Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Player Tau Needs Help
Closed Thread
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:01   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default New Player Tau Needs Help

Hey everybody, first of all i think this site is great. It is IMHO the best Tau site on the web.

Ok as the head says im a new tau player but i still need an army to collect. Here's the part where i need help.
Im in search of an army that can beat primarely Tyranid and secondly SM i know its a difference but if really more to beat the tyranids.
I got 15 FW already and im going for a 1000 point list, van anyone help? Also any other help/tactics/comment would be appreciated.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX
Default Re: New Player Tau Needs Help

Welcome aboard Ellandir, you certainly have found the best Tau board Be sure to read the Forum Rules and enjoy your stay!

As for your future army and tactics, you've come to the right place. You won't have to tailor your force to much to fight both opponents because you can beat them both with the same models, using just tactics to and style and targeting judgement to change with the opponent.

Much will flow in, but as I wait for others, here's my first little blurb before I return:

Against the Tryanid, you will want Devilfish and a Hammerhead. Armor is what Tau needs to beat the bugs easily and to remain fast and mobile to keep from being swarmed and it also protects against those monstrous bugs that may fly up and attack your vehicles, but thanks to skimmer rules, they can barely hit the vehicle and you will have good chances of escaping. Volume and templates beat the bugs back. However, should they take more Big Bugs in their lists (ie: monstrous creatures, such as hive tyrants and carnifexes) then you will want some higher strength and better AP to help remove the fast ones. Slow carnifexes aren't a problem for Tau, but those fast Hive Tyrants can be. That's where your Suits will come into play, though I would not advise a lot of suits to be taken against the Tyranid. Another valuable ally against the bugs are Kroot--they're cheaper and their guns kill bugs very quickly and can do some damage in combat afterwards should they be required. They're a good unit to fight, kill and lose instead of mobile mounted Firewarriors.

Against the marines, the same things can be used, mobility and volume firepower, focused on target per target. In this game, the transports and hammerhead again will play the big rolls. This fight, is where you may introduce more battle suits though, as Crisis eat marines alive.

More will come later, so I hope this whets your appetite.

Here's some good links to check while the thread is put on the slow cooker

Tactics Index
Tau vs Tyranid Tactics I
Tau vs Tyranid Tactics II

If you check these, be sure to read them through, as sometimes it takes time to get "hot" onto what you're after.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:26   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Burst cannons are tasty against Gaunts and Stealers as they punch thru their weak armor. Missile pods too as they are long-ranged.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:31   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Like you said, i'm already very eager to beat the 'hell' out of some tyranid, and is it always that people reply that fast?
Thanks for the really good tips, i know you have said that more reply's will come but i'd like some help on making
an army. Anyway i really appreciate all the help i've got.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Well, more will come later, it's a bit early right now, not quite the peek time for a weekday ;D

As for creating an Army List--you have 15 Firewarriors, and that's it currently? No gundrones with those? What kind of budget are we looking at? And most importantly, do you have an idea of the units you want to use or your gaming style? It will be easy to recommend solid lists for beating bugs, but not everyone plays the same way, so some people can accomplish the same effects using different units--it call comes down to how you want to do it (there's no one set way to do anything!).
Old 22 Mar 2005, 14:51   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I have the 15 FW and 2 gun drones, i know thats not a lot but My b-day is coming up and i've got $60. For my gaming style, i really,really,really love firepower.
(i'm not new to wargaming, im in Lotr and Warhammer to) Thats why i love the Tau! I really like Stealths,FW,Suits. Is that enough? If not please not tell me,
im not really familiar with forums. And when is the peek?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 15:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A good thing you could do against the Nids is Fish of fury tactic. Which requires DevilFish and Fire Warriors. Also the best Gaunt killer is the Hammer Head since the Sub shot is str6 and can insta kill the lil buggers in a hit. For space marines you could use the FOF tactic aswell with stealth teams.
Hope that helps.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 15:07   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Another annoying newbie question . What is the purpose of FoF, i know what it is but why not stay back and blast them to pices from far?
Old 22 Mar 2005, 15:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellandir
Another annoying newbie question . What is the purpose of FoF, i know what it is but why not stay back and blast them to pices from far?
The purpouse is:
- to deliver the firepower where you need it most
- to outrun most of the enemy units
- to protect your warriors from small arms fire (and low S cc Attacks)
- and most of all in this case to protect your unit from close combat.

FoF is really great as all your vehicles are skimmers, so cc attack against them are not much usefull, and all suits (except broadsides) are fast enough to keep distance from enemy.
Old 22 Mar 2005, 15:21   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Not only that, but it effectively doubles the firepower of your Fire Warriors.* It makes the assumption that the target unit will not have enough members left to take advantage of that in their next shooting phase.* This is normally a good assumption.* On top of that, if I understand correctly, they will have to pass a leadership test (hopefully at -1) to shoot past your devilfish.* Because they can't charge, can't really hurt the devilfish, and shouldn't have enough troops left to shoot effectively, it is an ideal tactic.* On top of that, it can be extremely demoralizing for your enemy, especially when you throw down 48 strength 5 shots (2-team FoF) into someone's favorite point sink.* The more they worry about those Devilfish, the safer your Hammerheads will be from anti-armor fire, and vs. versa.
Closed Thread