Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

XV84 "Super Sniper" Team...
Old 03 Oct 2007, 15:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he
Default XV84 "Super Sniper" Team...

I've been looking at the Forgeworld rules, and an idea popped up that I thought I'd run through here. The idea was to use an XV84 commander in conjunction with a Deathrain team to make a "Super Sniper" team.

First, start with your average bargain Deathrain team; 3x Shas'ui, 3x TLMP, 3x Targeting Array or Flamer (if you're short on points). That's 141-159 points.

Next, take a Monat XV84 commander. Shas'el, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HW Multi-tracker. Third hardpoint is your choice. You can also take Marker Drones if you have the points. If you take a Flamer as your third hardpoint, that's 96 points.

Now, you join this commander with the Deathrain team and position it as you would a Sniper Drone team. That would amount to 8 S:7 shots at 36", all of which are highly likely to hit (6 twin-linked shots hitting on a 3-4+, 2 shots hitting on a 2+), and a Markerlight shot hitting on a 2+ (XV84 also has a Target Lock).
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 15:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: XV84 "Super Sniper" Team...

The only downside is that you lose JSJ ... which is a large part of the success of Deathrains :-\

I'd do the team slightly differently though:

3 XV88 Crisis Battlesuits
- [Teamleader, Twinlinked Missile Pod, Target Array, HWDC + 2 SD's, Bonding]
- [Twinlinked Missile Pod, Target Array]
- [Twinlinked Missile Pod, Target Array]

XV84 Shas'El
- [Twinlinked Missile Pod, DC + 2 SD's]

What's that run, ~315 pts?

Here you'd use range and Shield Drones to keep you alive rather than JSJ. Everyone's got twinlinked BS4 guns and is BS5 66% of the time. Interesting idea...
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
T0nkaTruckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 15:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I really like this idea, but!

Is the XV84 a Networked Markerlight or just plain old Markerlight? Judging by the fact that he has to join the Deathrain Team, I'm guessing the old variety, which means the team can't JSJ.
Old 03 Oct 2007, 16:00   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0nkaTruckDriver
The only downside is that you lose JSJ ... which is a large part of the success of Deathrains :-\
Yes, I realise this. But with some tweaks, and a somewhat higher point cost, you could turn this "Super Sniper" squad into a multirole squad.

Instead of Flamers or Targeting Arrays on the Deathrains, give them Plasma Rifles. Also give the XV84 a Plasma Rifle as his third hardpoint.

For the first few turns of the game, remain stationary and act as a sniper team. If enemy forces close in, switch to Plasma Rifles and use mid-close-range JSJ tactics.

~~~

And no, the XV84 Markerlight is not networked. Indeed, the Deathrains can't use its benefits, but that's not the point. Its a Markerlight shot hitting on a 2+, mounted on a somewhat durable Shas'el or even Shas'o, if you please. Let your Fire Warriors or Hammerheads use that ML shot.
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote