Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders: To Take or Not To Take?
View Poll Results: Should I take a squad of Pathfinders with only Markerlights and Devil Fish?
Yes, They bring up BS! 20 60.61%
Not quite sure, sometimes they are usefull. 8 24.24%
Heck no! Too many points and can be squashed like a bug! 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08 Oct 2007, 00:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pathfinders: To Take or Not To Take?

Should I get Pathfinders? ??? ??? ??? ???
Old 08 Oct 2007, 00:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Pathfinders: To Take or Not To Take?

Depends on your army list, if you have sky rays or anything you would like to shoot better thany yep, i personaly dont take them because my firewarriors already have ML and i dont take skyrays
Old 08 Oct 2007, 02:25   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I was wrestling with that same question myself recently, since my Pathies get squashed pretty quickly. There used to be lots of people playing Tau in my local group, so everybody knows how dangerous the pathfinders are. I'm working on ways to screen them properly, and while I haven't figured it out yet, I still believe it's possible. They're still the cheapest form of markerlights, so they're worth the investment.

Things to try that might keep them alive longer:

Keep their devilfish and/or its drones in front to at least require a targetting test.

Keep plenty of kroot around to get in the way of assaults.

Have a sniper team or two that can pin an approaching unit. Be prepared to use most of your markerlight hits to modify the pinning check, though.

Pile them back into the devilfish if things get nasty, although you'll lose at least two rounds of marking to do this.

In a high-enough point game you can have two squads, making your opponent split his fire.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 03:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

As Sneaky Git Nurgling Lover said, depends on your army list. Questions:
  • How many points are you playing?
  • What type of army is it?
  • Do you have any other units that carry markerlights?
  • What are the units that you're thinking of using the Pathfinders with? [sup]*1[/sup]

[sup]*1[/sup] You don't just 'use' pathfinders on their own. Their markerlight hits are used by other units - so you have to identify which units you want to use - e.g. Broadsides, Crisis Suits, Fire Warriors etc.

I'm taking Pathfinders (finally!) in my 2000 point pure-mech list, although I played them that often, I feel that they could be useful in helping out my other units. At that I have 2 Hammerheads (and a Skyray), Piranha Squadron, and a few Crisis suits that I'd be using the Markerlights with.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 03:21   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Unless you have a lot of seeker platforms (piranhas, skyray) and it's a higher-point list, you probably shouldn't.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 03:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Unless you have a lot of seeker platforms (piranhas, skyray) and it's a higher-point list, you probably shouldn't.
I don't necessarily agree with that. Markerlights have more uses than seeker missile launchers.

I would recommend proxying them first and seeing how you feel about them. And remember that you can run two minimized squads in non-upgraded 'fish for just a bit more than one maximized squad in a Warfish.
I picture the Ethereal looking out the window of the Devilfish from his seat: "Hey this isn't the way to Applebee's?! Where are you guys taking...Aw man, a battle?! Aw, you guys are total dicks, I swear! I'm still wearing my bathrobe! Can I at least have a gun? What do you mean you don't have any extra? What should I do, hit Khorne Berzerkers with my symbol of office? Man, you're gonna be sorry if I die... dicks."
Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 06:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Well yeah, but seeker launching is arguably the most "useful" of their perks, and the extra BS. I've never heard of anyone using them for anything else.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 03:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Well yeah, but seeker launching is arguably the most "useful" of their perks, and the extra BS. I've never heard of anyone using them for anything else.
Seekers are nice, but I'd rather spend the points on some more broadsides or a railhead. Pathfinders are basically non-firing units, so they don't do any damage by themselves. Seekers are nice, but 10 points a shot is expensive, although the skyray isn't bad point-wise. With about 200 points for a (full) squad of pathfinders and 10 points per one-shot missile you can easily end up with too few units that actually shoot.

I love having a squad of pathfinders around, but I have to resist the temptation to soup up their devilfish. At 2000 points I can field a 2nd squad of them to still give me markerlight ability after the first squad gets flattened. At lower points I've been experimenting with marker-drone wargear. 30 points each is expensive, but I can add 5 total lights to a squad (1 on the shas'ui, 2 marker drones with him, and 2 more with the ethereal who tags along) for 130 points: significantly less than the 200 that it takes for a full pathfinder squad.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 09:37   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

When I use pathfinders they either perform awesome the whole game or crash and burn miserably. If they can deploy in cover and with a commanding battlefield view and some protection from assault ie in forest near to a squad of kroot, they can support other units effectively. If they have to move then you loose a whole turn of marker support.

Quote:
I often use them to negate cover saves and ld for pinning checks. I think reducing ld is one of their most usefull assets.

shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 10:55   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

I have to say that Pathfinders are like every other unit; You like them , you use them.

I have used them in several games, and they either become a rather pivotal instrument in my games or they are the first to die under unreasonable amount of fire (Have you seen three basilisk firing on the same target and then followed up by a sweep by two squads of Storm troopers on one squad of pathfinders before?)

They can be a pivotal piece that can help in improving an entire army in many ways, the main ones being improving the BS and also reducing cover saves. The others are conditional and depends on the army's composition. However this precise point is why they are feared by the other armies and thus will suffer casualties fast if the opponent manages to have them within his reach.

However in some games they are not really going to perform well, for the constrains of the terrain may bother with their purpose. The markerlight do need line of sight after all to shoot at its target.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote