Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

drones and ICs
Old 05 Oct 2007, 21:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default drones and ICs

"If he is an independent character then the drones and the character form a unit but the character and drones may still join another unit. (Codex: Tau Empire, 31)"

After playing Tau competitively for a very long time, I decided its time to really mess with people's heads, and Tau are so great at doing this. JSJ is fun, but out tupperware of death (drones), are even better. However, they may even have greater potential. As I was flipping through the codex, a thought crossed my head about independent characters, and the fact that they can't hold objectives. Then I came across the passage above in the drone section. This made me wonder whether simply giving a commander a shield drone would make him able to capture objectives, as he becomes a unit. Now, this means he can be shot at, but we have JSJ. This also means that for 10 or 15 points, we can make all our commanders scoring. The question is, did I read this right? To recap:

1. Do drones make ICs a unit?

2. Is this unit able to be shot at?

3. Can this unit capture objectives?

If the above three are true, I may actually start taking shield drones

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 21:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: drones and ICs

1. Yup, they're a unit.
2. The unit can then be shot at.
3. Yes as well.

That's at least how I understand drones... Torrent of fire can definitely ruin your day though...
Old 05 Oct 2007, 21:37   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Wait a sec - if you WOULD use Gun Drones, and you WOULD get 4 wounding hits with a Plasma Gun - would your Commander be instakilled, since his T is 3 (majority Toughness rule)? Not that I`d give my Commander Gun Drones, to begin with, still, an interesting question...
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 21:42   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
Wait a sec - if you WOULD use Gun Drones, and you WOULD get 4 wounding hits with a Plasma Gun - would your Commander be instakilled, since his T is 3 (majority Toughness rule)? Not that I`d give my Commander Gun Drones, to begin with, still, an interesting question...
I believe he would. Which is why you should never use Gun Drones for any reason whatsoever, save in Stealth Teams or independent squadrons.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 21:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, thought so. One reason more not to distribute Gun Drones among your Commanders...

I prefer him as an IC, anyway
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 23:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

actually, the point was to give him shield drones, not gun drones... actually a single shield drone so that I can score with them, and really piss of my opponents. Thanks guys

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2007, 04:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Another thought is could you just join him to a nonscoring team of Piranha or DFish Drones at the last moment and would that make the unit scoring?

This way you could use your swarms of VP worthless gun drones from all your vehicles to maintain IC status for both commanders(naturally using JSJ to avoid damage where it is feasible) throughout the whole game.

Then on the last turn whatever remnants of drones that are left can join the IC and make him scoring. Is this a correct assumption?
Old 06 Oct 2007, 05:08   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I'm not an expert, but aren't both units by themselves non-scoring? I would think when you add two things together, which are by themselves non-scoring, the resulting unit would also be non-scoring. But then again, a Shas'Ui by himself is scoring, while a commander who has exponentially more experience is non-scoring. Still trying to figure that one out.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Oct 2007, 05:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfagar
I'm not an expert, but aren't both units by themselves non-scoring? I would think when you add two things together, which are by themselves non-scoring, the resulting unit would also be non-scoring. But then again, a Shas'Ui by himself is scoring, while a commander who has exponentially more experience is non-scoring. Still trying to figure that one out.
LOL you're like me in that you are trying to reason things out logically. Unfortunately I've learned that common sense has very little to do with the realm of 40k rules interpretation. :P

Still I really would like to be able to combine an IC Shas'O with a non scoring GD team and claim objectives last turn.
Old 06 Oct 2007, 07:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Haha, the IC and drones would not become scoring. Keep dreaming .