Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Project Tau- Article 3
Old 15 Oct 2007, 17:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Project Tau- Article 3

Hey guys- so i just had a hard drive crash (doom) which lost me Article 3, however i'm going to devote the next 24 hours to get it back- so, sorry that it's taking so long but soon you'll have the run down on Tau biology and Alien races.

I'll post it here ___

~good hunting
Old 16 Oct 2007, 22:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Project Tau- Article 3

And here it is- tell me what you think

http://www.savefile.com/files/1127353
Old 16 Oct 2007, 23:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tau Project Article Three
The Aun have no physical difference from the Por save for a diamond shaped bone ridge at
the apex of their nasal slits. Although it is suspected that they have some pheromone based
power- there is no evidence to prove anything.
I think this is a little biased, actually.

The Ethereals do exude pheromones from the diamond-shaped organ on their foreheads, it's the measure of power those pheromones have over the Elemental Castes that is debatable.

Xenology already proved the diamond-shaped ridge of bone emitted such pheromones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenology
Unknown 'diamond-organ', in the forehead of the Tau Ethereal. Ridged carapace contains ultradense chemo/hormonal fluids (overpowering scent). Rear ganglia connects to cerebral love. Polyp-structures vaguely reminiscent of 'pheromone' glands amongst Terran invertebrates (cf. silk worm). (Spec: Perhaps a pheremonal communication system? The sensitivity of Tau olfactory senses would certainly support a process of airborne chemical 'signifiers'. Perhaps the Ethereal asserts a measure of control over lesser castes? Results are inconclusive, and the purpose of this organ remains unknown.)
Again, the Magos Biologis plainly stated the diamond-organ was used to emit overpowering chemical/pheromonal scents into the air, and the Tau do have a rich pheromonal language plainly stated in Fire Warrior. It's the amount of control over the lesser Castes the Ethereal has, that is the true unknown...

Just wanted to clarify that.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:07   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

you know- i've looked at several sources and its such such a broad topic i figured stating that it's inconclusive was the best thing to do- you have your views, everyone has theirs...
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

Uh... Did you even read my post?

Nowhere did I state an opinion.

The fact that Ethereals emit pheromones and that Tau have a rich pheromonal language is a fact.

The measure and amount of control said Ethereal pheromones have is the opinion, since there is little in the realm of evidence.

Your statement; "Although it is suspected that they have some pheromone based power - there is no evidence to prove anything" is misleading, making it sound like the Ethereals emitting pheromones at all is inconclusive, which is simply not true.

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

Doombringer

Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

your blowing up too fast-

some people on this site think the diamond ridge is a daemon- i didn't want to put anything down as fact. in the article it discusses Tau pheromones- but does that mean they can be controlled by them? i don't know, and nobody else does.
Old 17 Oct 2007, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm hardly blowing up, Calmsword. Believe me, I'm a Marine - this is my calm voice.

Regardless of what people think the diamond-ridge is, Xenology puts it out plain as day in the quote I provided, that the diamond-ridge is a bone-like organ that contains ultradense chemo/hormonal fluids and exudes an overpowering pheromonal scent.

I don't care if you leave out that the dreamscent's power is debatable - I agree with you there.

I do, however, wish that you'd at least put the canonized facts in your articles, especially one on Biology of all things, that the Ethereal's diamond organ serves as a pheromone-release organ.

If not, you might as well be calling it "Project New Race Calmsword is Making Up - Article Three", because they certainly wouldn't be Games Workshop's published Tau...

Doombringer

Old 17 Oct 2007, 04:23   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

well, i'm glad the calm voiced doobringer has such a powerful sense of sarcasm- tell you what- why don't you wip out your copy of xenology and just PM me the exact paragraph and then i can insert it into the project-

wow- holy crap- helping out instead of clogging up the board :
don't you think that could have been so much more constructive instead of this alternative? your a marine, i'm sure you understand the importance of 'team work.'
Old 17 Oct 2007, 06:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmsword
tell you what- why don't you wip out your copy of xenology and just PM me the exact paragraph and then i can insert it into the project-
Sure buddy, here it is... For the second time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenology
Unknown 'diamond-organ', in the forehead of the Tau Ethereal. Ridged carapace contains ultradense chemo/hormonal fluids (overpowering scent). Rear ganglia connects to cerebral lobe. Polyp-structures vaguely reminiscent of 'pheromone' glands amongst Terran invertebrates (cf. silk worm). (Spec: Perhaps a pheremonal communication system? The sensitivity of Tau olfactory senses would certainly support a process of airborne chemical 'signifiers'. Perhaps the Ethereal asserts a measure of control over lesser castes? Results are inconclusive, and the purpose of this organ remains unknown.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmsword
wow- holy crap- helping out instead of clogging up the board
don't you think that could have been so much more constructive instead of this alternative? your a marine, i'm sure you understand the importance of 'team work.'
Don't even start with me, Calmsword. My very first reply to this topic contained the exact quote you're requesting, and contained zero hostility whatsoever. Don't try to play the role of peacekeeper if you refuse to accept my first, peaceful attempt to correct you.

I must have been correct in my presumption that you did indeed forget or neglect to read my above post(s) in its entirety. How could you have possibly missed the giant quote box from Xenology that I've already given you?

How about instead of sarcasm or insults to my intelligence and/or organization, you simply take a little more time out of your busy day to read my posts in their entirety and not just jump to conclusions that I'm spreading around pro-mind-control propaganda?

You're only making yourself look that much worse.

Doombringer

Old 17 Oct 2007, 07:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Enough, don't make me have to take action on this, I'd rather not.

Now as to pheromones it's inconclusive, xenology wasn't specific as to the role of any such pheromones or whether other Tau had a similar mechanism and it simply wasn't as pronounced as that of the Etherials, calmswords mention of the glands was diplomatic as there has been no difinitive say either way as to whether the pheromone glands have any importance or are unique in the race, as I said maybe the other Tau castes have a lesser such pheromonal organ that is just not as sophisticated. Either way there is no need to get huffy about it, and by that I mean both of you.

Anyway overall a very nice article calmsword, as ever you fail to dissapoint, have a cookie +1!

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote