Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

i'm goin from mech to static!
Old 15 Oct 2007, 02:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default i'm goin from mech to static!

Ok so here's the low-down, i was the 2nd Tau player in my GW and have been very succesful (as has he) and i think our success is what has been drawing in quite a few more people into the empire. We both play mech lists and have become well known for them, and people have started building lists to counter our skimmers and such. Long story short, I plan to use a static force in the next campaign and hopefully disrupt my opponents (who will bring things that will counter skimmers, which i will not be having many, if any, in my static force). So here are a few of my questions about static tau...

1) What is the most common mistake for static tau?
2) Do static tau rely on cover as much as mech tau (JSJ)?
3) Should static tau start at board edge to allow max shooting or will this just make your units run after failing leadership test?
4) A friend of mine plays nids and uses lots of raveners; how can i combat raveners as they can assault the turn they deepstrike (or so i have been told, confirmation please?)?
5) Whats your favorite aspect of this playing style?

Thanks all
cheers
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 03:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: i'm goin from mech to static!

Well I play a hybrid army but the static portions can be extrapolated for your need.

My static forces use cover to snipe out the enemy and hold positions before running forward to claim objectives. I use Broadsides and Sniper Drones to take out enemy vehicles and whittle down enemy forces respectfully. If you would use crisis suits I would go with longer ranged versions, like Deathrain and Fireknife to target incoming forces. Use them in static positions by keeping them close to your line and JSJing. To keep from assaults I use a forward Kroot unit to distract assaulter's then redeploy to shoot'em up later

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 03:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to inuyasha1162

i know nothing about tau...

but...raveners cannot deep strike and assault in the same turn
inuyasha1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 05:40   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha1162
i know nothing about tau...

but...raveners cannot deep strike and assault in the same turn
I think he meant Lichtors. I get them confused too, but Lichtors CAN assault on the turn they Deep Strike. They strike into cover, which is a particularly dirty trick. I'm glad they're expensive and that a 'Nid army only gets three of them!
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 10:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes, but don`t forget a couple of things about Lictors:

-They can`t move the turn they Deep Strike, but CAN assault.

-They have to roll for scatter, but if the scatter would take them outside of the area terrain, the are placed inside its borders.

-Apart from this, normal deep strike rules apply.

What do we learn from this?

Well, first and foremost, they can only be placed in area terrain. One possibile solution would be to stay at least 6" away from all such terrain.
Another, probably more feasible solution is to flood the nearest area terrain with Kroot. If he has no romm to place his Lictor, it is destroyed.

Especially Tau, with cheap Kroot, can put up a formidable defense against Lictors, so I wouldn`t be overly worried about them.

As for the change from Mech to Static, I`m planning something similar. Not that I want to go purely static, heaven forbids. No, I`ll include a duo of Broadsides into my army, probably supported by Kroot and (if I`m feeling lucky) Sniper Drones. This will definitely be something new, and I`m willing to try it out in my next game.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 12:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

I played a static army for a long time, but now play hybrid, but still with a heavy leaning towards static.

My 1500 pt. list is: Fireknife Shas'el, Fireknife Shas'ui, Deathrain Shas'ui, 12 FW with Shas'ui bonded in DF w/upgrades, 27 Kroot with 16 Hounds (split into two squads), 1 PF team with 3 RR and DF w/upgrades, 3 Broadsides 2 w/T-L PR and 4 SD, 2 Sniper Drone Teams.

Fireknives are either BS5 or T-L PR; along with the T-L PR of the Broadsides and their Railguns, I can clear out an entire DS Terminator squad provided I'm in Rapid Fire range. This is good. The plethora of Missile Pods also lets me bring down any offending AV10-12 vehicles with relative ease. Three Railguns also give me excellent anti-tank/Monstrous Creature firepower. Sniper Drones put holes in anything with an Armor Sv 3-4+. Pathfinders light for whoever needs it, usually the Sniper Drones or the the FW. FW provide anti-infantry power, and they're required. The massive number of Kroot are split and unless a good target presents itself for Infiltration, I wait till said deployment phase and cover any routes of attack, or just put them on my flanks, so no matter where assaulters come from they will get smacked. Hounds are important as they give I5.

The key concept here is layered, multipurpose firepower, particularly against Marines, since that is what I normally play against. With the Kroot, I still have good (though not great) firepower to deal with hordes. DF let me redeploy two of my squads; I usually place them in or beside the terrain those squads are in, since I give those DF Sensor Spines. I take 4 SD's on the Broadsides to weather heavy firepower; I'm used to opponents bringing at least 6 lascannons with them, and A.S.S. only helps on the first turn really. If I gave up a Multitracker and two SD's I could take the A.S.S., but the SD's will drop pretty quickly, not to mention early Morale tests, if I only take 2. I cannot emphasize the Kroot enough; fast assaulters are the primary threat to a static army, and if they get cover to hop around, you'll never get the chance to shoot them in the first place, which means essentially you'll have lost the game without ever firing a shot. Also, DF w/troops are important, along with the two Elite Crisis, to claim objectives, so you'll want those.

That's about all I got. I highly suggest reading the tactica that's stickied on the Tau board, that can help a lot, esp. since you're going to start playing with units you may have never played with before, or played very little, and so may not know the ins and outs of those units.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 15:50   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

I would suggest a firebase with harassment elements- Mainly some XV88s and FWs as the base with Stealth and Crisis teams to mop everyone else up.
Tau Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 21:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i was thinking about how i could counter a dark eldar player in my store, and i noticed the horrendous saves/ armor values his army has. How effective would pieplates be?

This leads me into my next problem, is it a good idea to have a HH with your firebase to provide some anti horde?
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 22:34   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Static is all about the fireBase! If you can try to built it so that your on like an island of cover with a good body of open area between you and your enemy. If can do this you have a serious advantage. Make sure you can deal with deepStriking(terminators) & transports(Dark Eldar). Tau have been range in game(30 inch pulse) and missile pods, railguns. Another thing you have to be able to deal with are ordinance weapons - infiltrating stealth or piranhas could help.
nerdHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2007, 05:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hammerheads are always a good choice and can be integrated into Static forces very well. Use them in support roles where it will provide covering fire for advancing troops and help tale out nasties. Railheads submition round is useful for horde armies and the Ion cannon is great for SMurfs. They also act as fire magnets drawing fire leaving other units unmolested which is always nice.

Crisis 541 is offline   Reply With Quote