crisis suits with plasma rifles and missile pods (+ a multitracker) OR specialized suits like the Helios (plasma rilfe and Fusion blaster) and the Deathrain (Twin-linked Missile pods).

Helios suits work really well for me. The choice is ultimately yours.

Good luck.

Open invitation to all: Send me a pm, and I'll be have a look at your army list.
[url=http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=11198.0]Crisis Suit Theory, Army Composition, and why Fireknives suck - You've got to read this classic by T0nka
MechTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 07:02   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Whoa, whoa!

Slow it down a bit! Starting with 40K and fielding "84 Firewarriors! All in Devilfish!" should NEVER be said in the same sentence.

Start small. Try to find out if you like the system, the Tau, and your chosen playstyle. Start with maybe Combat Patrol games, before moving on to bigger stuff.

THere`s no reason to spend astronomic amounts of money right now. Try to get comfortable with the hobby first.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote