Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Kill Team
Old 07 Oct 2007, 19:45   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to KevFox2169 Send a message via AIM to KevFox2169 Send a message via MSN to KevFox2169 Send a message via Yahoo to KevFox2169
Default Tau Kill Team

I'm currently fiddling around with the Kill Team scenario. Seems Tau would enjoy sending Kroot of Vespid for these suicide missions, and it may be easier for them to complete. Anyway, for 150pts of KillTeam, Heres the skinny:

1 Stealth Shas'vre w/
Bonding Knife
Markerlight
HW Target Lock

1 Pathfinder Shas'la
3 Fire Warriors
2 Gundrones
1 Kroot Warrior w/ 2 Hounds

Now, besides the upgrades I could buy (which I try to hold back on) Would this seem to be an effective Kill Team? More importantly, When I make backstory for them, will it be hard to pull it off as fluffy?

All feedback welcome.
Old 07 Oct 2007, 21:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tau Kill Team

Not bad but why a Pathfinder? His Marker Light is a heavy weapon so will not get used much if at all.

I also do not like the Stealth suit in there . If memory serves he will give your opponent extra points. Stealth teams are the fluffy logical choice but kill team was not really designed with them in mind. :

If you stick to this set up have their fluff reflect why there is such a wide variety of troopers. Example: they could be survivors of decimated squads who are sent on this mission in order to keep other combat effective squads on the battle line.

I am your lighted way and I am your darkest day. -Godsmack
Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 21:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that breaks more laws than i can count so if you want go for it it seems fairly fluffy since their being sent mostly on suicide missions anyway but your opponent will get a lot more brute squads and more points for his boss.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Oct 2007, 02:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to KevFox2169 Send a message via AIM to KevFox2169 Send a message via MSN to KevFox2169 Send a message via Yahoo to KevFox2169

I may be missing something, but breaking 2 mutable laws is more than you can count?

Thanks for the fluff suggestions. Does anyone else have an example of Their kill team perhaps? of course more feedback is good.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 02:09   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Markerlights are not networked, though, so they actually have no use in Kill Team. Remember that the whole group counts as one unit. If you are looking for a Markerlight, it needs to be a Marker Drone.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 01:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFox2169
I may be missing something, but breaking 2 mutable laws is more than you can count?
gundrones have jet packs as well so with the 3 shot burst cannon thats 4. i just don't see why you don't just take carbine FW.
maybe im wrong though, i don't have the rulebook on hand.

Quote from: The Hawk on Today at 08:06:41 PM
Wow cheeseman you are the best TO member by far!!
cheeseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 02:03   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

Gun Drones actually don't have Jetpacks in the instance. They take the unit type of whoever has the controller, so in this case they are basic infantry.

You are, however, breaking the single-entry rule three times, and the rule about no more than 2 shots/turn once. You are also breaking an immutable law, because you have two Heavy weapons (the two Markerlights). I think you are also going to be stuck breaking another one because of more than 40 points of wargear on the Stealthsuit, unless you split the Drone Squadron off, in which case you are breaking another immutable law.

So your opponent would be getting about +90 points for their boss and 6 extra brute squads. Definitely not worth it.
Old 09 Oct 2007, 03:32   #8 (permalink)
SGS
Shas'La

I use vespid. Jump infantry, fleet of wing/foot, strong assult weapon, high Initative so you strike first. If I remember correctly you can take 11 or 12 without the strain leader, and it all ads up, breaking one law (the codex requires you to take the strain leader). You can outrun, outshoot, and out fight any brute squad.

Sale or trade DE wyches, Wood Elf Waywatchers, and more: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,92810.0.html
SGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Oct 2007, 06:08   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Interesting. I see what you mean by the Markerlight Uselessness. I wasn't aware you could "break a law" multiple times, and adding the points up that way. So scrapping the upgrades of the Stealthsuit and getting rid of the Pathfinder, (maybe replace it with a vespid) i'd be a bit more in business.

Also, how hilarious of a team would my original idea be anyway? Goodness, the team would hate one another.

Thanks again for all the feedback.
Old 09 Oct 2007, 14:59   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

It would be an interesting idea, but unfortunately the Kill Team rules were not really written with Tau in mind. They work much better for Space Marines and Imperial Guard given the options available to their basic infantry units.

For Tau, the most effective Kill Teams for their cost are probably either a unit of Vespids minus the Strain Leader, or else a basic Fire Warrior team (with a Marker Drone). Both of them have a good chance of killing any brute squad that they aim at in a single turn of shooting.

But yeah. Mutable laws are cumulative.