Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

tau vs. necs?
Closed Thread
Old 17 Mar 2005, 03:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Location: On the Outskirts of the Kindom of Daley...in other words, in a Chicago Suburb
Send a message via AIM to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via MSN to stealth_cat_xv88 Send a message via Yahoo to stealth_cat_xv88
Default tau vs. necs?

i got a friend just startin' neccies. So, what do i use for a 500 pt. game vs. nec's? seems to be rather tight to fit suits or a hammerhead in (shudder). Advice appreciated
"Strategy is finding an s-o-b whom you rank and telling him to take a place, and relieving him if he doesn't." ~General George Patton
Old 17 Mar 2005, 04:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to ilyanep Send a message via AIM to ilyanep Send a message via MSN to ilyanep Send a message via Yahoo to ilyanep
Default Re: tau vs. necs?

muohaha my warriors will crush you...

while this would be against my advantage you probably need something with ap3 or better cuz otherwise I can just do WBB

but of course I don't know Tau uniits so I can't suggest stuff!

Current 40k Armies:
Necrons - 0 points

Old 17 Mar 2005, 05:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

I'd go with "dont"

we suffer a lot in 500pts, we cant get the good stuff in, play combat patrol instead.

I cant help on 500pts, but CP I can.

I suggest CP as its more balanced, less armies can do less relatively broken stuff, and we dont have to bring excessive AT.
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 17 Mar 2005, 06:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I'm with Dizzy on this one. CP is definitely a better choice when it comes to Tau in low points games.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 12:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Definitely go Combat Patrol if you can convince your friend. It's a great way to learn to play the game too. You won't be bogged down by powerful characters or massive tanks that really shouldn't be in small games.

Standard Missions:
Otherwise, know this. A legal 500 point necron army will not contain much except for a bare Lord and some Warriors. Now, this is all he needs, but he won't have all the flashy fun wargear that makes the Necrons tick. If you knock enough of them down, they won't have enough Warriors to get back up. So let's look at the numbers:

Necron Lord
11xWarriors
11xWarriors

This is all he can take, legally. If he drops two warriors, he could have this:

Necron Lord w/ Res Orb
10xWarriors
10xWarriors

If you can reduce him to 5 or 6 models, he'll phase out. But that will be difficult in a small game even for Tau. You will either need a lot of volume fire, or you'll need strong low ap firepower. That means, plasma and fusion and possibly a hammerhead. If you could knock down 10 to 11 Necrons in a single turn, and they have no models within range for the WBB, then they do not get that WBB. So you want to try and separate them. Have half of his force chase you one direction from another if possible. A Shas'el with plasma and a fusion blaster will be able to pretty much take down 3 warriors, if supported by a bunch of firewarriors, you may be able to take down a few more. But you need an edge to take it further, in which case, I would really say to grab yourself another XV8 with twinlinked plasma. I really avoid taking vehicles against Necrons due to the ease of destruction, so it will give you a lot of room for serious twinlinked plasma goodies. If you have 3 XV8's in total (including the shas'el) that will be sufficient plasma and a fusion blaster to bring down 5 or 6 Warriors without saves. Firewarriors or Kroot to take it from there to bring down the other 4 to 5 warriors will still be needed.

Best advice I can probably tell you is to take twinlinked plasma on the suits and as many firewarriors as you can. Hit him hard and concentrate your fire until a squad is down--hopefully nothing is close enough to allow the WBB roll. You'll take casualty, and then want to do it again on the next turn. I wouldn't bother taking Kroot in this fight at the 500 point level--you want as many strong guns as you can, wounding on 3's will cause more dice rolling on his side than wounding on 4's afterall.

Good luck man--try and get him to play Patrol, it's a better format for the small games.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 16:09   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

If you want to play a beardy min-maxing army (and you may need to to win in this case), play one Fireknife Shas'El, two twin-linked PR Crisis, two 7-man minimized Fire Warrior squads, and one Ion Cannon Hammerhead. It absolutely smacks of Cheese, but it should obliterate a 500-point necron force. He can only have 22 warriors, max. With 9 AP3 shots per turn facing nothing but Gauss flayers, you should have no trouble if he didn't take the Rez Orb. If your opponent is silly enough to bring anything besides warriors, try to ignore it and focus on them.

For a more balanced approach, take a Fireknife Shas'EL, one 12-man Fire Warrior squad, One 20-man kroot squad, and the Hammerhead. This one might have a little more trouble, but if you soften up one warrior squad at a time and then finish them off with the kroot, it may work.

Seperate the squads if you can, but it is more important to keep your firepower concentrated on one unit.
Old 17 Mar 2005, 17:01   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Is there something especially good against necs?
Old 17 Mar 2005, 17:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryss
Is there something especially good against necs?
Plasma Rifles? lol...they don't get to use their "We'll Be Back" rule with weapons that negates their armour saves...
Old 17 Mar 2005, 17:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Quote:
Plasma Rifles? lol...they don't get to use their "We'll Be Back" rule with weapons that negates their armour saves...
Yes they do. The only thing that negates their WBB rule is a weapon that is double their tougness (ie: S8) or a close combat weapon attack that ignores armor saves.

Those horrible, horrible Necrons
Old 17 Mar 2005, 17:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Boardsides, as many as you can field, although 3 is reasonable in a 500pt game. After that, as many FWs and XV15s as you can put on the table. S&S baby. Other than that, I got nothing. Pray?
3) Tau are a team: Stick together.

[size=8pt]40k v4.0 FAQs[/size]
[size=8pt]official Rail Rifle rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Forge World Rules and Models[/size]
[size=8pt]Crisis Configurations[/size]
[size=8pt]Gue'vesa: Tau Human Auxiliary rules[/size]
[size=8pt]Mechanized Tau Tactica[/size]
[size=8pt]TauOnline Tactica[/size]
Closed Thread