Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

That....shouldn't have happened...
Old 19 Oct 2007, 14:14   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY
Default That....shouldn't have happened...

Mission: Take and Hold
Objective: Defend and keep claim on the objective
Time: Bottom Turn 4
Unit: Kroot Carnivore and Hound squad 2
Enemy: Dark Angels Space Marine Tactical squad

12 Kroot Carnivores and 8 Kroot Hounds charge out of the woods like a lightning bolt from a blue sky.* Thunderous in their battle cry, the 20-strong Kroot squad come down on the Dark Angels squad like a hammer, pre-emptively attacking the Space Marines as they attempt to take the bait of a fully-loaded Broadside Team.* 24 attacks from the fangs of ferocity....

12 hit...

6 wound...

1 Marine dies a bloody death.

The Marines answer back with an equally pitiful 9 attacks, taking 2 Kroot Carnivores down.

10 Kroot answer back with 30 attacks...

10 hit...

Another 6 wound...

2 Marines die from the primitive rifle-blades...

The Sergeant comes last with the 'Fist.* 3 attacks...

2 hit...

2 more Kroot Carnivores are smashed to bloody pieces...

The Kroot squad, still 16 strong, outnumbering more than 2:1, attempt to break and run...

The Marines scatter the squad, utterly destroying it...
[hr]
Okay, so my vaunted Kroot, the bane of the Eldar in my last three games, come up amazingly short this last game.* Seriously, I had 54 attacks in there before the Powerfist, I was expecting to nearly wipe the squad.

So I just want to know, what has been your recent let-down from the dice gods?* Those Kroot getting scattered by the Marines I guess make up for the fact that the other Kroot squad, locked in cover in the center of the board, made about 93% of their 4+ cover saves, but that squad didn't really do much of anything during the course of the game besides contest the objective, which is good, but seriously...

C'MON 54 ATTACKS!!!

[rants/raves]

[throws Kroot models at the wall]
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 14:18   #2 (permalink)
Kai
Shas'Ui

Default Re: That....shouldn't have happened...

I friend of mine once had a terminator lord come under fire from several squads of... something I can't remember. Either way the result was that he took 17 wounds. When he came to roll saving throws every single dice came up as 1's.

I have never seen, and doubt I will ever see, anything like it. Except this is Danny (Corai on the ogre stronghold boards) who has had the worst luck in any game every, and the next time we played blood bowl he managed to lose out of 5 touch downs by failing his go for it roll on the last square in one game.
Originally Posted by Kai
Quote:
Originally Posted by †Methelas†
The Titan is not a human, therefore has no genitals!
My subtle diagram disagrees with you.
your "subtle" diagram contains Optimus Prime and Proffessor Farnsworth, it's heresy in it's own right!
Any similarities between your reality and mine are purely coincidental...
Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 16:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

one of my friends rolled 30 ones in a battle... all in one roll....
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 16:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In my last CP battle against Orks

In one turn I shot at a Killer Kan that was going to assault my FW next turn, with...

4 Strength 7 Missiles, then
3 Strength 6 Sniper Drone shots, then
4 Strength 5 Twin linked Gun Drone Carbines, then
20 Strength 5 Rapid firing Pulse.

Not a scratch and simply because of that, I lost.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 16:53   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

My 12 man honour guard, BS 4 hitting on 3's
all 2's and 1's for 4 turns

In the same battle, against 'nids, my only crisis team, deep striked and scattered 12" off of the table by 1"
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 19:23   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he

The dice gods only like painted models, I have discovered.

I have two hammerheads I frequently field. One is partially painted, the other has recently been stripped and has yet to be re-primed.

In a battle against Khorne CSM. I'm firing at a tank with the stripped-down Railhead. First two turns of the game, I need a 3+ to hit. I roll 2's. Turn 3, my Tetra finally manages to paint the tank with a markerlight. Go go Railgun hitting on a 2+! I rolled a 1...

Finally a turn later I manage to hit, penetrate, and destroy the damned thing.
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

You do realize you hit almost the exact mathematical averages right?

I mean out of 54 attacks hitting on 4's is only 27 hits, 13.5 wounds and he saved all but three. The average would have been saving all but 4.5 so it was a little left of center but still fairly close to the mark you got pretty close to the mark.

In return he had 9 attacks hitting on 4's so 4.5 hits, wounding on 3's so 3 wounds would have been 3 dead Kroot there and you only lost two. Then his powerfist gets 3 attacks hitting on 4's so 1.5 hits, wounding on 2's so 1.25 dead for a total of 4.25 dead Kroot on average. He killed 4 total so that is pretty much exactly what should be expected.

So you placed you Kroots average of 4.5 kills against his average of 4.25 and expected to wipe him out? And when it didn't happen you were going to rely on what, a pitiful 7 LD check? I don't know what you're complaining about. You should nver have chosen to assault them, Kroot aren't really made for charging, they are made to shoot with their rapid fire STR4 guns. Then you let the enemy charge you in cover and you get to go first or at the same time if he has frag grenades. In that case you still would have killed 2-3 on average if he charged you but the difference would be that you could have whittled him down with bolter shots on his way in giving him less attacks.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh but people complaining about dice rolls when the truth is they didn't calculate the correct odds and only though "gee I've got X amount of attacks I can't lose" or some such nonsense is ridiculous. You made a poor tactical decision and now you want to imagine it is the fault of the dice when in fact it was your fault for not knowing the correct course of action. The problem is not that you didn't know it's that you are not willing or able to face the reality of the situation and learn from your mistake. How do you plan on getting any better if you arbitrarily blame the dice for your failures instead of rationally analyazing the situation and determining the correct course of action for next time?

You can't imagine how many times I've been on the recieving end of people complaining at me saying I'm getting "sooooo lucky" and they are getting "sooooo unlucky". I want to scream at them. So next time you get "bad dice rolls" do some quick math and see if it really was bad at all or just a "little left of center". It's reactions like this that cause people to get poor sportsmanship scores because they feel cheated by the dice and want to lash out when the truth is they got beat fair and square.

And incidentally pond 823's experience with that killa kan does qualify as bad dice rolls and he has every right to be a little upset about that. Funny thing is he seems to have taken his horrible luck better than you have taken your average luck.

BTW I'm sorry this sounded so harsh but this right here is my biggest pet peeve in the world when it comes to 40k. I g et so annoyed when people complain when they lose to me and blame the dice and they are unwilling to admit that maybe they were simply bested. It's very petty and I feel like what they are really saying is that the only reason I win is because I am lucky and they are unlucky. This is insulting to me as I am nobody's fool on the battlefield or in life, and I'd appreciate a little credit where credit is due. When I am beaten I don't copmlain and blame luck, I try and learn from the loss. Even if I get horrible rolls all game I may get a little depressed but then I think "Hey I did the best I could do" or "I know I only made one or two mistakes, it wasn't all my fault". Anyway I am sorry for coming down on you so hard but like I said this really grinds my gears.

/end rant

Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah three squads of my Kroot Mercs charge an old 4th edition Daemon Prince, getting about 90 something attacks on the charge including Eviscerators, and a Power Weapon.

A single wound. One single wound. The Kroot loose combat and fail their LD, all three squads...

Classic.
Old 19 Oct 2007, 21:47   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Kroot are not that good at close-combat. The lower Initiative and general lack of either armor or power weapons means that regular Space Marines can do a real number on them.

So unfortunately, that is basically what should have happened. It is important to remember that Kroot are not a unit like Wyches or Genestealers (that can easily destroy just about any opponent on the charge), or like Space Marine Assault Squads (that can hang out for a few rounds of combat without taking much damage). They are great at counter-charging small units and hanging out in the trees, but they aren't really suited to charging MEq opponents.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Oct 2007, 08:40   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
You do realize you hit almost the exact mathematical averages right?

I mean out of 54 attacks hitting on 4's is only 27 hits, 13.5 wounds and he saved all but three. The average would have been saving all but 4.5 so it was a little left of center but still fairly close to the mark you got pretty close to the mark.

In return he had 9 attacks hitting on 4's so 4.5 hits, wounding on 3's so 3 wounds would have been 3 dead Kroot there and you only lost two. Then his powerfist gets 3 attacks hitting on 4's so 1.5 hits, wounding on 2's so 1.25 dead for a total of 4.25 dead Kroot on average. He killed 4 total so that is pretty much exactly what should be expected.

So you placed you Kroots average of 4.5 kills against his average of 4.25 and expected to wipe him out? And when it didn't happen you were going to rely on what, a pitiful 7 LD check? I don't know what you're complaining about. You should nver have chosen to assault them, Kroot aren't really made for charging, they are made to shoot with their rapid fire STR4 guns. Then you let the enemy charge you in cover and you get to go first or at the same time if he has frag grenades. In that case you still would have killed 2-3 on average if he charged you but the difference would be that you could have whittled him down with bolter shots on his way in giving him less attacks.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding harsh but people complaining about dice rolls when the truth is they didn't calculate the correct odds and only though "gee I've got X amount of attacks I can't lose" or some such nonsense is ridiculous. You made a poor tactical decision and now you want to imagine it is the fault of the dice when in fact it was your fault for not knowing the correct course of action. The problem is not that you didn't know it's that you are not willing or able to face the reality of the situation and learn from your mistake. How do you plan on getting any better if you arbitrarily blame the dice for your failures instead of rationally analyazing the situation and determining the correct course of action for next time?

You can't imagine how many times I've been on the recieving end of people complaining at me saying I'm getting "sooooo lucky" and they are getting "sooooo unlucky". I want to scream at them. So next time you get "bad dice rolls" do some quick math and see if it really was bad at all or just a "little left of center". It's reactions like this that cause people to get poor sportsmanship scores because they feel cheated by the dice and want to lash out when the truth is they got beat fair and square.

And incidentally pond 823's experience with that killa kan does qualify as bad dice rolls and he has every right to be a little upset about that. Funny thing is he seems to have taken his horrible luck better than you have taken your average luck.

BTW I'm sorry this sounded so harsh but this right here is my biggest pet peeve in the world when it comes to 40k. I g et so annoyed when people complain when they lose to me and blame the dice and they are unwilling to admit that maybe they were simply bested. It's very petty and I feel like what they are really saying is that the only reason I win is because I am lucky and they are unlucky. This is insulting to me as I am nobody's fool on the battlefield or in life, and I'd appreciate a little credit where credit is due. When I am beaten I don't copmlain and blame luck, I try and learn from the loss. Even if I get horrible rolls all game I may get a little depressed but then I think "Hey I did the best I could do" or "I know I only made one or two mistakes, it wasn't all my fault". Anyway I am sorry for coming down on you so hard but like I said this really grinds my gears.

/end rant

I agree with you COMPLETELY and utterly Israfel.I despise people who blame there loss on little white cubes.
"Okay, my Commisar charges your Chosen squad, that squad of Marines there will open up on the squad of Cultists, my Predator will shoot your Rhino, and, oh yes, my Warlord Titan shoots in the general direction of your army and kills everything. Good game, man."
shaseltulku100 is offline   Reply With Quote