Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau infantry army ???
Old 07 Oct 2007, 10:23   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Tau infantry army ???

Hi all,

you might notice that I opened some threads concerning particular elemts of a Tau army. In this thread I want to discus the idea of a Tau infantry army, ie an army without any vehicle.

Is a Tau infantry army a good concept or is it an extremely bad one?

What are the biggest problems such an army might face?

Thanks

Stephan
Stephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 10:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to UltraMagnus Send a message via MSN to UltraMagnus Send a message via Yahoo to UltraMagnus
Default Re: Tau infantry army ???

it could work, it depends if by infantry you would allow battlesuits, because without broadsides you will have no way of dealing with tanks what so ever
Old 07 Oct 2007, 11:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The downside to an all infantry army is that you won't have a lot of heavier weapons. With the exception of your commanders weapons and any units you might include there won't be anything that can touch armor 12 and up. Unless you take markerlights in your units and the missiles on your vehicles.

As for anti-tank ability: EMP grenades. Take a unit or two of pulse carbine armed warriors with EMP grenades and run them up in a Warfish (devilfish with SMS...). Remember these are suicide units, their whole purpose in life is to take out the enemies armor, after that, well.... :
Old 07 Oct 2007, 11:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

i've always liked the idea of 72 firewarriors, and an etheral bodyguard too, and antitank shouldnt be a problem, you could have drone squadrons deepstrike behind tanks or sniper teams, there strength 6 or seven, can't remember, but will be good for picking off lone speeders or such where you don't want to waste an entire firewarrior squad, could end up being quite a large army in the end... 72 fws, 12 bodyguard, lots of drones and snipers..

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 11:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

yeah Ive seen 70 fire warriors 1 crises suit commander 2 crises body guards, 6 broadsides and 12 stealth suits.
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 11:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

i dont like to class the broadsides as infantry, as there still suits, gun drones i can as there small and numerous, and the last thing people expect is a squad of drones dropping behind your prized predator *rocks back and forth from memories*

Old 07 Oct 2007, 11:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timjim
i dont like to class the broadsides as infantry, as there still suits, gun drones i can as there small and numerous, and the last thing people expect is a squad of drones dropping behind your prized predator *rocks back and forth from memories*
Uh gun drones are S 5 not 6 or 7. If you dont have any broadisdes then You arent going to be able to hurt a monalith, land raiders are going to give you headaches and a tank heavy army will crush you, deepstriking behind armour in the hopes of a rear shot is chancy and by the time you deepstrike the damage may already be done.
Solourus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 12:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

i know there strength five, pulse carbines.. but 8 of them can do some damage against vehicles, even side armour of preds are affected, which makes gun drones great ^_^

though i don't tend to use them that often lol

and how often do you come up against a monolith or raider? your commander can handle them if nothing else, or like howloutloud said emp grenades

Old 07 Oct 2007, 12:10   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

The idea of that is small and if that were the case if i were the opponent i would eliminate the commander and yes land raiders leman russ and monoliths are common vehicles on the table tops of 40k battles. If you don't have serious backed fire power with certainty your in trouble.
That Phyco Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2007, 12:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

it'd be hard eliminating a commander if he's independent, leman russ's i can take down with missile pods, i admit that a monolith would be a challenge, i even have trouble with three hammerheads, haven't played against a landraider in a looong time mainly because they suck slightly, maybe have a squad of pathfinders with some seekers on the fish?