Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Tau
Old 03 Oct 2007, 03:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to The_One
Default Starting Tau

Hello Tau players!!! ;D

I'm a previous Tyranid player but with all my friends playing "bad guys" (chaos, dark eldar, and 'nids). But Tyranid are starting to lose interest for me so i want to start Tau...
Aside from the Codex, what should i get to start Tau?
The_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 03:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Starting Tau

If you have the money and are serious about starting the army I would go out and buy two boxes of firewarriors (your required troop choices, b/c you have to always have at least one), and a Crisis Suit Commander. This way you could go either down the mechanized path or the Static Path. I personally prefer the Mech path, but its up to you wether you want a defensive slow force, or a manuverable, offensive force. Both are fun though .

Welcome to the Tau'va!!!

-Rosetta Stoned

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 03:47   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

As another new-ish player to 40k and the Tau, I've had several people recommend buying the Tau Battleforce as a starting kit. It's a smashing deal, even if you only play to use the Kroot inside as a doorstop or to fling at the cat. ;D

It's comperable in cost to two boxes of fire warriors and the commander, but you get:
a box of fire warriors
a devilfish
the packing material kroot
3 stealthsuits
an XV8 Battlesuit
a total of 6 gun drones spread out amongst all that.

That's what I plan to buy to get myself going even though I have no idea what style I'll play. I figure the cost of a weapon sprue to convert the Devilfish to a Hammerhead if I feel like it would be worth the cost to me. Or maybe I'll see if I can drill some holes in myself trying to install magnets so it's a dual-purpose thingy.
Boozerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 04:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'd say skip the Battleforce and go for the Megaforce. You get about $300 worth of minis for $175. You can do even better if you get it from a non-GW store. Some places do 20% off and sell it for $140. It nets you about 1000 pts and has no kroot.

Paying $175 (or $140) at one time seems like a lot, but you do much better than if you piecemeal it over several months buying a box of firewarriors here, a stealth team there....

You'll just need to get a commander to go with it.
Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2007, 19:32   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

While the Megaforce is an awesome deal, wouldn't it pigeonhole you into a mechanized force since it comes with 5 vehicles?

If your'e going for a static force, it seems you're just wasting money on stuff you won't use - or will do a rubbish paint job on and have to clean up and repaint if you ever do decide to use them again.

edit: wording change.
Boozerbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2007, 20:08   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

I'm starting a Farsight Enclave army (you'd never have guessed from my name :P) and I'm curious weather that tedious legal grey area that is Farsight's under 1500pts rules has been ironed-out yet? Can I always play as the Farsight Enclave? I think I have enough non-farsight units to play with a regular Tau <1500 army list, but it would still look weird how my Farsight forces have to forget about their blood-botherhood and join the Empire just because it's not a large scale battle.

I should be getting the new Tau Rapid Insertion Force, which I presume is a good idea considering that Farsight is very Crisis Suit savvy. What is Farsight's Crisis Suit limit? I'm not sure what the Elite choice max is, but for the HQ choice I think the Codex says it's 7 suits, though I heard from some people that it's 8 or 9.

Another thing: In the Codex it says that the Farsight Enclave has trained heavily in hand-to-hand combat. Does this mean they are better in all close-combat or are they only better against Orks?

I'd like to see what that training looks like! . "Ok you Shas'la, if you get into close-combat with an Ork, you will get massacred; but we're going to train you how to be a bit less massacred."
Old 04 Oct 2007, 20:16   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I don't think the megaforce pigeonholes you. It gives you flexibility. You don't have to use all the models in the box. You can do math and figure out which models you got for free and consider them a bonus. Static you say? The suits, plus stealth plus FW would run you $130 (and give you 4 extra warriors) if you bought them separately. At that point you are getting the 5 vehicles for $9 a piece. Economically, I think it is a no-brainer to get the big box. Psychologically, it's another story.

Arschbombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2007, 22:47   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arschbombe
You'll just need to get a commander to go with it.
Technically not.
Any Crisis suit can be used as a Commander. (I used a heavily converted one from the Battleforce as mine. He has stealthsuit, crisis suit and a few vehicle bits on him.)
Unless you really want the special wargear (and have no conversion skill whatsoever) or the alternate heads, you don't need the Commander box.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 02:46   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero

Unless you really want the special wargear (and have no conversion skill whatsoever) or the alternate heads, you don't need the Commander box.
Another great reason for not making your commander look overly special is that is sends opponents into a frenzy when they charge a shas'o, and not realize he's decent in close combat against anything lacking a powerfist.

Cheers!
Originally Posted by Faolin
"Human nature" only prevents a better future if we accept it as unchangeable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechTau
Shasocastris, since my return to these boards, nothing has made a bigger impression than you and your views.
shasocastris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Oct 2007, 04:30   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Last night...my Shas'o got WAY lucky and popped the last wound on a winged tyrant that charged him. He was only wounded once (thank the greater good for shield generators) and my opponent happened to roll a 1 when one wound happened to scrape the tyrant. It was awsome. Also (and this is no joke as this is someone I play against alot) it happened to be the commander that I modeled as the "Orkin Man". Seriously, I have the "Orkin" logo painted onto the side of the suit's backpack. (I also have a heavily converted broadside stepping over the bloodied torso of a lictor.) It was an awsome gaming moment.