Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Broadsides keep getting clobbered
Closed Thread
Old 21 Mar 2005, 04:31   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Broadsides keep getting clobbered

Hi

I'm not sure if this is worthy of a new thread or should be put in the FAQ's but I haven't found anything in the forum about this and I'm sure it will generate a few replies

A friend of mine has a vindicar assassin and his favourite trick against me is to deepstrike her and make her kick off with my broadsides, tying them up so they can't shoot. Does anyone have an opinion on how to handle this. I'm pretty sure you can't fire on an enemy unit that is in close combat using another squad.

Thanks

p.s. I'm a total newbie to all this so forgive me if my questions sound simple
Old 21 Mar 2005, 04:44   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Broadsides keep getting clobbered

I'm pretty sure you can't move/charge after you DS, so just give your broadsides some plasma rifles (or keep 'em near some crisis suits) and blast the assassin right after he deep strikes. If he deep strikes right on top of you (or within one inch?) then he is killed automatically.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 04:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Yea you cant move or assault after deepstriking. So if your opponent has been DS and then charging you their breaking the rules. Thats not allowed. Simply let him DS then blow his head off.

Old 21 Mar 2005, 04:54   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Doesn't the vindicar have some special rule about deepstriking. Can't she attack straight away?

Thanks for the replies
Old 21 Mar 2005, 05:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

The answers are all here.

It is not a Vindicar assassin (for he is the Master Sniper at our Inquisitorial disposal). The assassin in question is the Calldius assassin. She has the ability called "Polymorphine" which means she is held in reserves and then enters play by the controller choosing ANY location and simply placing the model on the board. This is not deepstriking. She simply appears (as if she snuck into their ranks) and may move, shoot and assault if she wishes.

There is nothing you can do when a Callidus assassin strikes. She is in combat the turn she arrives and all you can do is either try to beat her there or simply run away from her and assume your unit is sacrificed and unload on her when she leaves combat.

The Callidus is a classic secret weapon to busting armies like Tau and are especially good at taking down meaty heavy support and even tanks. She has a C'tan phase blade which means she ignores both armor saves and invulnerable saves and she even slices 2D6 penetration on your vehicles. Her shooting attack is a flame template that is AP1 and is high strength but wounds based on leadership, which Tau is low on.

If you want to butcher her--throw volume attacks at her, IE: Keep a unit of Kroot near those Broadsides if this continues to happen. A small pack of Kroot will kill her with ease.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 05:29   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Ah yes. that's it.... you picked up on my deliberate mistake

That's kewl. So what you're saying is, keep a pack of kroot with the broadsides and wait untill she's finished with them, then let rip with the kroot?
Old 21 Mar 2005, 05:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Na keep the kroot around the broadsides. You can do that and maintain coherency. Then when she locked let the kroot finish her or simply move the broadsides away and unload on her when the kroot are dead. Meat shields are great.

Old 21 Mar 2005, 05:38   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

But if I keep a pack of Kroot around my Broadside's they won't be able to fire anyway will they, the kroot models are more than half the height of the Broadsides.
Old 21 Mar 2005, 05:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I think you're misunderstanding me a bit...

When I said keep Kroot near by, that is simply to counter-charge her. She should not be able to eat a couple of Broadsides in a single charge (she doesn't have enough attacks nor strength to kill them both unless she rolled perfectly on all 4 dice, which is not likely). You will probably lose a broadside. However, you can save the other XV88 and gain a nice big chunk of points by killing her in return with only a few Kroot (10 Kroot will eat her alive easily and cost nothing).

Now, as for the meat shield, blocking, model heights...

Meat shielding works, but is not reliable (they can still be shot too, burning a hole right through them--making it easy to assault anyways. So no good.
Blocking, well, keeping a tight coherency would make a ring, but why pay a lot of points just for that? It can be shot before the assassin arrives and then it's useless.
Model heights - this doesn't happen in 4th as you may think it does. There are 3 heights, smallest to largest. Size 3 is a vehicle or monstrous creature. Size 2 are everything in the Tau army (same size). Size 1 are small targets, such as Nurglings or Scarabs or Grotz. Broadsides and Kroot are the same height in the rules (not in fluff of course).
Old 21 Mar 2005, 05:51   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Keep the broadsides as seperate units if you have the slots. That should slow her down.
Closed Thread