Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

anyone patient enought to tutor a newbie
Closed Thread
Old 20 Mar 2005, 11:05   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default anyone patient enought to tutor a newbie

by the end of this week i'll get a large shipment of stuff i got online and through friends...next week i'll be busy with work and painting these guys (barring my toddler start rampaging through my workshop again) and hopefully i can get a 1000pt army going by the end of this month...can anyone really teach me how to do this warhammer stuff..the owner of the 40k Long beach, California shop already told me that the players there don't have much patience and will teach me wrong stuff to win(and besides they have no love for tau)..so i'm asking anyone to point me to a person who would be willing to help me..i'll even pay a small amount ($50 max-hey i'm not rich i'm just serious enough to do this) for his time. any replies will be helpful and appreciated..have a great day
Old 20 Mar 2005, 11:28   #2 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer
Default Re: anyone patient enought to tutor a newbie

Hey, helping out is what we're here for!

What we need, however, is information. We could do with knowing
  • What models you have.
  • Are they built?
  • Do you have any gaming experience?
  • Any ideas on army themes and/or playing styles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 20 Mar 2005, 15:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

24mech:

Woa there partner! Keep the cash in the wallet. These places are free and you'll get the best help around. Give us as much information as possible, as Wargamer listed for you. Also, perhaps give us more information about what opponents you will be facing, mainly which races (I would guess a lot of Marines based on the non-Tau attraction in your shop).

By the end of this thread, you will have all the tools you need
Old 20 Mar 2005, 15:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

hi there,
I'm 42, the (slightly less arrogant ) tau mod and i'd be very willing to help, i had no-one to help me start playing tau so i sympathise with your situation!

dont worry, all possible advice to become a great tau player can be found in these forums...if you look hard enough! read the stickies first and then either tell us in detail what wargamer listed or drop me some pm's, id be more than happy to help.

Hope to see more of you soon,

Edit by RJay: Ahem...
Old 20 Mar 2005, 16:14   #5 (permalink)
Ethereal

I'm sure you'll find everything you need here, and more besides.
Payment? Hmmmm... *rubs chin.*

There's no need for that, any member of staff will be happy to answer any of your questions I'm sure. Bear in mind though, that people cannot post unit statistics in the boards for copyright reasons.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I highly reccomend these forums...and the folks who contribute here.

I came here after years of absence from 40k, and everyone here was just great...welcoming, and always ready with advice, suggestions and encouragement. You'll be hard pressed to find more helpful people on the net...

ok...when do I get paid for this endorsement? :P

-M
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:09   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

ha ha ha ;D..thanks for all your encouraging support..i will surely utilize this forum for my entry to WH40k...oh yeah this is my expected roster by next week...
painted
1 ethereal
72 fire warriors
3 crisis suits
3 broadsides
10 pathfinders incl 2 commnders and 3 rail
9 stealth suits incl 1 commander
2 hammerheads
1 devilfish

unpainted
24 FW
24 kroot
1 kroot shaper
1 kroot ox
4 kroot hounds
12 gun drones
1 hammerhead
and i'm still shopping around for more kroots , drones and devilfishes...and by nxt month some upgrades to the vehicles..
i guess that should be enough eh...and i guess it's way over 2000pt army...

i am new to warhammer and don't know even the basics...but i've seen some games and the gamers who r (seems) close and competitive... i'm 28 y/0 dad holding 2 jobs so i guess this is what i reserve for myself..thanks again for the support guys...and can't wait to hear from y'all
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

wow, you have an auwful lot of stuff for just a beginner!

yikes, im afraid you probasbly wont need all of that!

If 2000pts is going to be your stopping point then you will need (maximum) -

1 ethereal

7-10 crisis suits
6 stealths inc. shas'ui leader

60 fire warriors
40 kroot

4 devilfish
16 pathfinders/6 of them rail, 2 shas'ui leaders
(dont worry about buying gun drones, with all that stuff you will have enough anyway)

2 HH's
3 B/sides

And that would beat an absolute max in my book! It would allow you to chop and change in a 2000pt list and play many different styles.

However playing huge games like this at first is a bad idea, you need more time to work out strategies and to get to know each unit and its strengths/weaknesses by itself.

