Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

half empty devil fishes ?
Old 08 Oct 2007, 20:46   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default half empty devil fishes ?

A large number of lists i glance over online seem to have fishes of fury that are not fully loaded. Why is this.

When i load my fish of fury, i load it to max with 12 individuals in warfishes. most often i see fishes loaded with 8-10 firewarriors with the same number loaded into all fishes in that list. if the reduction from 12 is due to limited points availibility then a-symmetry is expected within each list. This means that limited points availibility is not the reason.

so..

is there a particular reason that fewer than 12 warriors in each fish is more points efficient that a full load?
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 21:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to trash-candle
Default Re: half empty devil fishes ?

well i've noticed this to and i suppose it may be up to the squad size and the points they cost overall but saving points is important to some people

Quote:
players like to represent this act by replacing the model for Lion el'jonson with a bowling ball, and bowling it in a straight line directly towards cypher
trash-candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 21:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Well it will depend on how many points I play with.

at 500 points I only have 8 guys so i can field some boradsides. At 750+ I will get the full 12-tau squad.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 21:16   #4 (permalink)
Xan
Shas'Saal

10 is nice for deploying when FoFing, while 12 can get troublesome.
an exceedingly small amount of redeemable features
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 21:18   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Vash113 Send a message via Yahoo to Vash113

Well personally I never fill a fish entirely, no more than 10 go into my Devilfish transports. Why? Because 10 is a perfect number to fit behind the Devilfish without forcing any to be too far to the side and open to attacks around the transport. That and even numbers are generally better than odd for purposes of morale, leadership and scoring. Filling a Devilfish gives you four more pulse shots, but it's not worth it IMO if your Firewarriors are so crowded out the back door that they can be reached in assault, that pretty much forfeits their advantage. It's easier to pull off with two transports but you can still be forced to have firewarriors out too far around the engines and too close to assault for my liking.

Vash113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 22:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

For the same reason you frequently see an army consisting of 6+ Wave Serpents with nothing but 5 Dire Avengers in each. The concept of a maxxed out AV12 Skimmer list is quite powerful, and the best way to max the quantity of Skimmers is to minimize the cost of the infantry being carried inside. In these types of lists, the 60 pts of Firewarriors exist purely to make the 120 pt Devilfish a scoring unit.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 15:11   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

reason of powerful skimmers dont apply too well to devil fishes - 7 S5 shots are good, but not great when compared to the twinlinked heavy weapons that waveserpents sport.

Vash - interesting. question: do you usually task your fishes of fury individually? or do they work in pairs? How ive been doing it is they work in pairs and when i deploy the fury, they line up corner to corner to provide a v shaped space in between them for the squishy warriors to cower in. Are there benefits to having <= 10 warriors that apply in this situation as well?
Knight Actual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 15:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Actual
reason of powerful skimmers dont apply too well to devil fishes - 7 S5 shots are good, but not great when compared to the twinlinked heavy weapons that waveserpents sport.
Sure, Eldar can do it better. That doesn't mean the idea is junk when applied to Tau.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote