Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau "Crisis" Variant Army List
Old 01 Oct 2007, 09:58   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Tau "Crisis" Variant Army List

Heya all,

Not sure if what I thought up is balanced or not, but I'd like to show you something I dreamed up yesterday.

Tau Crisis Force
Sometimes, when the threat posed by an enemy is too great, basic Tau forces will be recalled, to prevent loss of life. When this happens, a Crisis Force is sometimes sent in. The goal of these forces is to severely cripple the enemy force by destroying key objectives and wreaking havoc among their troops. Such forces are rare, and few in number, but not unheard of.

Modifications to the basic army list:

This force may only be used in games of 500 pts or less, without your opponent's consent. You MUST ask permission to use this list in larger battles, though it is not reccomended.
Crisis teams are Troops rather than Elites, and +1.
Fire Warrior Teams are no longer +1, count as elites, and cost 12 points each.
Ethereals may not be taken. (they are too risky to take in a mission like this!)
Crisis Suits cost 30pts each (from the basic unit entry, not the commanders or bodyguards!)
Crisis Teams may be taken as Fast Attack at +5 pts per model, or Elites for free. However, only one of each such team may be taken as elites and/or Fast Attack. (i.e., only one team may be taken as elites, and only one as fast attack)
Hammerheads, Skyrays, and Piranhas are 0-1.
Your basic Troops allowance from the Force Organization chart is limited to 3, rather than 6.

So, is this balanced? I'd quite like to use a force like this, as I LOVE putting together battlesuits. Suggestions are welcome, but no flaming or... well, you know the rules. :P I'll be willing to make modifications to these rules.

Thanks,

-Lord of the Pit
Frosty05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2007, 15:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar
Default Re: Tau "Crisis" Variant Army List

Quite frankly, it is really unbalanced. Not only are you creating the ability to spam Crisis Suits, but you are LOWERING the overall cost! If anything, the cost shoud be more!

Leave Fire Warriors as troops and give them a fish. Don't let Crisis infiltrate.

In my sig, I have a Codex: Farsight Enclaves link. For a reference, look up my XV-0 Battlesuit. That should be what a troop-choice battlesuit would be. Nothing big or able to carry S7+ weaponry. I'm not saying you have to copy/paste, but go ahead and draw inspiration from it. An all-Crisis army though...no. Soldiers must earn the privilege to operate XV-8 battlesuit.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Oct 2007, 18:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Problem is, I'm only going to be using this list in small-scale battle, like 500 pts at the most. It's nigh impossible to "Spam" crisis suits with any effectiveness in those sorts of point.

But yeah, I'll update the rules to say you can only use them in games of 500 points or less, and crisis suits cost 40 pts each. Good? I'll also get rid of infiltrate.

-Lord of the Pit
Old 02 Oct 2007, 15:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

If you're taking this list for 500 pts, you'll probably be playing CP. How would you like to play against this list:

Elite
Stealth Team-90
3 Stealth Suits

Crisis Suit-101
'Ui Team Leader, Targeting Array, Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, HWDC(2SD)

Troops
Crisis Suit-101
'Ui TL, TA, MP, PR, HWDC(2SD)

Crisis Suit-101

Crisis Suit-101

I hope you see the problem. Each of those Crisis Suits are a point CHEAPER(!) than they normally should be. Take out the clause about weaponry being half-priced. A plasma Rifle for 10pts? No.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Oct 2007, 15:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'll change the army list to say weaponry is not cheaper, and revert the price back to 30 pts.

-Lord of the Pit