Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default sniper drone teams??

as the title suggests are they any gd??
Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:39   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to Eddy4Tau
Default Re: sniper drone teams??

they're ok but If I were you id spend the money on some broadsides (if you don't have any)
Eddy4Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

I would say yes. You have the bonus of the marklight, 3 rail rifles (so a 36" range), stealth field generator and pinning. The drawbacks are they can't move and shoot (weapon is heavy IIRC), and if the spotter dies they are all gone.

If you want them, I would say buy 1 team and try it (or proxy them with gundrones if you play games with friends), if you enjoy them, like me, get the full 3 teams (more efficient)

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 20:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I`d say "depends".

It depends if you meet a lot of infantry Marine armies.

It depends if you have enough anti-armor weaponry elsewhere (i.e. a bunch of 3 Broadsides, or Piranhas).

It depends whether you want to stay 100% mobile, or not.

A couple of months ago, I thought they were useless. But right now, I start to explore their possibilities. I fielded a unit of them in a CP-game, and they were quite effective. Combining them with Kroot and/or Broadsides could prove to be quite effective, and couple with Stealths nearby (which maybe use the MLs of the Drone Controller to boost their performance) could prove very valuable.

But I have mittle practical experience yet, so I can only give you a "piece of my mind", so to speak.

I`d suggest you use them in a couple of games (I used Pathfinders with Sniper Rifles to represent them, looks great). I guess they`re not for everyone and every playstyle, but they are worth trying.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 Oct 2007, 21:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauEmpire rule so do eldar
they're ok but If I were you id spend the money on some broadsides (if you don't have any)
my missus allready bought me them today lol,i dont but i will nxt week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
I would say yes. You have the bonus of the marklight, 3 rail rifles (so a 36" range), stealth field generator and pinning. The drawbacks are they can't move and shoot (weapon is heavy IIRC), and if the spotter dies they are all gone.

If you want them, I would say buy 1 team and try it (or proxy them with gundrones if you play games with friends), if you enjoy them, like me, get the full 3 teams (more efficient)

cool,thats ok i can handle that,will give them a try nt week when my nt game is

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
I`d say "depends".

It depends if you meet a lot of infantry Marine armies.

It depends if you have enough anti-armor weaponry elsewhere (i.e. a bunch of 3 Broadsides, or Piranhas).

It depends whether you want to stay 100% mobile, or not.

A couple of months ago, I thought they were useless. But right now, I start to explore their possibilities. I fielded a unit of them in a CP-game, and they were quite effective. Combining them with Kroot and/or Broadsides could prove to be quite effective, and couple with Stealths nearby (which maybe use the MLs of the Drone Controller to boost their performance) could prove very valuable.

But I have mittle practical experience yet, so I can only give you a "piece of my mind", so to speak.

I`d suggest you use them in a couple of games (I used Pathfinders with Sniper Rifles to represent them, looks great). I guess they`re not for everyone and every playstyle, but they are worth trying.

Cheers,
-Bone

cool ill keep these inmin bud thanks for replying
Old 12 Oct 2007, 22:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sniper Drones are excellent units though I highly recommend running at least 2 squads if you use them and a full 3 is even better.

The reason is that you can cover multiple fire lanes with one FOC slot and also this helps saturate your opponent with targets.

They are great for firebase building as they don't require cover to survive since they can get by with their long range+stealth field.

Also the Rail rilfles are murder vs. marines but even against GEQ the pinning can be a boon when you split fire against multiple targets using their target locks.

Enjoy!
Old 12 Oct 2007, 23:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by israfel420
Sniper Drones are excellent units though I highly recommend running at least 2 squads if you use them and a full 3 is even better.

The reason is that you can cover multiple fire lanes with one FOC slot and also this helps saturate your opponent with targets.

They are great for firebase building as they don't require cover to survive since they can get by with their long range+stealth field.

Also the Rail rilfles are murder vs. marines but even against GEQ the pinning can be a boon when you split fire against multiple targets using their target locks.

Enjoy!
if i find them usefull ill max em out but till then i will stick with the one as the models for them are quite expensive
Old 13 Oct 2007, 04:25   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've used them a couple of times with decent results. They're slightly cheaper than their equivalent pathfinders, depending on how you work the numbers; they're stealthed; and their markerlight is networked. They're a very static unit, though, so if you value mobility you won't like them. The long-range pinning is nice if you're playing against a force that can actually be pinned, but I don't find pinning very useful against most forces.

With relatively few shots per team and a mediocre BS I find that too much relies on the markerlight hitting, so they really need another markerlight from somewhere to be effective.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Oct 2007, 06:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
I've used them a couple of times with decent results. They're slightly cheaper than their equivalent pathfinders, depending on how you work the numbers; they're stealthed; and their markerlight is networked. They're a very static unit, though, so if you value mobility you won't like them. The long-range pinning is nice if you're playing against a force that can actually be pinned, but I don't find pinning very useful against most forces.

With relatively few shots per team and a mediocre BS I find that too much relies on the markerlight hitting, so they really need another markerlight from somewhere to be effective.
cool cheers bud,im no too fussed at the moment about mobility as im just starting out with them and want to find out wats best suited for me,yeah ill have a couple of markerlights too use
Old 13 Oct 2007, 08:12   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It all depends on how you play and what game your playing
Vendak is offline   Reply With Quote