Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Star of Damocles- What it reveals
Old 16 Oct 2007, 03:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113
Default Star of Damocles- What it reveals

Alright well last week while at Borders I came across "Star of Damocles" while looking for new books to devour instead of doing homework or studying. So earlier today I finished the book and it does reveal a few interresting things.

Firstly it appears that the Tau re-designed their fleet a bit earlier than previously estimated. If I remember right the Tau fleet did not enter it's redesign until after the Damocles Gulf Crusade displayed how outclassed the Tau ships were. Now however with the events in the "Star of Damocles" it appears that the Tau had already begun to redesign their fleet before the Imperials managed to get through the Damocles Gulf and bring the fight to them.

Also the Damocles Gulf is shown a bit more. The mysteries about the region have not been brought into anymore clarity but it is now apparent just how odd that area of space is, and how odd the Tau held systems are in the first place. The navigators in SoD explained how the system appeared to be young, as though all the age of the aeons had been wiped clean. The navigators and Astropaths also reported that the region of space was filled with strange anomalies, not necessarily from the warp, but related to the warp and making the region more dangerous. Indeed the ship Ajax was lost in the warp during the trip across the gulf.

Perhaps the gulf's anomalies are an after affect of the warp storms that cut off the region for so long, or perhaps they are because of some ancient xenos faction, Eldar, Necron or perhaps something... else, maybe related to the Dawn Blade and Arthas Moloch, or maybe not.

Also Puretide gets a short bit of examination in the book, and his 3 pupils, Farsight, Shadowsun and Icewind. We know of Farsight and Shadowsun but their relationship and Shadowsun's hatred for Farsight may see explenation later in the series, and Icewind is a relative unknown. The possibilities are quite interresting.

In any case those are just a few things revealed or hinted at in Star of Damocles, whatever their implications it's at least good to see the Tau getting a little more examination slipped into the endless tide of Space Marines, Chaos and Inquisition stories out there.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 04:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Star of Damocles- What it reveals

In regards to the starship redesigns, well of course they'd start redesigning them by this part in the series they've already encountered the Imperium and how their starships fight showing flaws in their fleet structure (encountering small numbers of Imperial craft after having unsuccessfully tired to take some Imperial planets). I suspect though that the Democles Crusade would again show them more weakness in their fleet as they are forced to deal with even greater numbers of Imperial ships in large scale battles.

In regards to Shadowsun and Farsight, they probably don't hate each other yet (well all we know is currently is that Shadowsun hates Farsight now, not vise versa). IMO, Shadowsun hates farsight because he turned his back on the Tau Empire, and obviously we haven't gotten to that point yet.

This Icewind character may prove interesting, though who knows, he may have just been put in to die later. Still I look forward to the next installment, and hopefully this will be more then just a trio of books as I'd like to learn much more about the Tau. These books do give a bit of insight into the Tau, but for being the main enemy, I'd like it if they'd have showed more earlier in the series.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 04:22   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I still like my old "Shadowsun as homicidally spurned Farsight underclassman fangirl" theory, since it adds a touch 'o the old high school drama to the Tau high command.

I do hope Icewind gets developed, though, since he may end up making an obvious "conventional" Tau special character to complement the other two.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 05:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I particularly liked this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star of Damocles, pg. 62
[Immediately following Inquisitor Grand's invasive torture and psychic interrogation of a Tau prisoner]

"I saw a race entirely consumed with a false ideology. They believe they expand for the good of all, but I saw where they fear to look, and I saw it is fear that drives the tau ever outwards, and it is fear that will ultimately drive them to destruction as they are dashed against the ancient forces at large in the galaxy."

"I saw a race that believes the galaxy is a small place. A place they believe they can tae with childish ideologies and cold technologies. They hurl themselves across the void without an inkling of who or what awaits them. If they only knew..."
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 05:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange
In regards to the starship redesigns, well of course they'd start redesigning them by this part in the series they've already encountered the Imperium and how their starships fight showing flaws in their fleet structure (encountering small numbers of Imperial craft after having unsuccessfully tired to take some Imperial planets). I suspect though that the Democles Crusade would again show them more weakness in their fleet as they are forced to deal with even greater numbers of Imperial ships in large scale battles.
No you missed the point. BFG fluff dates from what I remember placed the overhaul of the Tau fleet from the bulky, sectionated and almost box car like ships they used in most of their early expansions to the sleek predatory ships of the 3rd sphere expansions as being more than a little after the Damocles Gulf Crusade. The Star of Damocles thus contradicts that material.

