Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

takin on 3 baneblades!
Old 08 Oct 2007, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default takin on 3 baneblades!

ok, so heres the low down. i don't think i am, but the GW members at my local GW consider me a good player and think i know how to play tau quite well (8 wins, 1 loss, 1 draw)

so to kick things off in an apocaliptic way, we are having a baneblade showing. three GW staff members there already have assembled/painted baneblades (which they got for free!!! ) and i, and another palyer, are going to play them. i do not yet know the points cost but i have a good idea on how i am going to setup my half of the list.

3 pathfinders teams
to light up the baneblades with markerlights

3 warfishes (the required ones, which will also have seekers in case thing get desperate)to hopefully get shots off from behind cover and draw attention, and fire off seekers if things get desperate

the rest in broadsides
need i say more

just thought i'd let you guys know
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 00:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Kiznti
Default Re: takin on 3 baneblades!

You might want to consider taking some deep-striking crisis suits with TL Fusion blasters. You've got the reroll opportunity with the pathfinder's fish, and the sudden arrival of a suit or two will force opponents to concentrate on them, even if they fail to kill one of the tanks.

Read the Strange Gazzet. You know you want to!
Kiznti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 01:14   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Nuke

Sounds good... just don't forget shield drones on those broadsides, as if I remember correctly, the Baneblade's main gun is pretty much a pie plate lascannon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiznti
You might want to consider taking some deep-striking crisis suits with TL Fusion blasters. You've got the reroll opportunity with the pathfinder's fish, and the sudden arrival of a suit or two will force opponents to concentrate on them, even if they fail to kill one of the tanks.
Sounds like it would work, although you'd want to be extremely careful about where you DS them because I'm not sure whether super heavies get to retain their independent targetting abilities. If they do, all they need to do is divert a hull lascannon onto the suit and they're fine (assuming it hits). I myself would probably DS my suits into an area close, yet out of LoS to the baneblade. By doing that, you can still JSJ to your heart's content while forcing the other player to either try to chase your suit or ignore it. Either way it's beneficial to you, as even when not in melta range a TL fusion (maybey with a Targetting array too?) can still cause damage and fear. If he decides to chase it, then he has to turn, and that means fewer weapons facing your lines along with a very real possibility of you seeing side armor.

"He who opens a school door, closes a prison." -Victor Hugo
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 02:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

DS-ing suits with fusion blasters seems like a good idea, and since there is no force org. chart in apocalpyse i can have each one as a monat.

but i was just randomly thinking, what about an army of shawdowsuns???? that would be fun to try!
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 03:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'd take a squadron of Hammerheads in place of some of the Broadsides - less concentration of firepower, but can be absolutely hell to kill. Six Lascannons and three Autocannons can be scary, but the Lascannons can toast Broadsides and the Autocannons will munch through Pathfinders and Devilfishes - keeping them shooting at the Hammerheads, and the Autocannons will have trouble doing damage while the Lascannons suffer from low RoF. Three Baneblade Battlecannons? Hard to peg a Skimmer with Ordinance, easy to peg infantry.

Also... hell, skip the Pathfinders. 36" range means they're dead many times over before they can light the target up.
AuinMyrrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 04:09   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Take Hammerheads, keep Broadsides in cover or with lots of Shield drowns or they will be dead first turn. I had the privilege of running a Baneblade in a maga-battle on Sunday, and I will tell you it was a cake walk running over everything that tried to take me out. One Baneblade is hard to kill, three is going to be a fight for every inch of ground gained. Take as many Skimmers as possible. Keep everything in cover and do not leave it, and if you do make sure it is out of LoS. And please do not cluster units, it becomes a easy target and sure kill. All its guns can fire separately, and if that little one next to its main battle cannon hits, it can re-role the scatter on its big shot. That is a nasty little option believe me.
Hope something there helps :-\
Old 09 Oct 2007, 06:30   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

As above, skimmers and anything in cover equipped with high-strength weapons.

Keep the skimmers moving over 6" a turn (so equip them with multi-trackers and d-pods) - so that you can only get glanced, and keep everything else in cover (although that won't help if they have a Hellhammer instead of a Baneblade).

I would think that TL-Fusion suits (probably with targetting arrays or shield generators) - or even the Rapid Insertion Force equipped with fusion blasters would be your best bet. I have no idea how you would get the stealth team in place for the Crisis Suits to arrive, but if you can get deep striking suits at the baneblade rear army, I guess you can negate some of the nastier weapons that it has (IIRC the side sponsons only have a 180 degree firing arc, and the front guns can only fire forwards obviously).
Old 09 Oct 2007, 08:01   #8 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

Tetras for mobile markerlights , 24 inch scout move and then 24 turbo boost should get them in good position to light it up. You can use them as seeker platform if you can get to rear/side of baneblade.
Now we don`t know what goddies tau get in apocalypse but from what I know HH squadrons will be quite nice. That extra ML hits should help with accuracy.
Would be nice if we get confirmation about Swordfish data sheet included or not in Apocalypse (heaviest tau tank twin rail gun, MP`s and nose mounted BC used in Epic).
http://www.paysagistedelimaginaire.c...swordfish2.jpg
http://www.paysagistedelimaginaire.c...swordfish1.jpg
As you easy to convert and would be great baneblade hunter.
In terms of DSing monat suits. I would recommend deathrains. their range makes them less dependant on scatter rolls and two S7 shots in back armour can hurt even baneblade.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 10:52   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xan
Tetras for mobile markerlights , 24 inch scout move and then 24 turbo boost should get them in good position to light it up. You can use them as seeker platform if you can get to rear/side of baneblade.
Now we don`t know what goddies tau get in apocalypse but from what I know HH squadrons will be quite nice. That extra ML hits should help with accuracy.
Would be nice if we get confirmation about Swordfish data sheet included or not in Apocalypse (heaviest tau tank twin rail gun, MP`s and nose mounted BC used in Epic).
http://www.paysagistedelimaginaire.c...swordfish2.jpg
http://www.paysagistedelimaginaire.c...swordfish1.jpg
As you easy to convert and would be great baneblade hunter.
In terms of DSing monat suits. I would recommend deathrains. their range makes them less dependant on scatter rolls and two S7 shots in back armour can hurt even baneblade.
From memory, we get four datasheets. The Armoured Interdiction Force (3+ Gunships), Rapid Insertion Force, A Great Knarloc Pack.. and one more.. I think it was the Barracuda? Nothing along the lines of a Swordfish included in the main Apocalypse book, but that doesn't rule out it being released in online or White Dwarf datasheets.
Old 09 Oct 2007, 15:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I Would Personally take 2 armoured interdiction forces with 1+brodside squads for each force. with D3+1 markerlight hits per force, you could waste 1.5-2 baneblades a turn. Or anything that happened to annoy you.
Shorelineviking is offline   Reply With Quote