Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Farsight-to-static army: What to get?
Old 23 Oct 2007, 00:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Farsight-to-static army: What to get?

I'm building a Farsight force with plenty of battlesuits and anything else Faright is allowed to have, but I'll also like to sometimes switch my Enclave army to an Empire army for when I don't want to be tied-up with Farsight's drawbacks. My Empire army will mostly be static, but sometimes making use of Kroot units.

What I have at the moment: 1 Commander Farsight, 10 Crisis suits, 6 Stealth suits, 1 Forgeworld Broadside, 2 hammerheads, 1 Devilfish, 28 Fire Warriors, 30 Gun Drones, 12 Kroot Carnivores and 1 Krootox.

Keeping with my Empire's static style, I was thinking of getting some more broadsides (as just one isn't really enough) and one or two Sniper Drone teams. Though the Skyray is static and it opens up enough heavy support spot for Farsight. I've heard that Parana teams can be good, but are they worth un-static-ing my army?

Cadre fluff and painting: To make sense of the Farsight-Empire switch, I'm making my Empire army look quite Enclave-ish so they look the part in both scenarios. My Empire cadre is eccentric and malicious but still fighting for the Greater Good. Their main colour is Mechrite Red with highlights of Blood Red and purple (can't remember the GW name); the cloth non-armour areas on the Fire Warriors are shades of gray. The Shas'ui and other higher ranks have areas of white and gold on their armour, increasing with their rank. To show their embracing of individuality, the units have un-uniform colour patterns (but still the same basic colours) and each Fire Warrior has an individual colour of shin armour (but not literally unique, as it'll just get tedious to make/buy new colours for 30+ FWs); though this might bring out calls of "here come the coloured sock army!". ;D

One other'lil point: With a couple of my Fire Warriors I've used Space Marine pauldrons (the shoulder plates) on their shoulder/arm instead of their normal Tau plate, as a kind of slavage from battle. I think it looks great on the table, but I'm not sure how it'll work out in the fluff. Would a Space Marine pauldron be too heavy for a FW to wear with efficiency?
Old 23 Oct 2007, 00:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987
Default Re: Farsight-to-static army: What to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFarsight
I've heard that Parana teams can be good, but are they worth un-static-ing my army?
Piranha's are wonderful tank hunters (Taking them with Fusion blasters and defensive war gear). And the word you're looking for is dynamic. And although I'm not too sure about what people are referring to when they say a "Static" Tau army, I know that an army that can adopt, adapt and improve will win more often than not.

Quote:
One other'lil point: With a couple of my Fire Warriors I've used Space Marine pauldrons (the shoulder plates) on their shoulder/arm instead of their normal Tau plate, as a kind of salvage from battle. I think it looks great on the table, but I'm not sure how it'll work out in the fluff. Would a Space Marine pauldron be too heavy for a FW to wear with efficiency?
If you're going for an Enclave army, then this works wonderfully (I think). They don't have much access to resources, so they have to make with what they can put together themselves. And even switching to an Empire army, this works as "Badges of Kills", if you will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 10:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipTop1987
Quote:
I've heard that Parana teams can be good, but are they worth un-static-ing my army?
Piranha's are wonderful tank hunters (Taking them with Fusion blasters and defensive war gear). And the word you're looking for is dynamic. And although I'm not too sure about what people are referring to when they say a "Static" Tau army, I know that an army that can adopt, adapt and improve will win more often than not.
I mean that it sits back and shoots, only moving when some troops are getting too close for confort or to take advantage of an exposed unit, suddenly assaulting it with Kroot or deepstiking drones.

Quote:
Quote:
One other'lil point: With a couple of my Fire Warriors I've used Space Marine pauldrons (the shoulder plates) on their shoulder/arm instead of their normal Tau plate, as a kind of salvage from battle. I think it looks great on the table, but I'm not sure how it'll work out in the fluff. Would a Space Marine pauldron be too heavy for a FW to wear with efficiency?
If you're going for an Enclave army, then this works wonderfully (I think). They don't have much access to resources, so they have to make with what they can put together themselves. And even switching to an Empire army, this works as "Badges of Kills", if you will.
Aye, as gory things such as heads is more of a Kroot/Ork/Chaos thing to do.
Old 23 Oct 2007, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I think a dynamic army would be better. You can have the most of your army sitting back, but Stealth Suits and Piranhas are more meant for hunting what you can't find behind cover. And they work well. I played a game where on the first turn, my Stealth Suits scored a glance on the side of a Rhino, scored a 6 for the glancing score and wounded his leader and killed a guy before they could disembark. Both of those units are an almost must in my army, depending on the situation. And you can take table objectives quickly with infiltrating and/or a 24" move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Oct 2007, 13:00   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
I think a dynamic army would be better. You can have the most of your army sitting back, but Stealth Suits and Piranhas are more meant for hunting what you can't find behind cover. And they work well. I played a game where on the first turn, my Stealth Suits scored a glance on the side of a Rhino, scored a 6 for the glancing score and wounded his leader and killed a guy before they could disembark. Both of those units are an almost must in my army, depending on the situation. And you can take table objectives quickly with infiltrating and/or a 24" move.
How do you do that? I thought it's 6", then 12 for jet. :-\
Old 24 Oct 2007, 09:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Stealth Infiltrates, Piranha 24" move.

Quote:
I mean that it sits back and shoots, only moving when some troops are getting too close for confort or to take advantage of an exposed unit, suddenly assaulting it with Kroot or deepstiking drones.
so the second option there, the kauyon, using tactics like Tonka's Mobile Infantry?
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Oct 2007, 11:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Quote:
How do you do that? I thought it's 6", then 12 for jet. :-\
the piranha can move 24*but cant shoot* cause its a fast skimmer
but the stealths can jsj so get an extra 6" in the assault phase instead of assaulting