Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battlesuits......
Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:36   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau
Default Battlesuits......

I was just thinking to myself that my friends tyranid warriors can out perform my battlesuits in ranged combat due to the fact that my xv8s can only have 1 upgrade where as the tyranid warrior, if I'm correct can have as many as the player wants! To me this is ridiculous as the tau are renowned for lots of upgrades and only allowing battlesuits to have 1 baffles me ??? ??? any comments................................
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:46   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Battlesuits......

What do you meant by only 1 upgrade? I'm not sure I follow you.

Your Crisis suit have 3 hardpoints (meaning 3 weapons and/or system) and if you take the team leader/shas'vre upgrate you can take extra gear up to 100 points worth.

Same for the broadside their 3 hardpoints are the TL-railgun, SMS(or plasma rifles) and 1 more of the players choice. If you upgrade him to team leader/shas'vre...again extra gear up to 100 points worth.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

In a one on one fight, with moderate terrain. Id pick the xv8 every time. Using a fireknife set up, thats 3 shots that are all likely to wound. jsj means no return volley.
This is a standard xv8 when you want to change it to a team leader with hardwired gear you can really pour on the performance.

I play a nid player on occasion, and his warriors have yet to make it to turn 4 with out getting ganked by deathrains and fireknifes. To date hes only wounded one of my suits with his warriors, ( its the dam gaunt packs that eventually get ya. dam with out numbers rule.
Kelsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:58   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau

Well, up to 2 upgrades then but it still dosent make my battlesuits a match for my freinds pumped up nid warriors with about 4+ upgrades. It would be great if ALL xv8s were given the option to take hardwired wargear not just the team leader...

My freinds warriors stats are much better than my battlesuits (apart from the save) and in a squad of nine they obliterate my battlesuits.
By the way my xv8s have FB,MP and TA my team leader also having multitraker and target lock (hardwired)

Only 1 upgrade also means that with a targeting array xv8s can only shoot 1 weapon so they might as well be given only 2 hardpoint . If you catch my meaning
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 20:05   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauEmpire rule so do eldar
I was just thinking to myself that my friends tyranid warriors can out perform my battlesuits in ranged combat due to the fact that my xv8s can only have 1 upgrade where as the tyranid warrior, if I'm correct can have as many as the player wants!
This is true, but even a unit of 9 Tyranid Warriors should not be a problem because of two things: Crisis Weapons Range and JSJ. The only thing that Warriors can carry that will contend for range is a Venom Cannon, and they can only take one per unit. As a Tyranid player, there is something I rage against when facing Tau - Missile Pods. The range is huge, the AP negates even an upgraded save, wounds on 2+, and so on.

I would recommend some of the following to deal with the Tyranid Warrior threat:

- 1 unit of 3 Deathrains - TL MP will cause an average of 4 wounds per turn against them - that will take them down quicker than you think.

- Hammerhead firing submunition. A unit of 9 Warriors will take at least 3-4 hits from this, also negating armour save and wounding on 2+.

- FoF - volume of fire will go great lengths against a unit like this. A 4+ save is still not that great and you will see them go down in no time if they take enough wounds. A unit this large needs, statistically, 36 wounds to take down. Most any Tau army should be able to achieve this even over 2 turns. The benefit is that a 9 Warrior unit is probably acting like a Synapse anchor and, when taken down, will result in serious problems for the Tyranid player.

Remember, since you can't insta-kill the Warriors, don't use str. 8+ guns that would be better used against TMC. I would also recommend switching out the FB on your suits. When coupling weapons, I try to match ranges as much as possible. This will allow you a greater chance of outmaneuvering these threats.

Hope this helps.
77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 20:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauEmpire rule so do eldar
Well, up to 2 upgrades then but it still dosent make my battlesuits a match for my freinds pumped up nid warriors with about 4+ upgrades. It would be great if ALL xv8s were given the option to take hardwired wargear not just the team leader...

My freinds warriors stats are much better than my battlesuits (apart from the save) and in a squad of nine they obliterate my battlesuits.
By the way my xv8s have FB,MP and TA my team leader also having multitraker and target lock (hardwired)

Only 1 upgrade also means that with a targeting array xv8s can only shoot 1 weapon so they might as well be given only 2 hardpoint . If you catch my meaning
I hate debates like this.

Alright, first of all: Stop comparing individual units. They are a part of a bigger whole, namely the complete army.

But even IF you compare Crisis with Tyranids Warriors, the Crisis are way better. Yes, Nids CAN upgrade their warriors to no end, but all/most of these things are CC oriented. For ranged combat, you only need a single upgrade - better accuracy. And we don`t just have ONE, but TWO possible upgrades that make our Crisis more accurate: TL-ing and TAs. What more do you want? Higher STR? Higher I? What for? CC? :

Now, if we look at our Crisis Suits more closely - we have JSJ, which means Nid warriors have no LoS most of the time - so we can negate their ranged attacks. Furthermore, with the probably most widespread Crisis weapon, the Missile Pod, we can kill off warriors like there`s no tomorrow, thanks to AP4. So why are you complaining? 3 Deathrain Crisis with TA`s should kill two Nid warriors every turn (neglecting possible cover saves). Even with wings, warriors need at least 2-3 turns to get into CC with your Crisis, so you should be able to kill 4-6 of them - and this doesn`t factor in the rest of your army.

Why they can "only" have either BS4 or fire two weapons at the same time was discussed at length in other threads (in a nutshell: you can either have loads of Dakka, or accuracy, but not both), and I won`t repeat it here, but don`t forget that Crisis suits are not the main fighting units in a Tau army. They are there to plug gaps in your defense, to deal with troops the rest of your army has problems with (TEQ, MEQ, light vehicles), whereas the Nid warriors could be cosidered "mainstay" units(this is also the reason for their bigger unit sizes).

Besides, killing Nid Warriors is more rewarding than killing Crisis - if a Crisis team is dead, the Tau player lost firepower. If a Nid Warrior team is dead, the Nid player might lose synapse, which is drastically worse.

So, quit complaining. Yes, at first glance, warriors are cheaper and easier customisable than Crisis Suits. But don`t forget that all these upgrades are expensive; and a fully kitted out warrior could easily cost about as much as one of our Deathrains - and I know what I`d prefer...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote