Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

the anti tau
View Poll Results: Which army fares best (generally) against tau in your opinion?
Space Marines 5 6.94%
Chaos Space Marines 8 11.11%
Imperial Guard 4 5.56%
Eldar 8 11.11%
Necrons 35 48.61%
Tyranids 8 11.11%
one of the minor races 1 1.39%
other Tau?!?!? 1 1.39%
Dark Eldar 2 2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Oct 2007, 23:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default the anti tau

I was just wondering who tends to give the beatdwon to tau, so enlighten me!
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 00:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: the anti tau

This is just my personal experience, but I'd say Necrons. *mumblegrumblePhalanxgrumble*

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Haahahhaha! I know what you mean!

But for me, it's those blasted guardsmen! My friend plays armored company, but i only have a hammerhead and pirahnas as my anti armor. I NEED BROADSIDES!

yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 00:14   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Necrons. Our main advantages as Tau players are our mobile firepower and our anti-GEq weapons. Neither is particularly effective against Necron infantry. The primary disadvantage of the Necrons is their vulnerability to power weapons and the like in close combat. This is far more effective than killing them in the shooting phase. With no Power Weapons and a terrible statline, Tau can rarely destroy a Necron unit in close-combat.

That said, the Tau can wipe out Monoliths very easily. What you need to fear as a Tau player is large blocks of Necron infantry supported by Destroyers.

The second toughest would be Godzilla Tyranids. The Tau dodn't really have a good answer for fully-loaded Carnifexes, as they will shut down Hammerheads easily, while Hammerheads can not be expected to cause enough wounds to kill them. I view this particular problem as a failing of the "Double Toughness" system as opposed to 2nd Edition's multi-wound weapons.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 00:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Guard aren't really too bad for me. Just maneuver properly so they can't bring their entire force against you (easy enough against an army as static as guard. Just make sure there's enough terrain). I don't have any broadsides (yet), but between my Hammerhead and Stealths I can generally turn those Russes into scrap, although it is a little annoying when they park them with their back against a wall/the board edge. :

I don't have much experience against Nidzilla armies (lots of swarms and mixed armies around here, all the better for me :P), so couldn't really comment.

TO'TAU'VA T'GUE'HE TO'CYR'HE
Kasrkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 03:53   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he

Necrons can be troublesome. Of course, we can take down their monoliths, but we can't effectively kill their warriors. Scarab swarms can be troublesome too, I've found. The obvious choice is to drop Hammerhead templates on them, but I usually like to put those shots on monoliths and warriors.
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 04:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via AIM to Xeran Van Houten Send a message via MSN to Xeran Van Houten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
What you need to fear as a Tau player is large blocks of Necron infantry supported by Destroyers.
I concur...
If I recall this was the second game I ever played... It was a scenario someone else set up, I was just playing the Tau side with the list they prepared... not exactly sure how they determined it was "balanced" or not... definitely a "learning experience" for me... heh...
Old 21 Oct 2007, 05:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I play against 'crons regularly so there isn't much that I haven't seen as far as necron tactics go. I think the Tau are pretty good at taking them down if you dedicate most of your army to shooting one unit at a time. Though this isn't cost effective point for point it, it does work. I use my hammer heads and broadsides to take down destroyers and heavy destroyers. Everything else is usually put against each advancing unit at a time or that squad of immortals that come in behind my lines with their lord with veil or darkness. Ya, it takes time and luck but if you can beat them down squad at a time they'll eventually go down, you just need to make sure you're killing a squad a turn. The Phalanx is pretty crappy so you'll have to think of some pretty unique ways to get the squads segregated or make sure the majority of the dead squad is 6" away from a friendly unit so that most of the squad can't rebuild.

Armoured companies are pretty brutal too sometimes but luckily our armour beats theirs every time! We just don't get as much so you'll have to make it count. They're way too slow to be able to affect all your tanks at once so just work on them one by one and try to dodge as much return fire as you can.

My worst enemy is a veteran chaos player. They've got every trick in the book up their sleeve and they'll pull it on you just as you think you're gaining the upper hand. Even though the guy playing the army is a nice dude, when you play against them they're as evil as Horus himself.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 05:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally, I have a lot of trouble against static marine armies as these usually have lascannon armed devastator squads out the wazoo. :-\ This could have a lot to do with running a mechanised list though. If I were to run static, or hybrid leaning towards static, I would have difficulties against different styles of play and armies. Thats what it comes down to in the end.
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Oct 2007, 05:43   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'll agree with you on that one Walrus Man. Static Marnines are a pain in the butt because you need transports to bring your troops to their fire base to kill them but they drop skimmers like its going out of style because of all the heavy weapons they're fielding. I find its a lose lose situation for us on that part. Come to think of it, I lost to an army like that at the last tournament I went to because I couldn't keep my fish floating long enough.