I would therefore advise painting and playing with a 400pt patrol force (rules in back of rulebook) then expanding to 1000pts and palying that solidly until you get a real grasp for tau!

hope that helped,
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

24Mech:

You have -plenty- of models to begin this game and finish this game with. You have all you need for Tau. You have enough Troops to last you your entire Tau career. The only thing I see lacking is the amount of Crisis Suits in the list. Three hammerheads and Broadsides means you have more heavy support than you can even field. Not bad! My first intuition based on the models that you have is a massive Firewarrior army supported by Hammerheads, mounted in Devilfish. 72 Firewarriors is the maximum amount you can field in your 6 troop slots, and that's a big number of Strength 5 shots and is scary for anyone to face up against. Playing your first games with that many Firewarriors and Hammerheads with back up from a couple of Crisis and some Stealthsuits is definitely a great way to begin your game to get a feel for what you like.

1000 points out of the models you have listed is quite easy. And yes you have well over 2,000 points worth of models.

Out of your painted models, for 1,000 points, here are a few examples of what I would suggest for starting with:

Starting 1,000 #1:

HQ - Ethereal
Elite - Crisis Suits x 3; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifles; Multi-trackers; Bonded
Fast - Gundrones x 8 (though these are not painted)
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; Decoy Launchers
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launcher

It would give you a little bit of everything to start with while you learn the rules and how your army works. It revolves around a strong base of Firewarriors with support from small groups of elites and a heavy as well as a little Gundrone action for fast attacks. Some may not like the idea of an Ethereal in 1,000 points though due to the fear of losing him (which I will say does not happen as often as people seem to think). But before that old dog is waken again, I'll give you another idea.

Starting 1,000 #2:

HQ - Shas'el Commander; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifle; Multi-tracker
Elite - Shas'ui XV8 Crsis Suit; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifle; Multi-tracker
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui; Devilfish; Decoy Launchers
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launcher; Target Locks

I would prefer this list most likely, due to the very large chunk of Troops. Troops are the best way to learn the game as they're generally the most important and long lasting unit in the game for all races (opinion of course, but generally true). This list would give you your suits and a commander to support your strong base of firewarriors who are also supported by a very big tank. This list would probably be better to learn with, but is more of a static list, and not as mobile as others could be. But with only a single Devilfish, that is to be expected.

Now, drawing from all your models, here's a couple other ideas.

Starting 1,000 #3:

HQ - Shas'el Commander; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifle; Multi-tracker
Fast - Kroot Hounds x 4
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui; Bonded; Devilfish; Decoy Launchers
Troop - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui; Bonded
Troop - Kroot Carnivores x 20
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Decoy Launcher; Target Locks
Heavy - Shas'ui XV88 Broadside; Multi-tracker

This would bring you more of a Hybrid list with more heavy support and some mobile units as well as a large pack of Kroot with Hounds attached to infiltrate. It has less Firewarriors to make room for more variety for you to try out different options with your models and army to get used to them.

And finally a fun way to learn the game

Starting 1,000 #4:

HQ - Ethereal
Troops - Firewarriors x 12; Shas'ui
Heavy - Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker

All the troops to give anyone a headache and stability. Just a little gunship action which should have the whole game as your opponent will be mostly occupied with a sea of Firewarriors. Good times! Learning to use your Firewarriors is a great way to really get atuned to the Tau before adding in the spicey units.

This are just ideas to show you how you can fit your models into the 1,000 points and there are many other ways to do this.

Here's a good link to read to learn more about your Firewarriors: Firewarrior Configurations

Be sure to read your codex a couple of times. And read your 4th edition rule book a couple of times too! You will find differences each time. But definately get that codex to memory. Then ask your questions I'm sure everyone will have plenty of answers for you.

And remember, you will hear lots of things that may be similar or even contradict each other, so keep your mind open and make your own decisions. No one should be playing the game for you
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Good lists MalVeaux, some minor things id tweak myself but remember these shouldnt be our lists!

24mech this army is yours, eveyones armies are different, everyone has a different playign style. Myself i play mech with a small static lure (ill explain if you pm me!) but the best way is try try and try again. Get gaming reguarly when you have got painted (and remember to spend time painting!) and you will gradually find the best lists for YOU. These lists are very good to start with but remember no amount of reading tacticas and having your lists analysed will be the same as actually having fun and gaming, and rolling those dice youself!

Try to spend a lot of time painting to a high standard then go out there and enjoy!