Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Auxiliary units
Old 22 Oct 2007, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Auxiliary units

I know about the Human Auxiliaries and I've heard that you can mod Baneblades into Auxiliary Blaneblades; so I'd like to know how much you can slap 'auxiliary' onto Imperium units and still play within the rules. Would it be perfectly acceptable in any game (not just friendlies) to take a few IG units in with the rest of your conventional Tau force?

I'm not sure how it'll work out in the fluff, but you could take it to the extreme and play as a pure IG force with a Tau paint job.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 16:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: Auxiliary units

SO you want us to list what would be fine under Auxiliaries?

I personally think Guardsmen, and maybe the next level of sergeants. Anything higher than that would probably be better staying with the Imperium(due to age, time spent serving the Imperium, opportunities/benefits...).

So that means no:
Commissars
Space Marines
Ordos
Other Imperium "beaucracy"(catch all term for the more specialized services)
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 17:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, first off all, using Auxilliary units in your Tau army which aren`t in the Codex or officially GW-sanctioned is only allowed in friendly games after agreement of your opponent, and in Apocalypse games.

Having this cleared up, most IG units make valuable auxilliaries, though you might want to go easy on the tank-side (though not necessarily).
There are probably Gue`Vesa`O`s out there, as well; after living generations under Tau rule, why shouldn`t the local planetary firces be under the command of a trusted human?

I`d leave Commissars, Tech Priests, Grey Knights, Space Marines etc. at home, though .

Cheers,-
Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 18:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

In my opinion, techpriests are ok - someone has to fix all that inferior Imperium armor. Though I would think it better to convert a "mechanic", or in my case a "Mech-Engineer", from a cadian or other human... give him some tau-ish stuff to represent him having a +3 save and the servo arm and whatever else... maybe to represent being trained by the Earth Caste...
For his servitors... that's a bit harder... I don't think a Gue'vesa would have as much access to the gun and combat servitors, but maybe just a cadian with those weapons to be his "assistant(s)", and maybe use some drones as technical servitors...

I could actually also see priests in some cases, though I doubt you'd want to call the unit a "priest". Humans are very able to be fired up over almost anything by scorching oratory, so depending on how devoted the people that make up your Gue'vesa are to the Greater Good, it could be a very Fluffy kinda thing. It's not hard to imagine a human crusade for the Greater Good - how different would that really be than the human crusade of the Imperium? Plus, imagine you opponent's reaction - how many people would be expecting a mostly pistol/ccw assault horde of an army after being told they'd be facing a Tau Human Auxiliary army?
Old 22 Oct 2007, 18:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeran Van Houten
In my opinion, techpriests are ok - someone has to fix all that inferior Imperium armor. Though I would think it better to convert a "mechanic", or in my case a "Mech-Engineer", from a cadian or other human... give him some tau-ish stuff to represent him having a +3 save and the servo arm and whatever else... maybe to represent being trained by the Earth Caste...
Now you say that, do Tau have any mechanic units like the Orks and Imperium do? Can you buy an Earth Caste Drone or something of the like? Though all that curvy Tau armour and advanced propultion systems might need something more than a field repair drone could give it..
Old 22 Oct 2007, 18:39   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

Nope, we are screwed at battlefield repairs...

edit: Though remember, that if you're playing with this sort of Gue'vesa stuff, you should probably be playing as an IG based army, not Tau... Tau only lets us field squads of like 8-12 lasgun equipped human infantry... I guess in an apoc game you could field a detachment of each army, but I'm not really familiar with the apoc rules...
Old 22 Oct 2007, 18:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Where can I get hold of the Auxiliary stat lines? Are they in the Apocalypse or Forgeworld books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Well, first off all, using Auxilliary units in your Tau army which aren`t in the Codex or officially GW-sanctioned is only allowed in friendly games after agreement of your opponent, and in Apocalypse games.
I'm just playing friendly games at the moment, but I'd still like to know what Auxiliary units I can confidently put on the table without having to ask my opponent.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 18:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/4...uxiliaries.htm
Old 22 Oct 2007, 19:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDFarsight
Where can I get hold of the Auxiliary stat lines? Are they in the Apocalypse or Forgeworld books?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
I'm just playing friendly games at the moment, but I'd still like to know what Auxiliary units I can confidently put on the table without having to ask my opponent.
From humans... none sadly. The only official Auxilaries the Tau have are Kroot and Vespid. The rules for Gue'vesa or Human Auxilaries were released in White Dwarf, but those rules can now only be found in the archive section of the Tau site on the UK GW site, they are an outdated remnant of 3rd Edition and are not entirely official anymore. Thus you will generally need to ask your opponent before using Gue'vesa, not that most people would complain that your taking lasguns over more pulse rifles.

As for other Human Auxilaries. Officially, there are none, nada, nothing what so ever. Just to get that distinction across, you cannot therefore take a Leman Russ and a few Storm Trooper squads as auxilaries in a Tau Force. The only time you can do that is in very large games where you have access to a second FoC and could take an entirely seperate Guard Army along with a Tau army, or in Apocalypse which specifically allows armies to be mixed with no limitations.

Thus the only human Auxilaries Tau have access too are Gue'vesa and even those are only remotely official now. You can collect an Imperial Guard army and model them as a Gue'vesa Regiment but you cannot mix them with Tau outside of multiple Force Organisation Chart games or Apocalypse officially.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 21:13   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

A pure IG force with Tau paint is more than acceptable. However, as it has been previously stated, mixing units outside of apocolypse or multiple FOC's is generally frowned upon. However, once you do get up to those large points value battles, it is a LOT of fun to to. Most of the conversions are fun, and there are more than enough excess bits among the tau stuff to model fusion blasters, plasma rifles, missile pod/launchers, tank equipment.

As for Gue-Vesa Techpriest equivalents, here's what I use:

While the model isn't spot on, it is meant to represent an Earth-Caste engineer attached to the Gue'vesa regiment. The plasma torch on the right arm represents his power-weapon, the chopped up pulse barrel is his laspistol, and the fusion blaster up top is a combination electromagnet and armor-welder (thus the one powerfist attack). As well, he is accompanied by a drone with a light fusion cannon (multi-melta servitor) and a posse of repair drones (still WIP).

So long as you try to play a fluffy army, most people will not have a problem with you mixing IG and Tau...that is, I haven't had any problems thus far doing so. I've even played full Tau Alliance, with Tau, Gue'vesa, and Kroot Mercenaries (no winged kroot), and been complemented on the uniqueness and fairness of my army.
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote