Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

help!!
Old 18 Oct 2007, 05:13   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default help!!

right i have a 2 on 2 game tonight 750 pts each ill be faceing chaos and necrons but i cant decide weather to take a rail gun or ion cannon hammerhead or a sky ray please help as i really want too do well tonight and any tips for faceing necrons would be gratefully appreciated
Old 18 Oct 2007, 05:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Re: help!!

First off remember to use punctuation and grammar when posting, it makes your posts easier to understand and there really is no rush, posting something a few minutes faster isn't going to get replies a whole lot faster, so take your time.

That said I'd suggest a Railgun on the Hammerhead, the Ioncannon may be better against Necrons in many cases but overall I find the Railgun more versatile, plus a non-scattering str 6, ap 4 large blast template is a very fun thing to drop on squads of whatever army.

As for facing Necrons use your range, take out anything fast or long ranged that they have and then simply outpace the slower squads and warriors, target the Necron units and cause your enemy to phase out, that way you don't have to try and destroy his entire army, focus on what can hurt you the most early, and anything that can keep pace with you such as Destroyers or Scarabs.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 05:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
First off remember to use punctuation and grammar when posting, it makes your posts easier to understand and there really is no rush, posting something a few minutes faster isn't going to get replies a whole lot faster, so take your time.

That said I'd suggest a Railgun on the Hammerhead, the Ioncannon may be better against Necrons in many cases but overall I find the Railgun more versatile, plus a non-scattering str 6, ap 4 large blast template is a very fun thing to drop on squads of whatever army.

As for facing Necrons use your range, take out anything fast or long ranged that they have and then simply outpace the slower squads and warriors, target the Necron units and cause your enemy to phase out, that way you don't have to try and destroy his entire army, focus on what can hurt you the most early, and anything that can keep pace with you such as Destroyers or Scarabs.
i apologise for my grammer and punctuation as i have been up all night and my head isn't working properly,right ill add that into my list thanks

right so destroyers and scarabs first got ya cheers bud
Old 18 Oct 2007, 06:23   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'd have to disagree about the Railhead, but that's just me. Personally, I find the Ion cannon more useful for engaging 3+ armour-save targets (MEQ, or whatever they're called ). The str 6 AP 4 blast hits plenty of models, but with both a 3+ armour save and the WBB rule, it's just too hard to kill Necrons with. Actually, I think the solid shot is more efficient, unless you're feeling lucky. One point I must concede, however, is that the blast is incredibly useful for killing Scarabs, and the solid shot insta-kills Destroyers. As a replacement, I suggest one Team Leader Broadside, with a HW drone controller, 1 or 2 shield drones, a bonding knife, and the A.S.S.. Very effective at killing destroyers, providing that they don't sneak up on you behind cover. Thankfully, in a small match like this, you probably won't encounter a Monolith... If you do, just remember that it's slow and close range, so you don't have to worry about it right away.

Seeker Missiles are very nice for killing off necrons, but, with the limited number that you're likely to have, they're not likely to put a major dent in his forces, unless you have the points for two Skyrays.

Against Chaos, use the same sort of tactics you use on Space Marines (for the most part) and, for goodness sake, stay out of the way of his Chaos Lord! Those things will murdalize anything they get into CC with, and they tend to be winged.

Hopefully your partner is playing something CC. If so, let his heavy CC units take on the necron warriors (with their crappy initiative and 1 attack), while you focus on taking down Chaos.

Oh, one more note. Deathrains devastate scarabs.

-Geoff
Old 18 Oct 2007, 11:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

1. Get a Ionhead
2. Get broadside
3. Get as many shots as possible
4. Start game....
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 11:18   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by executioner
1. Get a Ionhead
2. Get broadside
3. Get as many shots as possible
4. Start game....
5. ???
6. Profit.

[hr]

My advice, whilst slightly biased, is to get the Ionhead. Its cheap, effective, and can blat both with ease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 11:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Blat is an understatement.....
executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 16:41   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

The problem with Broadsides however is that they are slow. They can pound Destroyers at range yes but when the rest of the Necron warriors reach the fight the Broadside will be significantly outgunned and it cannot outrun or move and shoot fast enough to keep ahead of the Warriors. Most Necron armies I've seen have at least two full squads of Warriors that simply march across the field shrugging off whatever punishment they take to bring their gause flayers in range.

That leads to the problem of the Ioncannon. Yes it can down 3 Necrons a turn if your lucky but it can't bring down the heavier Necrons as efficiently, it can't scratch a Monolith and it doesn't have the rate of fire to stop things like scarabs rushing it (which is dangerous because Scarabs are excelent at bringing down armor, even skimmers or Land Raiders). While the Ioncannon appears to be better at first and on paper, in practice I've found that the versatility offered by the Railgun is a solid option.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 18:32   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

With only 750 points, you will not be facing a Monolith. The Lord is going to weigh in at around 200 pts, and the compulsory two units of Warriors are at least 360. So your opponent will only have 190-odd points to fill the rest of the list, not enough for the pyramid. He might fill the last block with another group of Warriors, or possibly Destroyers.

So in this case, I think the Ion Cannon would actually be the better choice. Ordinarily, I would pick a Railgun first for the reasons Vash mentioned. But since 750 pts. is not enough for heavier vehicles in either list, you would probably be better off focusing on quantity over quality.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Oct 2007, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
The problem with Broadsides however is that they are slow. They can pound Destroyers at range yes but when the rest of the Necron warriors reach the fight the Broadside will be significantly outgunned and it cannot outrun or move and shoot fast enough to keep ahead of the Warriors. Most Necron armies I've seen have at least two full squads of Warriors that simply march across the field shrugging off whatever punishment they take to bring their gause flayers in range.
then you are very lucky, i have an opponant who uses his necron lord like a taxi, he uses the vail of darkness to bring a huge (maximum) squad of necrons right up beside me, then rapid fires them (so he has like 40 dice) and then wipes ou somthing big like my hammerheads. (even tho he hits and glances of 6's!!! with 40 shots, he's bound to get some glancs