Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Specific Rules
Old 22 Oct 2007, 03:38   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Specific Rules

When it says it must be shown on the model, does anyone really follow that?
moomeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 03:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: Specific Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomeyer
When it says it must be shown on the model, does anyone really follow that?
It's called What You See Is What You Get or WYSIWYG and yes it is mandatory to play in GW stores and official events such as the Grand Tournaments etc and it is a good idea. Playing the game with extensive misrepresentations and lacking wargear is just not a good idea. Counts as is fine as long as it's obvious but to have wargear lacking is a bad idea as it confuses your opponent and is simply not very sporting.

For Tau it's a bit tricky since not all battlesuit or vehicular wargear has an accurate representation and many items count as multiple things. As long as you make it clear what represents what then your fine.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 03:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

I've ran into a few players that are very focuses on WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get). But if you're playing at a game store with casual players, then it shouldn't matter that much. Just be sure that if you play at a tournament or use the "Make your own vehicle" rules, then use WYSIWYG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 04:38   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Aww feth! I guess I will never play in a tournament (even though I wanted too). But every time I play a game I write everything I have down. And even before the game starts me and my friends announce every upgrade and other thing our guys have. Doesn't that count for anything?
moomeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 05:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Aww feth! I guess I will never play in a tournament (even though I wanted too). But every time I play a game I write everything I have down. And even before the game starts me and my friends announce every upgrade and other thing our guys have. Doesn't that count for anything?
Not with WYSIWYG, you can't expect your opponent to keep referring to a sheet to see what wargear your units have. It's not that hard to represent what you have, what models do you have that aren't represented? I mean things like hard-wired systems need no representation, and others can easily be done with a paint scheme or simple conversion of bits.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 05:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Why don't you give us an example of what kind of equipment you usually don't represent? With some items their could be some leeway.
Old 22 Oct 2007, 06:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
In tournaments, NO!!!.
"Okay, my Commisar charges your Chosen squad, that squad of Marines there will open up on the squad of Cultists, my Predator will shoot your Rhino, and, oh yes, my Warlord Titan shoots in the general direction of your army and kills everything. Good game, man."
shaseltulku100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 06:51   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TipTop1987 Send a message via Yahoo to TipTop1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
Why don't you give us an example of what kind of equipment you usually don't represent? With some items their could be some leeway.
Most of the Hard-wired gear. Though, with the Fire Warriors, I use the arm with the Scanner on it for the Target Lock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaseltulku100
In tournaments, NO!!!.
There's a lot of things that the Tau would have trouble representing! Such as a Failsafe Detonator and most of the Hard-wired equipment. How does one represent an explosive device on a model without strapping "TNT" to it's chest? And with the Hard-wired equipment, the Codex: Tau Empire, page 25, specifically states: "Hard-wired systems take the form of cybernetic upgrades or warrior jewellery,". So, you can see the dilemma with trying to WYSIWYG such things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley Qualls when she saw the back packs for the Space Marine models for the first time
"There are little skulls on the back of them. That is so cute!"
(\_/) This is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TipTop1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Oct 2007, 07:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

I always read the hard-wired description to mean that the systems would be integrated into the armor/suit of the model it was given - meaning it doesn't have to be physically represented like other wargear...

As for things like the failsafe, tnt would be the ork version... heh...
if you use magnetic hardpoints on your crisis suits, just magnetize a grenade thing from the firewarrior sprue and maybe put a could of wires leading off it... that can also work for the stim-injectors (as seen on the GW Tau page).. or anything else that looks suitably like a container of explosives...
Old 22 Oct 2007, 20:32   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

the rulebook says that wargear does not have to be represented on model for WSIWYG purposes just support systems and weapons systems
replica is offline   Reply With Quote