Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

thoughts on Tau and small-point games
Old 02 Oct 2007, 06:20   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default thoughts on Tau and small-point games

this topic is somewhat related to the recent post regarding tau as a top-tier army.

i've been playing a lot of small-point games lately (anywhere between 500 and 1,000 pts total), and i've been thinking (which is usually a dangerous thing). are the Tau at a disadvantage in small points games. the guys i usually play against are Eldar, SMs, or Guard. admittedly, some have learned their armies faster than others, but in these small point games i often feel at a disadvantage. perhaps it is my inexperience (and i'm more than willing to admit to that). i just don't know. SMs just seem to be able to take enough and are stacked enough that in a small point game, i either can't take enough troops to kill them all or i can't take enough of the ever-important technological advances that the Tau are famous for to stand a chance. Once the Eldar player figured out how to effectively field a competing army, our games became a coin flip. the Guard player has taken the longest learning curve, but he's begun to figure out relatively effective strategies (though i do tend to beat him a lot more often than not).

does anyone have advice at smaller point games as far as an army list or tactics against Eldar or SMs to make me more of a contender? or am i just that incompetent?

the following is meant to be a very very rough sketch of an army list i would field in a 500 point game (if you want more specific, i can be)

sample army list

100 pt commander
300 pt infantry (mostly FW, but occassionally Kroot)
100 pt either XV8s, heavies, or just more infantry.

i just feel at this point value, attempting to field mech Tau is impossible. thoughts?
justamusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 07:12   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: thoughts on Tau and small-point games

That`s the reason you use Combat Patrol rules for games up to 5.00 points - this way, no army can go over the top with cheese.

The next "playable" stage (albeit barely) is 750 points.

In 1.000 points, it is already possible to field a useful Mech list - 2 Hammerheads, 2 FoF teams, rest Crisis Suits.

In my opinion, especially at lower-point games, Mech Tau have the ability to rock, thanks to their "cheap" Ionheads and Devilfish.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 10:18   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm with CmdrBonesaw, 500pt games must use Combat Patrols, or someone will just field a Landraider and some assault marines.

However if you do play Tau with CP rules and 500 points we're at a great advantage. We can field 3 XV 8 Deathrain Monats. Having played a series of 500 pt CPs in a tourny recently I can tell you they can win the game for you. Add to that Sniper Drones for AP2, Marklight goodness and your able to take down MEQs and light armour far more quickly than they can retaliate.
Old 02 Oct 2007, 19:01   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to cyberzomby

Tau are almost over powered in low pts games. I think a few of theres strongest games can be played at 500 pts.

In the area Ive played 500 pts games the few tau players there where had almost no trouble gettin past marine players at low pts games.

Just get a lot of stealth teams ( 4 man team if I remember correctly ) with 1 or 2 crisis tank hunters.

cyberzomby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 00:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

i agree with everyone.

i think tau do very well in small games! i love deathrains, and they do great in combat patrols, and, well ALWAYS! but anyway, tau rock at small games! just remember how tau work best, do not spread your fire; focus everything at whatever is on top of you priority list with everything you have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pond823
I'm with CmdrBonesaw, 500pt games must use Combat Patrols, or someone will just field a Landraider and some assault marines.

I'm not afraid of landraiders in a 500 point game! :P

if my opponent fields a landraider and some assault marines, i doubt he will have anything else, considering its a 500 point game. broadsides are cheap, and have a 50% of at least glancing once they land their railgun shots, which are very accurate (being twin linked, and add in markerlights or a targetting array and bam, almost a sure hit).

even if my opponent isn't fielding a landraider, i like having (at least) a broadside in my combat patrol lists. broadsides are great and popping vehicles, and can act as snipers easily. they can instant kill just about any infantry you will come against in combat patrol, so they are also great for forcing the leadership checks on those squads that need to lose one more member before being 50% or something.

my two cents
yosh
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 01:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

@yosh: Broadsides are illegal in CP lists, due to the fact they have 2+ saves.
@pond: Sniper Drones are AP3, and yes, they do own at CP level.

And MechTau is possible at CP level, if somewhat difficult:
8 FW, 80 points
Warfish, 120 points
Deathrain+ 53 points
Deathrain(Flamer) 47 points
4 Gun Drones 48 points
4 Gun Drones 48 points

Total 396 Points

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 01:25   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

thanks for all of the input. as i said, i really am still learning the ropes of all of this, and perhaps i just haven't thought out appropriate responses (i have that problem, often) to enemy strengths in small-point games (it's one of the many reasons i'm terrible at chess).

i'll definitely consider all of the advice. if anyone has anything else to add, i'd be glad to mull it over.
Old 03 Oct 2007, 01:31   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

also (and i apologize for the double post...but i forgot this in my first reply), what exactly is a "warfish?"
Old 03 Oct 2007, 01:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Ravager

A Warfish is a Devilfish with the following upgrades:
Smart Missile System, Multi-tracker, Targeting Array, Decoy Launchers.

It basically turns the 'fish from a transport in to a light tank/assault vehicle.

We have done the impossible... and that makes us mighty.
Firefly is pretty much made of Awesome, Funny, and Aww. Sometimes simultaneously. We'd better stop before we quote the entire script.
–tvtropes.org
Ravager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Oct 2007, 01:53   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

what was i thinking! ???

thanks for correcting me, i guess i meant that if my opponent took a landraider, then i would take broadsides. but then again, i have been know to space out between begging and end of posts (on other forums at least).

this may be off topic, but i have a question (take in note i do not own the BBB)

are combat patrols limited to 400 points? i thought you could have them up to 500, but no higher than that. however, people keep saying you can only have 400 point combat patrols.
yosh is offline   Reply With Quote