Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best way to tackle a Land Raider?
Old 03 Oct 2007, 11:34   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to ShasO KVor
Default Best way to tackle a Land Raider?

So to stand any chance of taking out a Land raider, it would have to be Railguns on the HH or XV88's? and even then a 4+ would be needed just to score a glancing hit.

Is the Fusion Blaster (Piranhas and suits) a Melta weapon? I can't recall offhand.

Best tactic to fire a few markerlights at it for BS increase, and hit it with Railguns? Or get a couple of Tetras over there with ML's, take the Piranha over there quick, see if it can get round to the rear (RA 13 on a LR?) and use the BS increase to Fusion Blast it?

Would that be putting too much firepower into eliminating one meaty vehicle? Bearing in mind all those Lascannon shots can wipe out those Hammerheads with little effort.

Any suggestions?

I was also thinking of taking one HH as an Ion Cannon to deal with the surging troop.
ShasO KVor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 12:07   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: Best way to tackle a Land Raider?

In my short experience (only about 10games so far) I've gone up against LRCs 3 times. Turn your 3 man broadside unit and blast away. Since the Railgun is AP1, if you hit, you'll pen on a 4+. 3 pen shots have a way of making a LRC fall apart pretty quickly. If for some god forsaken reason, your dice have failed you, get the piranhas over there and melt his backside off.
Old 03 Oct 2007, 12:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Dezart Fox

landraiders are 14 all way round and honestly they're not that scary, tau dont have mush a14 killing weapons, so i always struggle against monoliths too, but if your luckey a railgun should do it, 4's is still 50% chance of getting a glancing and if you do glance you know for sure its not gonna shoot back unless you immobilise or destroy it etc

Dezart Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 12:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valzin
In my short experience (only about 10games so far) I've gone up against LRCs 3 times. Turn your 3 man broadside unit and blast away. Since the Railgun is AP1, if you hit, you'll pen on a 4+. 3 pen shots have a way of making a LRC fall apart pretty quickly. If for some god forsaken reason, your dice have failed you, get the piranhas over there and melt his backside off.
I'd have to agree here. The fusion Piranha is an amazing AV 14 tank-killer, but it takes a few turns to get to the target. Railguns are the next best thing, but they can start shaking and baking heavy armour from turn 1. Having a little of both is the best bet.
Shas lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Don`t forget that with a flight of Piranhas, you can "Feeding Drenzy" the Land Raider, and not only destroy the tank, but also kill off the transported unit by blocking all the exit hatches while blowing up the tank.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 13:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff

Quote:
Best way to tackle a Land Raider?
Well... to tackle a human you need to be moving at some speed and be able to hit him head on or slightly from the side. To bring him down you're to need to get at least one arm around him.

Now... You need to be about the size of a defiler or bigger to actually tackle a Land Raider.

Sorry couldn't resist

Main one guys at my club with tau do is the fusion gun or broadsides
Old 03 Oct 2007, 13:10   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

As Valzin noted, the Railgun is AP1. The only way you will get a glancing hit is if the Land Raider popped smoke or is obscured. Otherwise, you have a 50% chance of penetrating it. It is worth taking a whole unit of Broadsides into it, or two Hammerheads. Its armor is uniform, so there is no incentive to get behind it.

So I would just use Railguns, with a Fusion Piranha as a backup. Land Raiders are not one of the better units Space Marines have against Tau. CmdrBonesaw's point about blocking the entrances is very important. Since Land Raiders often contain Terminators, the unit inside may be more valueable than the tank itself. That said, against Tau, few Space Marine players will leave units in their vehicles after the first turn. After that, the vehicles are just cover.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 13:22   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
So I would just use Railguns, with a Fusion Piranha as a backup. Land Raiders are not one of the better units Space Marines have against Tau. CmdrBonesaw's point about blocking the entrances is very important. Since Land Raiders often contain Terminators, the unit inside may be more valueable than the tank itself. That said, against Tau, few Space Marine players will leave units in their vehicles after the first turn. After that, the vehicles are just cover.
Very true. A chaos friend of mine boasted how he'd never lost a Land Raider in combat (Immobilized, yes... Destroyed, never). So with full confidence he loaded his expensive demon prince in the belly of his iron beast and came rushing towards me. First turn I penetrated with a railgun, forcing the DP out into the open. Next turn the Piranha swept in to finish off the shaken LR, while the Crisis, Broadsides and Railhead turned the Demon Prince into a charred mass. He never even got to summon his precious Bloodletters.
Shas lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 13:54   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to shaso kunas

I think EMP's are usefull for taking out LRC's or super heavies

2+ penetratings and 4+ glancings(on anything) for 171 points(12FW, EMP's, TL, bonded.)

good?
shaso kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 15:07   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via AIM to Shas-o Y-eldi-he

The "Feeding Frenzy" Piranhas sound like a great idea, especially against LRC's full of Terminators. Ah, if only I knew at the 'Ard Boyz what I know today...
Shas-o Y-eldi-he is offline   Reply With Quote