Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

how many have played tau in a city fight and how did it go?
Closed Thread
Old 21 Mar 2005, 11:40   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default how many have played tau in a city fight and how did it go?

so how was your tau forces in a tight environment like a city scape and such..knowing buildings or structures negate LOS or long range firepower and history shows that it is often down and dirty. what is your tactica in a street fight? How does our mech tau brothers do it? thanks for any reply
Old 21 Mar 2005, 12:20   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: how many have played tau in a city fight and how did it go?

I played a cityfight once against an Ultramarines army when I was not so
experienced with the army and got owned.

I think that you'll do fine, just as long as you keep out of assault range, and
set up various firetraps and lanes for your heavier weapons. More crisis suits
with multi-trackers can provide a mobile firebase to set up traps between
buildings and at intersections.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 13:49   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

One of my first games with Tau was Cityfight under 3rd Ed, against an Imperial Guard force. Outnumbered and with my Kroot badly positioned in the beginning-game, I nevertheless managed to draw a crushing victory, which was surprising. (Especially to me!)

The Kroot, even badly placed (didn't fire a shot for most of the game), held a bunker in one corner of the table, preserving their strength until the IG Command Squad and Commisar wandered (eventually) into range. Their fire left something to be desired, and in the charge, the IG managed to drive the Kroot back.

That was his ONLY spot of good fortune.

The rest was a turkey shoot: Two teams of Fire Warriors (one on foot, one mounted) hammered both ends of the IG force with repeated applications of firepower. Gun Drones and Crisis suits managed to make a presentable showing, pinning a large mass of troops in a wrecked cathedral-style structure, but barely produced any good kills. (The Crisis Commander and suits all had Plasma/Burst/Multi combo, and weren't nearly as effective as they could have been, thanks to cover saves).

The Hammerhead, on the other hand, completely stole the show. After two rounds of solid fire, killing a Leman Russ and a Hellhound in successive turns, the Hammer proceeded to risk difficult terrain by flying across the city to find a better lane of fire, apart from the advancing (struggling) Crisis suits and Drones. The tank landed on top of a nearby building (passing the last risky Terrain test), and proceeded to drop submunitions and twin Burst cannon fire on the Imperial Platoon for the next several turns. Though cover saves helped the IG survive (and their autocannon and meltagun fire eventually immobilized the Hammerhead), the HH completely and utterly gutted the force with barely a spattering of return fire. Without their main anti-tank armaments (the Leman's Las cannon), the IG simply could not score enough effective attacks on the tank itself.

The result? A Smashing Success!

And probably a little bit of good luck, too.... Three rounds of sustained IG heavy weapons' fire! Praise the Aun for Imperial Marksmanship Training!
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:17   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

I went against Tau in Cityfight... I had a Mortar Squad and a Griffon, both annihilated vast numbers of Tau units, whilst the Shas'El and bodyguard were wiped out instantly when I charged them as they tried to cross the street and I charged them with 45 Guardsmen (all within 6! Over 90 attacks!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 21 Mar 2005, 14:30   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Ahh City Fight - I love City Fight Especially with the Tau.

For me, I take Volume Tau for City Fights, which is contrary to my normal Penetration Tau (I prefer low AP all around to just make sure my shots work in standard games).
This means, I don't take a slew of Crisis suits. Instead, I take Stealth Suits and Gundrones in their place. I take a lot of Firewrarriors and even more Kroot. I take my 2 Hammerheads as normal as well along with a Fish for one of the Firewarrior squads. I do take a commander, instead of the Ethereal, but I keep him as the Shas'el and keep him solo and I take only one other Crisis suit with twin-linked missile pods (dedicated armor hunter, for transports, not big tanks).

Kroot are the underdog in city fight. They're cheap, have good guns, good combat ability, and 4+ cover saves. In large amounts, they literally fill a building and can swarm even the big combat boys. Infiltration of course is also a blessing. I favor Kroot over even the Firewarrior in City Fight.

My Firewarriors generally hoof it down the street followed by a Hammerhead and my Commander. The moment I get close enough for an enemy to draw line of sight on me, I just enter the buildings on my flanks and continue from there. My hammerheads stays there though as it's out for blood (it hunts the heavy armor fast, then just switches to submunition and smart missiles for the most volume possible with good range).

For me the bigger winner are the XV15's. Hard to see them, hard to hit them with templates, hard to kill them and they move fast enough to keep up with everyone, dodge allies with ease hopping onto buildings and they have volume firepower. XV15's opening fire, backed up by Kroot are just little king's of the mountain.

For me (just for kicks, you'd see something like this in a 1500 City Fight on my end)

HQ - Commander Shas'el; Fireknife (solo)
Elite - Shas'ui XV8; Twinlinked Missile Pods; Flamer
Elite - Shas'ui XV15 x 6
Elite - Shas'ui XV15 x 6
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui
Troop - Kroot x 20
Troop - Kroot x 20
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Target Lock; Decoy Launchers
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Target Lock; Decoy Launchers

All I can say is, volume. Templates don't do numbers on volume in City Fight (thank goodness!). And I keep my fast units together generally, and just move off fast. My foot squads perform sweeps, right down the middle, or off to a side, but near the middle. I fare very well in City Fight mind you, but this is my style of play for City Fight and may not work for everyone else.

Hope that gives you a little insight and good luck to you in your City Fights!
Old 21 Mar 2005, 15:12   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

i owned with stealth suits and HHs
Old 21 Mar 2005, 15:34   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Our ability to navigate easily in heavy terrain gives us a significant advantage over just about any other army save Tyranids and Eldar (Dark and Craftworld).
Old 21 Mar 2005, 16:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Tau are built for City Fight! I take as many suits as I can (both Stealth and Crisis) and then load up on Seeker Missiles and Smart Missiles 'cause of the fact that they don't require LOS (and city fight it is usually pretty tough to get a good LOS)
Old 21 Mar 2005, 18:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX

HQ - Commander Shas'el; Fireknife (solo)
Elite - Shas'ui XV8; Twinlinked Missile Pods; Flamer
Elite - Shas'ui XV15 x 6
Elite - Shas'ui XV15 x 6
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launchers
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui
Troop - Kroot x 20
Troop - Kroot x 20

All I can say is, volume.* Templates don't do numbers on volume in City Fight (thank goodness!).* And I keep my fast units together generally, and just move off fast.* My foot squads perform sweeps, right down the middle, or off to a side, but near the middle.* I fare very well in City Fight mind you, but this is my style of play for City Fight and may not work for everyone else.

Hope that gives you a little insight and good luck to you in your City Fights!
that looks on first glance a VERY effective list MalVeaux. On eunit you have left out that might be of use though is pathifnders. POssibly harder to squeeze in due to points costs but with the increased amount of great cover saves then markelighting a squad of battlesuits each turn is going to help you out a great deal!
Old 21 Mar 2005, 18:45   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I dont think pathfinders is good enough for the points they take. Rather take FW shas'ui with markerlight.

Is it any good to have a broadside in city fight? Ive already repainted the bases on my FW and really going in for a city fight focused tau army.
Closed Thread