Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Apocalypse gears ------> What do we really need ?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 13:49   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Apocalypse gears ------> What do we really need ?

(This is for all the Tau-exclusive players out there, not talking about the "I own 5 armies" type of player)
So, with no new model or wargear or weapon to speak of, what do we really need in all the stuff that came out for apocalypse but the book ? We don'T need the giga-template, we don't need the big gun dice, I don't care about an IG / chaos backpack, there's no new models for us, I'm thinking about getting the vortex template, that would be a nice add-on for my ethereal (yes, I field an ethereal !!!) but that's pretty much it !!!
Did I missed something ? Is there more for us than what I see ?
korto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 13:56   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to ForbiddenKnowledge
Default Re: Apocalypse gears ------> What do we really need ?

What we needed? S D railguns.

What we got? Bugger all of any use, save our flyers. Even they are better using the FW rules, from what I've seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim.
Rafe is damn sexy once he gets into his night attire.
ForbiddenKnowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 14:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

What else do you want when we have everything we need to kick everyone's behind? ;D
Old 17 Oct 2007, 14:44   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

You're right, np there. I'm just saying that we don't have to spend money on useless stuff and I wanted to make sure that I was not mistaken thinking that I don't need anything but the book and the vortex template.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

pretty much yeah, you only need the vortex template and rule book. I just scrounge rule books off friends, so much easier and cheaper.

tau dont have much new stuff, but then again, they need it. I only wanted flyers, which i am pleased we got, seeing as i own a barracuda. Tau dont need new things really. the fact that we own railguns means most big things can be taken down with relative ease. think how many broadsides u can take 4 that.

The counter of being able to take titans and such is combated by the fact they can be easily killed. Try deep strikign a shas'el behind a warhound titan, and attcking a vortex grenade to its foot. i done this beofre, and works wonders.

The only thing i dont like is the fact that assult armies will get there quiclky. But the treat of this is reduced, others content to sit back and fire with massive guns

C:\Users\Samuel\Pictures\SINDRI.jpg
fattyboy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to halohog

Err... Vortex... Grenades?

What the flipedydoodah are they?
Old 17 Oct 2007, 17:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to legio mortis

Quote:
Originally Posted by railgun convention
Err... Vortex... Grenades?
And the Tau have them?! I always thought that they were Imperial weapons, and that the Tau don't know how to make them.
But seriously, a Guardsman, I'm willing to bet, could a) outshoot me, b) give me the beating of my life, and c) shove more squad-based tactics down my throat than I'd ever care to digest. Guard are hard, hard men. Whether or not GW's inconsistent, Marine-worshipping fluff keeps with that, mkay?

Real men fight in tanks!

sig by Kais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Legio why do I always imagine you shouting when I read your posts? :P
legio mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:00   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

just think of it as a 'count as'- the Necrons shouldn't have a vortex grenade either- or the Tyranids.

But you bring up a good point- Tau needed some more and this is what I think it should have been:

-Ax out new technology and new units, we don't need them and Forgeworld has always had our backs, instead- Tau needed more Stratagems. We're supposed to be a fast, mobile force- so give us even more of a 'us military feel.'
-That and we should have gotten some kind of new rules for HQ- such as a Command Retinue, a High Council or... well... something. We don't need new characters- but we need some kind of nod to the old ones.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:01   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

It's an asset (ref.: apocalypse) that you can pick for any army. You guys red the new book right ? I'm not gonna give out the stats for the vortex 'nade but let's just say it's a blast marker thrown d6 away and that kills anything instantly, no save allowed of any kind, instant kill no matter how many wounds. Against gargantuans, super heavies, titans and such they take away a random number of structure pts instead. It also scatters in the following turns, 2d6 random direction, and disapears if a double is rolled. (Advice: Make sure you equip it on a jetpack-equiped model if you don't want it to fire back at you scattering backward !!!) Pretty good imo !!! You equip one of the crisis in a rapid insertion force (i.e.: in O'Shova's hands) and you can throw it effectively at pretty much anything you want.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 18:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

We do have strength D guns, on the Tiger Shark and Manta. This has been confirmed by GW in an email, according to... someone on these forums. Can't remember where.