Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

effective way to deal with certain space marines...
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:00   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default effective way to deal with certain space marines...

namely, the jump-pack chaplain and the assault bikes - both huge problems for my army. i should mention that i try to play a relatively mech tau and usually around 500 or so points and never over 1000.

i've tried to fish of fury them, but to no avail.

any sure-fire remedies to this blight?
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: effective way to deal with certain space marines...

Seekers, and a fast markerlight source. That aside Piranhas do nicely as well.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Stay in your transport!

Put flechettes on it, and just rely on the fact that they require 6's to hit in close combat and can only glance to keep you alive. Against assaulty armies, there's no reason to deploy your Firewarriors from their nice, safe, AV12 Devilfish. And if this is the case, there's no reason to bring the full compliment of 12 either. Just bring the minimum 6 required to include the 'fish and zip around firing SMS shots for 6 turns.

Easy.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
Stay in your transport!

Put flechettes on it, and just rely on the fact that they require 6's to hit in close combat and can only glance to keep you alive. Against assaulty armies, there's no reason to deploy your Firewarriors from their nice, safe, AV12 Devilfish. And if this is the case, there's no reason to bring the full compliment of 12 either. Just bring the minimum 6 required to include the 'fish and zip around firing SMS shots for 6 turns.

Easy.
Well there is one reason to deploy, and that's to actually grab an objective on turn 6.
A recent FAQ noted that scoring units lose their scoring status while in a Transport.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 01:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

as predicted he used his typical group of 7 assault marines and a chaplain, because i guess he's worried about losing in melee or something? ;D

anyhow, it was a draw, but i found that i hurriedly had to get everyone out of the devilfish as it was glanced on the first turn by a lascannon-toting devastator squad he kept hidden in the building i was to claim. i managed to use a combination of gun drone teams and a very unfortunate contingent of kroot as bait, luring him into 20 re-rolled (the strategem i chose) markerlit pulse rifle shots, 3 rapid-firing plasma rifle shots and 6 missile pod shots. needless to say, the group was destroyed utterly even while in their hideout (the building they needed to claim)

i guess what i'm saying is that i needed to trick him into assaulting units that he'd defeat easily, but in strategic locations, thus leaving him stranded in the open, or right where i wanted him. i also even managed to used a destroyed devilfish as a wreck between two narrow buildings, cutting off the avenue of attack for his assault bikes, making them waste a round by going around the long way.
krupintupple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 01:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

plasma?

sigged by DRobot

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying". -Oscar Wilde

"When it comes to thought, some people stop at nothing".-unknown

"we're not retreating; we're advancing in another direction"-General Douglas MacArthur
Grey Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 03:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Well there is one reason to deploy, and that's to actually grab an objective on turn 6.
A recent FAQ noted that scoring units lose their scoring status while in a Transport.
Where's that FAQ and can you PM me a link to it? I got into a rather um *heated* debate about this recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Gah! Not a silly Canadian. Can't Falstead ever be wrong?!?!? ;D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe (Autarch Kiardras)
My god.... the sarcasm there nearly shorted out my computer screen Nice.
Falstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 03:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Man, I can't believe he's fielding a squad like that in a 500 point battle! The 7 assult marines and the jump chaplain has to be at least half his points right there. I'd say that next time you play him dedicate everything to killing that! It would be a huge blow to his force and then he'd totally get owned!

Oh and good job btw on the battle! Sounds like that was a pretty sweet moment when you took care of those devastators.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falstead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
Where's that FAQ and can you PM me a link to it? I got into a rather um *heated* debate about this recently.
It is th rulebook- FAQ, which rukes that models inside of transports do not count as physically on the table. Thus no scoring either.

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote