Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Multiple Shield drones - Useful?
Old 15 Oct 2007, 16:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Location: That place where, stereotypically, we all drink tea and wear top hats.
Default Multiple Shield drones - Useful?

One of the things I often see mentioned on this board, especially in topics regarding broadsides, is to kit out a team of three with a pair of shield drones. While this does make sense, in that you would want to give these units as much protection as possible, what puzzles me is how multiple drones are better than a single drone. From what I (probably incorrectly) interpreted from the rules on invulnerable saves, you may only get one save per unit. If that were correct, extra drones would only be useful as backup in case the other is blown up, which strikes me as something of a waste.

In addition, as the codex glances over shield drones very briefly, it neglects to mention how they confer a 4+ invulnerability save to the unit they are attached to. Is it just given to the whole unit when they join, like when certain HQ units confer bonuses upon any squad they become a part of, or is it something completely different?

Yes, I am aware that the above probably has a very obvious answer, but I'm a relative noob regarding the gameplay mechanics of 40k, so cut me some slack. :P
92% of forum users have signatures which explain how they are part of an 8% minority. If you are part of the 8% that don't, copy and paste this into your signature, and duck when the paradoxial nature of this action causes a rip in the space-time continuum.

Quote:
+++Your avatar is my worst nightmare.+++
Sven the Kaiser of Krieg, On my avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargamer
The Orkoid understanding of Force Field technology is staggering. The Imperium is a long way behind, and the Tau are, by comparisson, jumping up and down screaming "Witch! Witch!".
Askaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 16:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Multiple Shield drones - Useful?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askaris
One of the things I often see mentioned on this board, especially in topics regarding broadsides, is to kit out a team of three with a pair of shield drones. While this does make sense, in that you would want to give these units as much protection as possible, what puzzles me is how multiple drones are better than a single drone. From what I (probably incorrectly) interpreted from the rules on invulnerable saves, you may only get one save per unit. If that were correct, extra drones would only be useful as backup in case the other is blown up, which strikes me as something of a waste.

In addition, as the codex glances over shield drones very briefly, it neglects to mention how they confer a 4+ invulnerability save to the unit they are attached to. Is it just given to the whole unit when they join, like when certain HQ units confer bonuses upon any squad they become a part of, or is it something completely different?

Yes, I am aware that the above probably has a very obvious answer, but I'm a relative noob regarding the gameplay mechanics of 40k, so cut me some slack. :P
Of course you may take more than one inv. save per turn.

And then: Shield drones have the same T nd armor save as the unit they accompany. Thus you can alocate his to the unit to these drones without restrictions.

I will not go into the details,but read the big book again... especially the rules for allocating wounds, taking saves and then just for the informative benefit the rules for mixed armor and toughness.

Greetz, Trogdor

[WHFB] Dwarfs
9 victorious slaughters/ 7wins/ 5 draws/ 7 losses

[WH40k] Tau
17victorious slaughters/ 10wins/ 2draw/ 1 loss
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 19:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

Taking more than one SD is definitely NOT a waste. You can in fact take multiple Inv Saves to a unit; you apply wounds like normal how you wish (unless under "Torrent of Fire"--> very important), than make saves. If your opponent inflicts more AP wounds than you have Inv saves, than something WILL take wound, because each model can only make one save at a time, but this is why I take 4 SD's: so that, when the Death Star Lascannon Dev squad shoots my Broadsides' way, I can take all four potential Lascannon shots on my SD's provided I have all 4, and than make the Inv saves. Hopefully by the next turn I will have taken out his Dev's though, because if not, he will have likely killed half the SD's, which means if I don't kill 2 of his Lascannons, than that means two of my Broadsides will take wounds, and will either make cover saves if they can, or else two are instakilled (Lascannon is S9, Broadsides are T4; since the Lascannon is double or more the opponent's toughness, it is killed outright if there is no save, which in this case there isn't because the Lascannon is AP2).

Hope that helps.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 23:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
From what I (probably incorrectly) interpreted from the rules on invulnerable saves, you may only get one save per unit.
Quote:
it neglects to mention how they confer a 4+ invulnerability save to the unit they are attached to.
I'm afraid your confusion lies in your incorrect interpretation of the rules (don't worry it happens to all of us).

First, inv. saves are not taken per unit, their taken per model. If a model has an inv. save, he can use it instead of his normal save, regardless if the next guy over used it's own inv. save.

Second, the shield drone does not confer it's inv. save to the rest of the squad, it does not really offer any protection to any other model other then the fact that it can take a shot instead of the model it's protecting.

For example I have a unit of 2 BS and one SD that get hit by 1 las cannon, I can allocate the hit to the SD and regardless of if it passes or fails it's save, the BS are safe. If it does pass, then I can again use it another turn to protect my broadsides from incoming fire. If I take 2 SD instead of 1, well now that's twice as much firepower that the unit can sustain before my BS need to start taking wounds. I hope that helps clear it up.