Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I am not helping the greater good! What do I do?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 23:51   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I am not helping the greater good! What do I do?

Okay here we go: I enjoy the Tau a lot but there is one problem... I SUCK! Out of the 30 games I have played I have only won 2, it's embarassing! Me and my friends never play 1,500 pts, we always play like 600, 300, or 500 point games (when it comes to teams its like 1200, 600, or 1000 pts split evenly per team). Can you guy here at Tau Online give me some tips on how to stop sucking please? It just seems like they either outrange, overpower, out assault, and outnumber me every freaking time. So I would really appreciate it if I could get some help.
moomeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 00:05   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: I am not helping the greater good! What do I do?

Aside from the luck of the dice, at this point it's really hard to say without knowing who are your partner, foes and what your team composition is (and whether you change/alter it to try new tactics)

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 00:12   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well help is what the forum does.

However to help you we need information. What forces do you have, what tactics do you prefere, what forces do your opponents have, what tactics do they prefere? What funds do you have available? What have you tried before?

The more information you can give us the more accurate advice we can give. Other than that you can look around the forums for tacticas and you can post your list in the Army Lists board to see about getting some advice. There are some very common if not necessary upgrades for Tau and others that are pretty much useless except in very specific situations.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 01:26   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Well the friends I play with most are Imperial guard, eldar and space marines. I can do pretty well against IG because we never play with tanks but my one problem with them is he always uses so many heavy weapons teams all he does and sit back and out range me, all I have is one broadside, a battlesuit commander, and 3 sniper drones.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 01:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

So your forces literally consist of:

1 Broadside Battlesuit
1 Crisis Battlesuit
1 Spotter
3 Sniper Drones

If that is all then that is your problem. Big guns you may have but those aren't going to do, Firewarrior squads and a crisis team, maybe a Hammerhead and some Devilfish. But most importantly the Firewarriors, every Tau army is required to have at least 1 team of Firewarriors and they are a great and solid troops choice.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 01:56   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I'm sorry I didn't clarify. The units I listed arent my only units they are just the ones I have that rival the firepower of a heavy weapon team and is not a vehicle, because my friends dont like playing with vehicles.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 01:59   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

The best advice is for you and your friends to start playing legal armies, at a point levels around 1,500. The game is not balanced for what you are doing to be fair.

But against things like Devastators or Eldar/Imperial Guard weapons teams, just use Crisis suits. Most armies can not move and shoot with their more powerful weapons unless they put them on vehicles. Just jump out, shoot them up, and then jump back out of sight. Never give your opponent a chance to fire at you. Then his range is irrelevant.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 02:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Damian_Alpha

Right, and while we're at it I refuse to play against anything with WS4+ : .

Do they seriously REFUSE to play with vehicles? If so, that's bull. Vehicles are the ONLY significantly mobile weapons platforms the tau have (and given how few of them they can field, they have to be mobile or else). Firewarriors don't get heavy weapons, so unless you're running all kroot you are screwed on trying to get your troops in range.

Do you own any of the Tau vehicles? If so, demand to play them next game. Don't take any lip from your opponent; if he want's to feild 10+ heavy bolters, let him do so in the way that the game was meant to, where it means that many less anti-tank weapons. Anything else is them being pissants who should be properly krootox-socked. >
"I have exactly one-hundred men under my command counting on ME to lead that charge, you two-bit mechanic. I have five seige tanks, eight APC's, an artillery platform and a light mech that need resupply and repair by dusk. I need remote mines set, trenches dug, and my men fed and rested, or those Marines are going to be using us for toothpicks. Get it done, Fio'vre." Officer Sherwin Jackson, 13th Dal'yth Company, to Fio'vre D'nan

"Feed well, my Bretheren. You are what you eat, and we have devoured the mighty." Master Shaper Korl Muur
Damian_Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Oct 2007, 02:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Let's go back to basics here.. moomeyer, it would be very helpful if you post up the exact army list that you've been using, and all the models you have in your collection.

Part of playing well is to firstly build up a good, balanced army list, probably more important than knowing what your opponent has in their army list. So to do this we'll need to know what you have and how you use it, otherwise we won't be able to help much.

Also, you really should be playing legal games. That is, 400 Points Combat Patrol, or 500 points minimum. It's just way too unbalanced below that.
Old 15 Oct 2007, 02:57   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Okay I have:

20 firewarriors
6 pathfinders
3 stealth suits
1 hammerhead
1 devilfish
16 kroot
6 vespids
3 sniper drones
1 broadside
1 battlesuit commander
And Finally I am trying how to come up with fair rules for my converted ion cannon mobile weapon support platform.