Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Combat Patrol for New Player
Old 19 Oct 2007, 19:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Combat Patrol for New Player

Hello! This is my first post, I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and I must say I am pretty impressed with the forum and the manners of the posters.
I am a bit new to 40K 4 months in now, I don't have a rulebook just yet but at my gaming shop the people are great for explaining rules and letting my read theirs, I will be getting one soon due to the fact that I have my combat patrol force finally! I do have the tau codex though.
The XV8 crisis suits are what got me into tau along with fire warriors. I have 5 of them and from what i've read on various forums a "fire knife" (plasma gun, missile pod, multitracker - i'm sure most people know that) is the best for a new player. So I guess I will be useing that layout in my combat patrol.
I will be playing a dark eldar player, I've seen a few games at 1500 points and they are pretty mean in assault. It seems that the XV8 crisis suits are not very good at assault so I would love any advice I can get. I don't know what he will be fielding exactly but he knows what I have, 5 XV8's & 12 fire warriors.
So what should I expect? I will be playing him wednesday night so any help on tactics and such would be great!
apostolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 20:24   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he
Default Re: Combat Patrol for New Player

It should be an interesting match. The biggest piece of advice I can give you is this - keep your distance. Dark Eldar can be speedy, and can close the distance somewhat quickly. Tau are not geared for Close Combat, so it is wise to stay out of CC range at all costs.

If you can keep your distance and peg the DE with shots, you should do fine, since all of your weapons will negate DE saves.
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 20:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Although i dont know too much about dark eldar i do know about Eldar and they arn't too terribly different when it comes down to basic strageies. Eldar rock when they get to charge and against tau them charging you is all but inevitable specially since you dont have a fish to protect your firewarriors. I can give you a few pointers real qiuck though. Dark Eldar vehicles are very fast but weak even our basic troop gun can bring them down with enough shots and the missile pods on your suits even more so with their 2 S7 shots, so in order to slow them down shoot any transports they have first. After that focus on any fast infantry they have. Secondly your suits are fast and can hide easily as I'm sure you know just remember to use terrain to your advantage jump out from behind a forest shoot then jump back into cover during the assault phase. Thirdly I would suggest splitting your fire warriors into 2 squads of six one with all rifles for long range support and rapid fire if they get too close and the other squad with all carbines as i believe the AP5 will still penetrate most of their armor and with 18' pinning shots you might be able to slow them up even more.
ZaruTal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 20:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Could someone explain the web way portal thing? The guy I'm playing said if he used it I wouldn't have a chance? All I know is that it lets him move faster?
Old 19 Oct 2007, 22:05   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he

Webway Portal. He can use it to deploy from anywhere on the map, basically.
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 03:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I would kit out your crisis suits with death rain (tl missle pods) instead of a fireknife but thats just preference.

They see him rolling,
They hating,
Patroling and trying to fix him with a dark lance,
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Trying to fix him with with a dark lance
Fix him with a dark lance,
Try to fix him with a dark lance.

(rap)
Rolling up 'cos I'm a Space Marine,
Heavy armour so it ain't hard to be seen, I ride, ride and they see me lean, Soritas and a TV screen, Yeah the Canoness, she likes cola, Mixed in a stolen drone controller, But then I just try to hold her, One smack and great, I'm in a coma
shashui tarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 03:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jingles
I would kit out your crisis suits with death rain (tl missle pods) instead of a fireknife but thats just preference.
Agreed. The TL MP & Targetting Array combo is how I run mine. Although I could very easily be classified a Deathrain fanboy (I LOVE 'em!), there's really not any particular army that they can't find a place where they will excel. Against Dark Eldar that place is going to initially be in taking down Raiders, progressing to taking pot shots at the closest/most dangerous unit (usually the same with DE unless he's got some buried heavy weapons -more on those later.) once that job is done.

Another good configuration against DE would be a Missile Pod/Burst Cannon/Multi Tracker. You've got to let them get within 24'' (gun range+your movement), but DE are going to get close whether you want them to or not. Even if there's nothing close, you can still snipe with the Missile Pods.

A big thing to watch out for is the buried heavy weapon in the warrior squads. He could attempt to intimidate you by rushing at you with almost everything (which, as a Tau player, can be pretty intimidating depending on the circumstance), while keeping a unit with heavy weapons back to try to snipe you. This type of unit is another great target for your Deathrain suits.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 04:05   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Against Dark Eldar, plasma rifles are a bit of an overkill, unless he has a Talos or something. I agree that Deathrains are the better option. Burst cannons aren't that bad either. If you want to be REALLY risky, you can take a flamer on one of your suits. It'll require the enemy to get close, but it will penetrate most DE armour saves, and will wound on 3s. Plus, he probably won't be expecting it. I've done far better than I've deserved to with Flamers before.
Old 20 Oct 2007, 07:09   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

After doing the math I think I can get 6 deathrains and 8 fire warriors. That seems pretty good if I'm shooting at 36' range and I think from seeing the stat line that it would remove any armor save with AP 4.