Quote:
In regards to Shadowsun and Farsight, they probably don't hate each other yet (well all we know is currently is that Shadowsun hates Farsight now, not vise versa). IMO, Shadowsun hates farsight because he turned his back on the Tau Empire, and obviously we haven't gotten to that point yet.
That is a theory but not necessarily true. Farsight and Shadowsun may hate each other already. Both have taken on a particular aspect of Puretide's teachings and the aspects they chose to emulate in their style appear to be contradictory. Thus as rivals and disagreeing personalities they may already hate each other. Shadowsun's view of Farsight's exile may have simply turned her hatred into outright mania but we shall see.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 22:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

i think the publication of this book only furthers the 'time stitch' - i don't think Farsight is that old anymore.
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:33   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Except that it still takes place before the Tyranids attacked. I would say that it only makes the timeline issues worse. At least we used to have the possibility that Shadowsun studied with Puretide at a much later date, and only Farsight and Puretide were abnormaly old. Now we basically have to shift the Damocles Gulf Crusade to the saming timing as Ichar IV. And I am not sure Star of Damocles really helps us do that.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Or... We can simply say the Tau don't live to be only 40-50 years old anymore, since there's considerably less fluff supporting that argument (and it's old as hell, to boot) when compared to the fluff supporting the 50+ Theory...

---

Tau live to be 50 Theory

Tau Codex - Aun'shi being "Old for a Tau" at ~40
Tau Codex - Farsight's Age Uniqueness/Oddity

Tau live to be much older than 50 Theory

Tau Empire Codex - Shadowsun a student of Puretide Entry
Tau Empire Codex - Brightsword being present in both Farsight's Cadre (~740.M41) and the First Nimbosa Annexation (~992.M41)
Tau Empire Codex - Aun'va the Old, being behind "much of Tau history"
Star of Damocles - Farsight, Shadowsun, and Puretide physically present together during the Damocles Gulf Crusade

---

Can't we just finally say that the Tau have figured out a way, through their advanced medical research, to indefinitely extend one's life past the "normal" 50-ish, and unofficially ret-con it? :

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash113
BFG fluff dates from what I remember placed the overhaul of the Tau fleet from the bulky, sectionated and almost box car like ships they used in most of their early expansions to the sleek predatory ships of the 3rd sphere expansions as being more than a little after the Damocles Gulf Crusade.
I thought the Forgeworld ships were the early Tau spacecraft and the GW ships were the later ones?

It makes good practical sense as well. The Tau started out with the idealistic/aesthetic notion of sleek, graceful spacecraft and they quickly realised that if they were to be successful as a spacefaring race, they couldn't spend so much time building individual ships... so they moved to a more practical, modular design that would allow them to get more tonnage into space in a sorter amount of time.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Can't we just finally say that the Tau have figured out a way, through their advanced medical research, to indefinitely extend one's life past the "normal" 50-ish, and unofficially ret-con it? :
I think that's pretty much the only option, If don't want to invalidate large amounts of fluff.
We can't say it's like the imeprium either, as there only the rich/powerful can get juvenat treatments. The Tau are all technically equals, so how the juvenat treatments are handled could be an interesting issue.

First Priority goes to the Ethereals. (Surely the ruling caste must live longer, to give the impression that they are ever-present, etc)

Second priority probably goes to those that have served the empire long and well, and wish to continue doing so.

Third Priority is those that have served to the best of their ability, and may still be of use to the Empire if they live longer.

Fourth, and final, priority is to those that wish to extended their lives such that they may make a meaningful contribution to the Empire. (A good example might be an Earth-caste scientist that has set up a long-term experiment, probably several decades in length, and wishes to observe and confirm the results)

NB: Some Tau would wish to have a 'natural' lifespan as an ideological choice, and thus would refuse the juvenat treatments. The other Tau would respect their wishes, even if they disagreed on some level.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote