Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadside support systems
View Poll Results: How do you equip your broadsides?
Advanced Stabilization System 26 54.17%
Multi-tracker and Plasma Rifles 3 6.25%
shield drones 4 8.33%
depends on the mood I'm in 7 14.58%
something else 8 16.67%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Oct 2007, 03:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Broadside support systems

I'm wondering what's the most popular way to outfit a broadside team. Advanced Stabilization Systems with Smart Missiles are the obvious choice, but Plasma Rifle and Multi-tracker would also work. I've also had good luck with A.S.S on everybody and the Plasma Rifle / Multitracker (hardwired) combo on the leader. Or, if you really want to keep them alive and have points to burn, how about shield drones for everybody?

knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler
Default Re: Broadside support systems

Everyone seems to think A.S.S. is the absolute only way to go with broadsides, but it doesn't make much sense to me really. If you want mobility get a damn hammerhead, broadsides are a static element and are probably best kept that way. I planned on loading mine out with shield drones, six altogether for the team, so they can sit behind cover and pick off targets safely.

But right now I can't really make up my mind, don't want to waste points by using a unit "wrong", so...I have A.S.S. and drone controllers on them. Heh. Although it's not really A.S.S., it's just a drone bit I used to try and beef up the legs better.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 07:52   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to UltraMagnus Send a message via MSN to UltraMagnus Send a message via Yahoo to UltraMagnus

get some A.S.S (these filters are annoying!)

mobility is incredibly useful, seriously, who else can field 3 twin linked str 10 guns in a single squad, AND move (all be it slightly restricted movement) and fire with them.

although, i do personally favour giving my team leader a HWDC with two shield drones and HWMT
Old 13 Oct 2007, 08:11   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I gave mine a targetting array
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 09:45   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to UltraMagnus Send a message via MSN to UltraMagnus Send a message via Yahoo to UltraMagnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
why? targeting arrays are a waste of points on something with twin linked weapons
Old 13 Oct 2007, 10:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

No not really... its saved me on more than one occasion where I would've missed if I didn't have it. I usually play on a sand terrain board where cover is scarce, if I played on a forest board with alot of cover behind trees then I would give it an A.S.S
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 11:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

If I take broadsides I want them to be able to hit without fail, might be something important that would change a game
Mine has a TA, Plasma Rifles, HWMT, HWDC, A shield drone and a marker drone (I know its a complete waste of points but who doesnt like BS5 Twinlinked Railguns?)
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 11:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I run my broadside with A.S.S and, if I have the points, a shield drone or two. The A.S.S is always worth it for the look on my opponents face. When I deploy my broadside behind LOS blocking cover it makes him think its a good idea to subsequently deploy his prize tank(s) out of cover and ready to paste everything on the board. Then comes my turn, I move the broadside out of cover and with the help of some conveniently placed markerlights blow his tank from the face of the earth, waving off feeble protests about movement and heavy weapons. ;D

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagnus
get some A.S.S
Yup, everyone needs to get some A.S.S
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 11:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMagnus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendak
why? targeting arrays are a waste of points on something with twin linked weapons
I thought so, too, but there is a VAST difference between hitting 3/4 times and hitting 8/9 times. I run all of my TL-weapon Crisis with TA`s, and Im very satisifed. And if you want your multi-shot Deathrains to hit as often as possible, then why not also your one-shot Broadsides?

But an upgrade which is invaluable to EVERY Broadside unit is, imo, at least one Drone Controller with a pair of Shield Drones. Lonely `Sides are easily killed off by stray Lascannon shots, and they`re just too valuable to risk this way. The best way to counter this is probably to give the Teamleader a hardwired DC, und use the free hardpoint for something else (the TA, in my case). But as Vendak pointed out, this depends on your gaming style and the metagame (i.e. what terrain you usually use).

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 12:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I take the advanced stabilization system almost every time now. However before the current codex came out I always took the shield generator. A 2+/4++ save is hard to take down, especially if you can keep them about 38" away from the nearest enemy unit. Basically if you can keep them at a decent distance you don't have to worry about too much fire (even a 2+ save will fail every once in a while, by reducing the amount of fire capable of touching your unit...)